• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro D’Italia Route Rumors

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tre cime di lavaredo is a proper queen mountain stage. But i'm a bit disappointed with no rumours about zoncolan,mortirolo, gavia, Stelvio, finestre.

I believe, that for climbs like Mortirolo, Stelvio, Gavia or Finestre, the nearby ski towns of Bormio, Aprica or Sestriere have to host the stage finish. So if those cities are not willing to pay for a finish, the finish won't be there.

I am interested (and soon to be disappointed I guess) how the stage to Crans Montana will look like. If the Giro climbs from Italy to Switzerland over the Passo Gran San Bernardo, they have a lot of options between the Bernardo and Crans Montana. Before entering the Rhone valley after the descent the peloton could climb over either the Lac de Champex, Col du Lein or Croix de Coeur. Afterwards the could climb up towards some ski towns, namely Ovronnaz, Dailon and/or Anzére (all north of the Rhone valley). So this stage could become also a kind of queen stage with about or more then 5000 altitude meters, or it just could be |long climb - long flat valley - not so hard summit finish|

I believe, that for climbs like Mortirolo, Stelvio, Gavia or Finestre, the nearby ski towns of Bormio, Aprica or Sestriere have to host the stage finish. So if those cities are not willing to pay for a finish, the finish won't be there.
Yep, probably if we're discussing specific resorts. But they have completely stopped doing the classic "big climb - small climb" combo after 2020, and rather shorter and steep MTFs like Sega di Ala, Fedaia, Lavarone, Alpe di Mera, etc., I don't think that is a coincidence, it is probably a deliberate strategy from RCS.

I am interested (and soon to be disappointed I guess) how the stage to Crans Montana will look like. If the Giro climbs from Italy to Switzerland over the Passo Gran San Bernardo, they have a lot of options between the Bernardo and Crans Montana. Before entering the Rhone valley after the descent the peloton could climb over either the Lac de Champex, Col du Lein or Croix de Coeur. Afterwards the could climb up towards some ski towns, namely Ovronnaz, Dailon and/or Anzére (all north of the Rhone valley). So this stage could become also a kind of queen stage with about or more then 5000 altitude meters, or it just could be |long climb - long flat valley - not so hard summit finish|
The Giro needs a big mountain stage before the last week, and this now seems like the only opportunity. Depending on where they are starting the stage (hopefully in the town or at least valley of Aosta), it should be quite possible to add at least two climbs between GSB and Crand Montana. The best options would probably be Ovronnaz and at least Anzere. The latter should really be done just before Crans.

Reactions: Sandisfan

This one has about 6000 meters of altitude gained. Might be to much, but the double of Anzère and Crans Montana really looks quiet good.

I am at the moment looking for a proper but not hard (medium) mountain stage back over the Simplonpass for the following day.

This one has about 6000 meters of altitude gained. Might be to much, but the double of Anzère and Crans Montana really looks quiet good.
I'm pretty sure that is never going to happen. I'll be more than satisfied if they do Overonnaz and Anzere before Crans. Also and more importantly, I think and hope they should descend only to Lens after Anzere before climbing the shortest route the last section to Crans.

The start of the Giro has been unveiled, stage 7 will the the Gran Sasso MTF

grande-partenza_2023-ita.png

t01_ortona_itt_alt.png

t02_sansalvo_alt.png

• Wow
so, how could the first week look like in that case?

1. Fossacesia – Ortona (Cr.Ind) (decent opening time trail)
  2. Teramo - San Salvo (boring sprint stage on a Sunday)
  3. Vasto - ?? (Lago Laceno ???) (semi uphil finish, the one were they forgot to drop Hesjedal in 2012)
  4. ?? - ?? (Lago Laceno ???)
  5. ??? - ???
  6. ??? - Sorrento (??) (sprint, hilly or even Mont Fiato??)
  7. ??? - Gran Sasso d’Italia Campo Imperatore
    (the will arive from the south, so something like: Valico del Macerone - Rionero Sannitico - Roccaraso - flat part - Calascio - Valico di Monte Cecco d'Antonio - Campo Imperatore)
  8. Terni (??) - Fossombrone (hilly?? or even Monte Catria??)
  9. individual time trail in Emilia Romagna (around 30 kilometers)

rest day
or there some more rumours already for the first week?

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
It's the same one as the 2018 Giro, at least the last 140km.

Given the scale I'd say it will be about the same length, maybe a bit shorter.

Here the 2018 stage. The last 145 seems to be the same. Only the first part of the stage seems somewhat easier and shorter for next year.

etappe-9-profiel.jpg

If you count the final climb as one, it's almost 45 k uphill. Only some really short downhills and flat parts. Favorites will always wait for the final part. But if a team likes to drill it on the Calascio, difference in the final 5 k, still could be decent.

calascio-capestrano.png

valico-di-monte-cecco-d-antonio-calascio.png

etappe-9-5km.jpg

Here the 2018 stage. The last 145 seems to be the same. Only the first part of the stage seems somewhat easier and shorter for next year.

etappe-9-profiel.jpg

If you count the final climb as one, it's almost 45 k uphill. Only some really short downhills and flat parts. Favorites will always wait for the final part. But if a team likes to drill it on the Calascio, difference in the final 5 k, still could be decent.

calascio-capestrano.png

valico-di-monte-cecco-d-antonio-calascio.png

etappe-9-5km.jpg

In 2018, that was not really the case. Only smal differences between the favourites. Only Froome lost more than a minute.

Results 9th stage 2018 Giro d’Italia
  1. Simon Yates (gbr)
  2. Thibaut Pinot (fra) s.t.
  3. Esteban Chaves (col) s.t.
  4. Domenico Pozzovivo (ita) + 0.04
  5. Richard Carapaz (ecu) s.t.
  6. Davide Formolo (ita) + 0.10
  7. George Bennett (nzl) + 0.12
  8. Tom Dumoulin (nld) s.t.
  9. Miguel Ángel López (col) s.t.
  10. Giulio Ciccone (ita) + 0.24
  11. Ben O’Connor (aus) + 0.26
  12. Michael Woods (can) + 0.36
  13. Pello Bilbao (spa) + 0.52
  14. Louis Meintjes (rsa) + 1.00
  15. Wout Poels (nld) + 1.02
  16. Sam Oomen (nld) s.t.
  17. Rohan Dennis (aus) s.t.
  18. Chris Froome (gbr) + 1.07
  19. Fabio Aru (ita) + 1.14
  20. Sergio Henao (col) + 1.17
In 1999 they approached the climb from another side (only the final kilometers are the same)

DP0FUS3X0AEYog9.jpg

Different times, still not very big differences back then:

1 PANTANI Marco Mercatone Uno - Bianchi 80 7:09:00
2 JIMÉNEZ José María Banesto 50 0:23
3 ZÜLLE Alex Banesto 35 0:26
4 GOTTI Ivan Polti 25 0:33
5 NOÈ Andrea Mapei - Quickstep 18 0:42
6 CLAVERO Daniel Vitalicio Seguros - Grupo Generali 15 ,,
7 FRIGO Dario Saeco - Cannondale 12 ,,
8 HONCHAR Serhiy Vini Caldirola - Sidermec 10 0:58
9 CODOL Massimo Lampre - Daikin - Colnago 8 1:00
10 CAMENZIND Oscar Lampre - Daikin - Colnago 6 ,,