• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022 Vuelta route rumors

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Alto da Torre would be great fun, and finally give us a chance to test the wattages against the Portuguese machines. If no Angliru, Fancuayu would be best after Cobertoria east, San Lorenzo east and La Colledoria west imo. If there is Angliru we'd already have been real close to there and possibly even used Cobertoria West heading into Angliru so it would be too repetitious and they might need something more like that 39x28 stage that goes over Bustellán (a climb that is ripe for discovery, if they can chain that with Peñas del Viento and then head toward La Colledoria or San Lorenzo west/Marabio south that would be a worthy queen stage). A stage around Granada screams Hazallanas to me, although Hazallanas with a descent finish (or descending through Monachil to climb to Cumbres Verdes) would perhaps be best of all as a final mountain stage.

I've always been a bit surprised Guillén hasn't gone to Atarfe to climb to Los Tres Juanes when he's around Granada too.

3juanes.gif

I would love to see the WT peloton climbing up the Alto da Torre, after so many years.

A hardFrench Pais Vasco stage with Beillurti and an easier uphill finish back in Spain in Luzaide/Valcarlo please!
You could even make it a Chanson de Roland themed stage, probably not the most PC thing to do nowadays, but as long as you don't go for a full Reconquista themed Vuelta it should be fine.

I think I've checked on Strava, but the south side doesn't have any crazy gradients either right, just big ass rocks?
Still, a 40+ km climb with over 2500 height meters and no descents and a minimum of flat sections. It would be like something we hadn't seen before. When the riders reached the normal stage finish at 2500 meter they would probably be tired already. And they would still have 10-11 km and 700-800 height meters left.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It's fine we'll drop everyone right at the beach where those damn mountain goats can't handle the air pressure
You know that the Track and Field guys in my class during highschool actually talked about that one? How they should have more competitions at moderate altitude because close to sea level they actually had a disadvantage coming straight down from the mountains. One of the was actually a NC on the 400m back when he was 15/16 years old.
It is worth mentioning that our school had a PE teacher who was a well respected T&F coach who got namedropped on national TV during those events. The fact that he looked like a clean shaved Hitler only added to his legend.;)

You know that the Track and Field guys in my class during highschool actually talked about that one? How they should have more competitions at moderate altitude because close to sea level they actually had a disadvantage coming straight down from the mountains. One of the was actually a NC on the 400m back when he was 15/16 years old.
It is worth mentioning that our school had a PE teacher who was a well respected T&F coach who got namedropped on national TV during those events. The fact that he looked like a clean shaved Hitler only added to his legend.;)
I grew up at 30 meters and would blame altitude for hitting the fence in tennis all the time.

Would've been a great player at -2000m

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
A hardFrench Pais Vasco stage with Beillurti and an easier uphill finish back in Spain in Luzaide/Valcarlo please!
You could even make it a Chanson de Roland themed stage, probably not the most PC thing to do nowadays, but as long as you don't go for a full Reconquista themed Vuelta it should be fine.
A French Pais Vasco stage?

ERROZAAAAAAATE!

Asturian TV rumours two stages in the region at Fancuaya and Cuitu Negru. Not sure how reliable is the rumour on the second one.

There's also a stage departure from Camargo in Cantabria the day after the MTF at Pico Jano.

Camargo is too far from the climbs in central Asturias. The shortest distance between Camargo and San Isidro or Cuitu Negru is 230km. The only hard long climbs within distance of Camargo are Jitu d'Escarandi and Covadonga. And having Pico Fano and the two Asturian MTFs in a row the first week seems a bit too much. My guess is that either the first Asturian stage is a hilly one (like Gijon in 2017 before Angliru) or they go from Cantabria to somewhere in Leon before the Asturian stages.

Reactions: Breh and Red Rick
Camargo would make more sense with the existing rumours if they were doing Asturias first, but that would then mean three MTFs in a row in week 1 which, I mean, I guess it IS the Vuelta, but still. From a geographic standpoint, arriving in Asturias from León via Ventana to do San Lorenzo E, La Colledoria and Fancuayu, or via Somiedo to do San Lorenzo W, Marabio and Fancuayu, would make sense but the steep final 3km of Cuitu Negru would likely harm any possibility of real action - nevertheless the Vuelta does love to neuter its other stages with things like Farrapona always preceding Angliru. But this would also explain the 'two stages in Asturias' spiel because if they finished at Valgrande-Pajáres, then the following stage could be the Pico Jano one and could easily start in León or Palencia, maybe using the Panderrueda/Pandetrave/Pontón/San Glorio area; something like this suggestion for a Fuente Dé stage from the PRC guys but with Pico Jano instead of Fuente Dé on the end would work (this suggestion predates the climb's actual involvement in the race - it dates back to 2010):

villaviciosa-fuente-de.png

The flip side is that would entail starting in Asturias to climb Pandetrave in full, so it wouldn't be quite the lengthy ascent you see there. Instead it would be 8km of false flat and then the last 5km of the climb from Pontón to Pandetrave, so unless you started in León or Palencia, finished in Cantabria but used Asturias for much of the mid-stage action, it would be difficult to beef up. Coming from Pico Jano being first, it seems counterintuitive to then transfer a decent distance east just to travel west the following stage, especially as it makes it unrealistically long for the Vuelta in recent years to do either of the proposed MTFs, especially knowing that Asturias is likely to only have two stages.

As for Piornal, this was the best I could come up with quickly:

lFGA4Xr.png

There are a couple of tougher stretches to the south to approach the climb, the Arroyomolinos side with its 3,5km at 9,3% in the middle, but then only one more kilometre of real climbing before 6 at false flat to the line; and the side via Rabanillo and Barrado which includes the 5km @ 7,3% section of Barrado.

I have gone for a route which climbs the steep part of the Arroyomolinos side, then only 4km of the false flat, so putting the steep stuff finishing just over 20km from home, descending through Barrado and Rabanillo to Cabrera, then climbing this side of Piornal from about km7 (Cabrera village) to km16 (Piornal centre).

Bilbao bids for the departure of the stage to Pico Jano. That will be stage 6. Stage 5 will be hosted in the province of Alava.

This more or less confirms the rumour of Asturias hosting the race at the end of the first week.

TRENDING THREADS