• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro D’Italia Route Rumors

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It is worrying but Giro 2023 risk the fate of having the worst route of the GT's - something I find very rare.

What about gravel? Is it rumoured somewhere? Stages with possible stretches of gravel?
I haven't been following the other GT's rumours so I can't tell, but at least I'm pretty sure the route is gonna be significantly better than 2022, which is not saying much, granted, but it's something.

No, no gravel. It was initially rumoured (a few months ago) but it died out quickly.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Here is our full route preview on Cicloweb, with some profiles that we consider likely. Obviously some of them are likelier than others, and where we have no idea we didn't put anything.
Obviously props to Francesco Dani, who wrote the article by himself.

For me the biggest disappointment is the penultimate weekend. Stage 14 in particular. The stage to Bergamo seems nice for a break away but doesn't even leave a notion of false hope that a GC-battle could occur.

In a vacuum, I like the first week and the third week is also reasonable but that second week?

For me the biggest disappointment is the penultimate weekend. Stage 14 in particular. The stage to Bergamo seems nice for a break away but doesn't even leave a notion of false hope that a GC-battle could occur.

In a vacuum, I like the first week and the third week is also reasonable but that second week?

That seems to be a day where you could lose the giro, but not win it

small correction, the finish of stage 14 appears to be in Cassano Magnago, not Cesano Maderno. The nature of the stage is still the same, but maybe there is some room to have something slightly interesting in the finale there.

most likely option still seems simplonpass and than a complete flat stage on the banks of Laggo Maggiore. The stage would be around 180k in that case. Only small bump in the final could be Monta Motta (in Golasecca) around 11 k before the finish (around 60/70 meters high difference max). To really add something significant in the final I do see not many option, withoud adding a lot of kilometers.

Meanwhile it was confirmed that the Fossombrone stage (stage 8) will feature the colle dei Capuccini murito twice, like the T-A stage that Lutsenko won in 2019, but it's gonna be a bit different than that one. Muro for the first time, then the Monte delle Cesane and then the muro for the 2nd time.

Source: https://www.ilrestodelcarlino.it/pe...-a-fossombrone-per-sondare-la-tappa-1.8175862
The Capuccini climb:
19030446168-hoehenprofil-tirreno---adriatico-2019-etappe-4-letzte-925-km.jpg

The Cesane climb:
giro06st07-cesaneprofile.jpg

Honestly, that sounds pretty awesome. Yes, it comes right before the ITT, but also right after the +200km Campo Imperatore MTF, that stage will do some legit damage.

Meanwhile it was confirmed that the Fossombrone stage (stage 8) will feature the colle dei Capuccini murito twice, like the T-A stage that Lutsenko won in 2019, but it's gonna be a bit different than that one. Muro for the first time, then the Monte delle Cesane and then the muro for the 2nd time.

Source: https://www.ilrestodelcarlino.it/pe...-a-fossombrone-per-sondare-la-tappa-1.8175862
The Capuccini climb:
19030446168-hoehenprofil-tirreno---adriatico-2019-etappe-4-letzte-925-km.jpg

The Cesane climb:
giro06st07-cesaneprofile.jpg

Honestly, that sounds pretty awesome. Yes, it comes right before the ITT, but also right after the +200km Campo Imperatore MTF, that stage will do some legit damage.
That causes damage unless we have last years Giro peloton, which seems highly unlikely.

most likely option still seems simplonpass and than a complete flat stage on the banks of Laggo Maggiore. The stage would be around 180k in that case. Only small bump in the final could be Monta Motta (in Golasecca) around 11 k before the finish (around 60/70 meters high difference max). To really add something significant in the final I do see not many option, withoud adding a lot of kilometers.

First of all, before those news came, I created a stage towards the Lago Maggiore:

Nevertheless, if Cassano Magnago is the finish, they might climb the Mottarone. (cancelled in 2021 due to the Cable-Railway-Accident)

Tomorrow is the presentation. All seems confirmed. The final stage will start from Ostia.

1 Fossacesia Marina - Ortona ITT
2 Teramo - San Salvo
3 Vasto - Melfi
4 Venosa - Lago Laceno
5 Atripalda - Salerno
6 Napoli - Napoli
7 Capua - Campo Imperatore
8 Terni - Fossombrone
9 Savignano al Rubicone - Cesena ITT
REST
10 Scandiano - Viareggio
11 Camaiore - Tortona
12 Bra - Rivoli
13 Borgofranco di Ivrea - Crans Montana
14 Sierre - Cassano Magnago
15 Seregno - Bergamo
REST
16 Sabbio Chiese - Monte Bondone
17 Pergine Valsugana - Caorle
18 Oderzo - Zoldo Alto
19 Longarone - Tre Cime di Lavaredo
20 Tarvisio - Monte Lussari ITT
21 Ostia - Roma

Tomorrow is the presentation. All seems confirmed. The final stage will start from Ostia.

1 Fossacesia Marina - Ortona ITT
2 Teramo - San Salvo
3 Vasto - Melfi
4 Venosa - Lago Laceno
5 Atripalda - Salerno
6 Napoli - Napoli
7 Capua - Campo Imperatore
8 Terni - Fossombrone
9 Savignano al Rubicone - Cesena ITT
REST
10 Scandiano - Viareggio
11 Camaiore - Tortona
12 Bra - Rivoli
13 Borgofranco di Ivrea - Crans Montana
14 Sierre - Cassano Magnago
15 Seregno - Bergamo
REST
16 Sabbio Chiese - Monte Bondone
17 Pergine Valsugana - Caorle
18 Oderzo - Zoldo Alto
19 Longarone - Tre Cime di Lavaredo
20 Tarvisio - Monte Lussari ITT
21 Ostia - Roma
Stage 17 is the typical 3rd week flat burger?

• Wow
Random question, but does anyone know of any databases or anything showing when a city was last used in the Giro? I found this: http://www.ledicodutour.com/menu_villes_etapes.html for the Tour, and was wondering if anyone knows of anything similar for the Giro?

on PCS you can do a search on the town name and you will get the last finishes/starts.

TRENDING THREADS