• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Fossacesia Marina – Ortona 19.6 km ITT (Saturday, May 6th)

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
any idea what kind of bikes EOLO was using today? @pastronef maybe?

erik-fetter-of-hungary-and-team-eolo-kometa-sprints-next-to-the-trabucco-fishing-platform.webp

repainted old Scott Plasma maybe?

Reactions: search
Congratulations to Remco Evenepoel for winning the opening time trial.

Giro has officially started! After stage 1 there are not that many unknowns left. Who the main contenders for top GC places are. Evenepoel did an exceptional TT. Ineos and UAE both with three riders in top 10. Roglič around 20s behind Ganna and finishing in the same time as Küng. Vlasov rounding the top 10. If Almeida would have shave he likely would gain a second or two. But who cares about that if you have mustache. Tao was a bit disappointed. Likely due to Evenepoel gaining that much time. Hopefully Ineos hasn't given up already. Likely not.

Roglič finishing 43s behind Evenepoel is not an ideal scenario for him. A good thing for Roglič is that on the final ramp Evenepoel wasn't gaining anything substantial anymore. Bonus seconds likely won't decide the overall anymore. So to compensate for today and stage 9 Roglič more or less has one main option left. The one that Remco fans always demanded from him. So i guess lets see on how that goes. But before that some good racing and a bit of fun should be at play. And JV likely needs some time anyway, to train a bit for this Giro edition. Roglič was happy with his performance and stays optimistic and that is a good enough for me.

@Logic-is-your-friend I remember your prediction about Evenepoel "inexplicably" gaining time in the second part because of catching up rider ahead of him (which he did). Do you think this effect was not so drastic after all, or did Evenepoel actually ride the second part with a bit less power and the overtaking action has compensated for that (because he didn't gain any more time in the second part than in the first one compared to others)? Or what is your view?

Last edited:
This, not to mention the filthy Anglomals (pun intended) going crazy in the mountains.
Everyone who says the Giro is over hasn't watched enough editions of the race in recent history. When has the Giro been over before they entered the high mountains/after the TTs in the first half of the race?
^This. I would expect such hyperbole from people that just started watching cycling or casual cycling fans, but not here. It was a 20k ITT. The first stage of 21.
A lot of crazy sh-t can happen over the course of three weeks, and we all know it will. Be it snow, crashes, a certain stage that all of a sudden seems logistically impossible, a landslide, time-keeping now being just as shabby as the Italian tv-coverage / direction and we'll never know who finished in what time, you name it.

There's still a lot of spectacle to come. I know I didn't make it sound like it, but damn I love the Giro. Bring it on!

Last edited:
This, not to mention the filthy Anglomals (pun intended) going crazy in the mountains.
Everyone who says the Giro is over hasn't watched enough editions of the race in recent history. When has the Giro been over before they entered the high mountains/after the TTs in the first half of the race?
It's over, it's over
It didn't last very long
It's over, it's over
It seem to all turn out wrong

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad2kINPrpKE

@Logic-is-your-friend I remember your prediction about Evenepoel "inexplicably" gaining time in the second part because of catching up rider ahead of him (which he did). Do you think this effect was not so drastic after all, or did Evenepoel actually ride the second part with a bit less power and the overtaking action has compensated for that (because he didn't gain any more time in the second part than in the first one compared to others)? Or what is your view?
I think the effect was a lot less drastic than it could have been, because there was a tailwind. If it were a headwind, his overall time would have been slower, but he would have had a bigger gap on Ganna, and even more so due to overtaking a rider. In that case i believe overtaking Hoole would have bumped him between 5 and 10 seconds. Now i'm not seeing an anomaly compared to the first timecheck. But i'll try and look at the footage again, at what point he overtakes Hoole. Possibly this was in the technical section, which could even have slowed him down instead of the opposite. EDIT: As i thought, he caught Hoole after the narrow swirve going off the bikelane, meaning the car was already gone behind Hoole, and the speed was slower due to the technical section + speed bump, so the advantage (along with the tail wind) was likely not significant.

Last edited:

View: https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1654930869516156931?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1654938817009270785%7Ctwgr%5E626eb58ab9ffd9fec1073ac9fbf79a28059fc3a5%7Ctwcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.cyclingnews.com%2Fthreads%2Fthe-remco-evenepoel-is-the-next-eddy-merckx-thread.34086%2Fpage-637

Don't really see a 'bump', but he probably will have had an advantage of second or two. (Was right before the climb, so maybe he didn't gain it on time during takeover but had a few seconds ''recovery'')

TRENDING THREADS