• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 2: Teramo – San Salvo 201 km (Sunday, May 7th)

From @Eshnar's excellent 2023 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-stage Analysis thread: https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threads/2023-giro-ditalia-stage-by-stage-analysis.38851/post-2828613

Stage 2: Teramo – San Salvo 201 km

Sunday, May 7th, 12:20 – 17:10 CEST

50cB1XpzjbXaYDhoYU5c_160423-101155.jpg

pRaRZn3QBtp1Tm9KiEP7_160423-101145.jpg

Technical Overview:

The first road stage of the 2023 edition starts in Teramo, and begins with 45 km of rolling terrain, including an ascent of 5.8 km at 3.9% towards Bellante. This section ends with the peloton reaching the Adriatic coast, which they will follow for pretty much the rest of the stage, with only a few small deviations. The first of them leads to the first categorized climb of Silvi Paese (GPM4, 3.5 km at 5.2%), that is followed by another coastal section and the first intermediate sprint of Pescara. The second deviation brings to the intermediate sprint of Chieti (4.6 km at 6.3%), which is actually the toughest climb of the day despite being uncategorized. After this, the peloton will hit the last climb of this stage, Ripa Teatina (GPM4, 1.9 km at 5.7%), which tops at 72 km to go. The rest is all flat to the finish line in San Salvo, almost always along the coast.

XNMvoU673PfHcdbgsMVX_160423-101157.jpg

The Climbs:

Silvi Paese
: GPM4, 3.5 km at 5.2%

Short and easy, good only to create some movement in the breakaway I suppose. No profile available.

Ripa Teatina: GPM4, 1.9 km at 5.7%

Just like the one above, only even shorter.

What to Expect:

Mass sprint. This is not a particularly windy coast, so don’t get your hopes up.

San%20Salvo.jpg

San Salvo

@Netserk If it's not too much trouble maybe it's interesting to add a poll to each race? Get the top 10 from a betting site and then a category "other" or something like that. Might be fun to have.
I hate polls in race threads with a passion. I find it super annoying to scroll past it on each page.

But you are more than welcome to open a separate thread with a poll.

Meh...I'll watch the highlights and catch up with the posts that I'm missing today...a lot of overreaction so far, and also some fun reads.

The route is built in such a way that the first rest day will serve its purpose and give a good sense of what's to come. That long and flat ITT on stage 9 will be over with, and at two seconds per kilometer, Remco can open a massive gap on Roglic if things are like today.

It's still early. Remco, Joao, and Tao are in a good spot.

TRENDING THREADS