• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro D’Italia Route Rumors

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aren't they starting a week later this year?

If so, why don't they put Bondone on Pentecost Sunday and Drei Zinnen on Pentecost Monday for the audition in South Tyrol, Austria & Germany since it's a holiday there?

Push the final restday to Tuesday.

That way you could either put Zoldo Alto on Friday or keep it at Thursday, but nevertheless make it substantially harder to level out the 3 TT's.

That makes a lot more sense IMHO than the 3 in a row block. Seems like they haven't learned a single bit from the 2008 Giro d'Italia mistakes of stage placement.

If a major mountain stage is midweeks anyway. Better put Drei Zinnen on a holiday elsewhere, than waste Zoldo Alto on a workday just everywhere.

Theoretically you could even materialize Zoncolan on Wednesday then, if you're a sadist! :D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Longarone to Tre Cime on stage 19.

The short version would be something like Cibiana, Staulanza, Giau and Tre Croce and would only about 125 km.

A longer version could be to do a longer loop with San Pellegrino, Pordoi, Giau and Tre Croce. Close to 200 km. Too much flat between the climbs IMO, but at least it would be decent length and number of height meters.

You can't include 70 kilometres of TT's any more, since the mountains don't create enough gaps any more with the current gearing to level it out.

That said less than 20 kilometers of TT's in a grand tour are beyond comical as well.

The Giro d'Italia used to do it properly for long years. Having a good, long TT and enough mountains to let it swing one direction or the other.

The 2020 Giro d'Italia still had a perfectly fine route that created a well deserved winner in Geoghegan Hart due to the final TT.

Dunno why Vegni has lost it that much the past editions.
That is just false. Mountains can still create great gaps, just look at the Tour this year.

Repaved just before the rainy and snowy season(s)?!
Must be a smashing deal.
Welcome to Italy!

That said, if the road is closed during the winter the snow insulates it and there's no salt on the road, so it's not as much of a problem. I'm way more annoyed when they repave roads in the valley at this time of the year up here in the mountains, what's the point of doing that? Given the altitude it would also be really hard to repave the whole thing in time if you just opened it in the spring.

Passo Cibiana? Is that the highlight of a stage in the Dolomiti?
Just before Zoldo Alto if they are to finish there.
Gavia is the only rumor that gives me hope so far.
Unfortunately it doesn't fit in with any of the other rumours. Hope they'll use it as a penultimate or last mountain stage soon. Gavia descent to Bormino or finish at Bormio 2000. Or even continue to Livigno via Foscagno and Eira.

Passo Cibiana would be an alternative to Zoldo Alto, assuming they do the Duran first, it is basically the same stage.
It is an assumption, naturally :D
Nah, just give for Rifugio Talamini/Forcella Chiandolada from the east before Cibiana, that thing has ramps aupto 30% and is IMO at least as hard as the Zoncolan.
rifugio-talamini-vodo-di-cadore.png

Tre Cime could easily just be Giau and Tre Croci. It's a legit good combination, Giau move definitely possible, but day before Lussari TT
And it could also be San Pellegrino/Fedaia - Pordoi - Giau - Tre Croci. But either way I would be suprised if there is a big selection to only a few riders before the last kms to Tre Cime. The Lussari MTT is really poorly placed.

I'm also suprised that RCS doesn't take advantage of the many opportunities that Italy offers when it comes to the big climb - small climb combo. The Giro have far better options here than the Tour and Vuelta. And the stage finish locations for these kind of stages are also often big ski resorts or towns of a decent size. So I find it really strange that they don't use these options. Neither the classic Mortirolo-Aprica nor the Finestre-Sestriere combo has been used since 2015. And you also have several other good options here.

And it could also be San Pellegrino/Fedaia - Pordoi - Giau - Tre Croci. But either way I would be suprised if there is a big selection to only a few riders before the last kms to Tre Cime. The Lussari MTT is really poorly placed.

I'm also suprised that RCS doesn't take advantage of the many opportunities that Italy offers when it comes to the big climb - small climb combo. The Giro have far better options here than the Tour and Vuelta. And the stage finish locations for these kind of stages are also often big ski resorts or towns of a decent size. So I find it really strange that they don't use these options. Neither the classic Mortirolo-Aprica nor the Finestre-Sestriere combo has been used since 2015. And you also have several other good options here.
Finestre-Sestriere was in 2018. They had San Carlo-Courmayeur and Mortirolo-Ponte di Legno in 2019. Stelvio+ Torre in 2020 along with the canceled Agnello/Izoard monster stage.

To me it weirdly seems like they gave up after 2020.

• Sad

TRENDING THREADS