• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022 Vuelta a Espana Stage 1(Utrecht-Utrecht), 23.3km TTT

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Team Time Trials is a quite historic and important discipline in cycling. For that reason alone (almost), Im fine with them, and when they are +10 kilometres long, theres something at stake as well.

Aint nobody can sit with a straight face and say they'd prefer to watch the two stages proceeding over the TTT. Theres something happening, there's small gaps, we get the teams introduced. Its not bad at all.
I don't have a major issue with them and don't mind them to be included in the races . I just don't watch because they are not interesting to me really.

I posted that because I was bored in the tram. Sorry

but Masnada is riding!
True, and I am excited to see his level in this la vuelta. But there is no much he can do in the TTT that demonstrates his natural panache.

Anyway these days when I sit down to watch Fausto he has bad luck and bad results. So maybe if I don't watch he can lead deckeuninck across the line and get the red jersey.

Actually last year lombardia, great Fausto performance I was travelling and only saw little of the live stream on my phone

There certainly is a place for the TTTs in GTs. However, they need to be designed in a way that affirms team(work) qualities in fullness.
Long enough to test endurance, undulating and winding to test the choice of the turns and coordination, with reasonably lengthy power stretches.
Making the right mix of these segments makes a good TTT.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Is there a chance for Remco to get annoyed by how slow his teammates are going?

Fad4407XoAAi0Z0

Probably won't watch this, it's a TTT and I'm a cycling fan

Is utrecht a good city ? Anybody from utrrecht here?
The only reason I won't be watching is it happens at 1:30am here. I think TTTs really add to grand tours as a spectacle. Good that the Vuelta makes it stage 1 that means the time gaps may make attacking more likely for the rest of the race.

Jumbo and Ineos look the strongest teams for this on paper. I think the technical course means crashes are a real possibility.

True, and I am excited to see his level in this la vuelta. But there is no much he can do in the TTT that demonstrates his natural panache.

Anyway these days when I sit down to watch Fausto he has bad luck and bad results. So maybe if I don't watch he can lead deckeuninck across the line and get the red jersey.

Actually last year lombardia, great Fausto performance I was travelling and only saw little of the live stream on my phone

Perhaps you could get some kind of filter, that could crop out the other QS riders from the picture, so you could watch Masnada ride a 23 km ITT?

Why does this stage start so late in the afternoon btw? :)

I actually think this could become the perfect Friday for Utrecht‘s male population: go to work, do some shopping, have a beer with friends, go to visit the first stage of the Vuelta, (have some eroticism), get tired, go to sleep.

Stage 1 is good, stages 2 and 3 look rather boring. I hope they‘ll be good, however. Racing in the Netherlands is mostly good. The Vuelta start 2009 in the BeNeLux was also quite good.

Looking forward to these days - but will miss Nairo, mostly in the mass sprints, where he‘s a safe Top-15 candidate :)

Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm OK with TTTs particularly when they occur on stage 1: it's a team win which is cool, and in the best case scenario, two or three riders will wear the leader's jersey as a result of winning the TTT as a team.

It's only 23 km long, being the best duo per team is big. Remco and Remi Cavagna have a great supporting cast: a decent Alaf' would close the deal. Ilan is The Man against the clock. The team has depth for this exercise and will make pulls to give Remco and Remi a few breathers without missing a beat.

Remco and Cavagna to rip the pavement thus creating mountains in Utrecht. Mark my words...:cool:

Why do you love them

For me:

Poetry in motion

Requires unbelievable skill and technique

And it was personally my favorite race to compete in. I loved the communication between teammates

Also, I find TTs of all kinds more dramatic than many stages. There will be gaps. Has an affect on GC. There will be surprises and teams that do worse than expected. They are inherently dramatic. More than can be said for sprint stages, many breakaway stages and the recent preponderance of MTFs ending in an explosive sprint to gain bonuses only…

Starting Times

18:30 : Burgos-BH
18:34 : Intermarché-Wanty Gobert
18:38 : Israël-Premier Tech
18:42 : Groupama-FDJ
18:46 : Arkéa-Samsic
18:50 : Cofidis
18:54 : Euskaltel-Euskadi
18:58 : EF-EasyPost
19:02 : BikeExchange
19:06 : AG2R-Citroën
19:10 : Bahrain Victorious
19:14 : Lotto Soudal
19:18 : Alpecin-Deceuninck
19:22 : Équipo Kern Pharma
19:26 : Team DSM
19:30 : BORA-hansgrohe
19:34 : Team UAE
19:38 : Astana Qazaqstan
19:42 : Trek-Segafredo
19:46 : INEOS Grenadiers
19:50 : Quick-Step-Alpha Vinyl
19:54 : Movistar
19:58 : Jumbo-Visma

With so many turns on the route it wouldn't surprise me if he'll slow the team down on several occasions.
Well, i'm all for poking some fun, but i don't think that you'll find many other WT riders that spend as much time on the TT bike as Evenepoel.

I actually think this could become the perfect Friday for Utrecht‘s male population: go to work, do some shopping, have a beer with friends, go to visit the first stage of the Vuelta, (have some eroticism), get tired, go to sleep.

There's so much in that sentence that can be misinterpreted that I don't even know where to even start :fearscream::joycat:

TRENDING THREADS