• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Fossacesia Marina – Ortona 19.6 km ITT (Saturday, May 6th)

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What are they smoking? Having the leaders jersey is a completely non-issue

Dominant performance, but expected. This is what he does, and one of the reasons I thought this Giro wouldnt be that close.

Im more intrigued by UAE and what they can do with their numbers. All of their riders has a really high top level, so stage 13 for example can be a blood bath already.
indeed, in that sense Almeida/Vine/Tao have performed above expectations i believe.

What are they smoking? Having the leaders jersey is a completely non-issue

Dominant performance, but expected. This is what he does, and one of the reasons I thought this Giro wouldnt be that close.

Im more intrigued by UAE and what they can do with their numbers. All of their riders has a really high top level, so stage 13 for example can be a blood bath already.
Like everyone else they thought it would be a lot closer here today. Getting pink with a couple seconds on Roglic and your team has to work. But yeah you have to go all out in an TT, winning the stage and leader jersey is another box checked. The team will thrive on it.

It still forces the other teams to be active.
I agree in theory it would have been nice if the gap to Roglic had been 10-20 seconds, he would have had do something other than sit on Remco's wheel for 99% of The Giro.

The reality is, and was always more likely, that with so much TT, Evenepoel can cruise round. Maybe it's just me, but I haven't got much interest in watching a cagey fight for the podium after the first day?

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt
Great win by Remco. But it was actually not that far off expectations, Evenepoel was a bit faster and Ganna and Roglic a bit slower than I thought, particularly in the flat. But of the second-tier contenders, only Geoghan Hart and Almeida have shown some form so far this year and they were both pretty good. Thomas, Caruso, Haig, Carthy and Vlasov haven't been riding all that hot, and while none of them surpassed expectations only Haig and Carthy had truly bad days, and even they weren't abysmal.

If teams play it straight then surely Evenopoel had made himself the big favorite unless he runs into trouble or fades at the end. But looking at those rosters I find it hard to see Van Wilder, Hirt and Cattaneo being able to bring back guys like Kuss, Buitrago, McNulty, Arensman or Uran if they get up the road. Maybe Evenepoel is the second coming of Merckx and doesn't need teammates, or perhaps he can coax some of the other podium contenders to do some work for him. But if a couple of teams have the cojones to go for it this Giro might be a fun one.

Reactions: jmdirt
I agree in theory it would have been nice if the gap to Roglic had been 10-20 seconds, he would have had do something other than sit on Remco's wheel for 99% of The Giro.

The reality is, and was always more likely, that with so much TT, Evenepoel can cruise round. Maybe it's just me, but I haven't got much interest in watching a cagey fight for the podium after the first day?
If Roglič was at 10-20 seconds that would be almost bonus second territory. If Remco can just cruise around from now on it‘s either because Roglič and the others lack confidence and never really believed they could win the Giro anyway or because Remco is so amazing that the amount of TT is irrelevant and he‘s nosebreathing up the climbs.

Reactions: YavorD

Roglic is 43 seconds behind with plenty of mountain to go. I don't see the reason for this pessimism, if he is good on the climbs he has plenty of time to take it back.