• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 4: Venosa – Lago Laceno 175 km (Tuesday, May 9th)

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ah, SQS will be better soon… Remember the medium mountain stage in the first week of the TdF in 2005?

Lance was completely isolated at the final climb. No problem. In week two and three, Lance and all his men were dominant as ever.

I think it‘s about saving energy. JV seems to do that wirh Gloag too. His first GT. Better save energy, for later in the race.

I think Evenepoel and his team will be fine. Only remaining question in this Giro for me, is Primoz‘ mountain shape better than Remco‘s? Then only Primoz will win.

(Remember, Giro is a race about climbing. It‘s not about time trialing.)

• Haha
Reactions: Oldermanish
I don't think it's particularly nice that you and lots of others keep calling every motorcycle rider a motard.

Unless it's actually a real word but as I understand it, it's an amalgamation of motorcyclist and genius.

Edit: Apparently, the new site now censors the word r*tard and writes genius instead... Pretty daft.
Turns out motard is not an insult, but just French, which is arguably a lot worse.

My bro, you're comparing an all time great GT-team to Soudal Quickstep, a classics squad gone wrong with Remco and friends still trying to learn and grab some usable domestiques here and there. There's a world of difference between the two squad.

Yes, its not even close. Not in the slightest. Its like youre expecting the resurrection of Jesus, and let me tell you, that aint gonna happen.

Not necessarily, I‘d say… I think Hirt and van Wilder both are world class riders.

Van Wilder potentially is a future GT winner, and Hirt is a rider who can climb with the best in the world…
Popovych was a former U23 world champion and Paris-Roubaix Espoirs winner, that finished 3rd at the 2003 Giro d'Italia in his second pro season. He was 12th already in the 2002 Giro d'Italia as a neo-pro.

Van Wilder does have a history of subpar performances in bad weather. He stayed below expectations on Thyon2000 two years ago, also in bad weather (which he gave as explanation back then as well). In last year's Vuelta, he had dropped before Pico Jano, also when it was bad weather. Of course riding the opening of the stage at 200 per hour doesn't help. The problem is neither of the DS's in the team car are tactical geniuses.
That doesn't make things better for Remco though :).

A guy from Tromsø in maglia rosa! Sounds absurd. First Norwegian since Knut Knutsen in 1981. Well deserved. Andreas is such a nice person and a talented rider. Hopefully he can keep it a few stages.
Yeah, Leknessund really improved, step by step, and now is a really strong WT pro, who is taken seriously by his opponents.

Likeable rider, and likeable team (DSM)… :)

More worried about Hvideberg, another Norwegian rider from DSM, also at the Giro. He really has a hard time, since leaving U23 ranks. He also seems super nice. He struggles in every race, doesn‘t get results, and mostly is among the last finishers. I hope that DSM keep him on board, though. (I also assume these performance problems are clinic related - even more I hope he stays around…).

Van Wilder does have a history of subpar performances in bad weather. He stayed below expectations on Thyon2000 two years ago, also in bad weather (which he gave as explanation back then as well). In last year's Vuelta, he had dropped before Pico Jano, also when it was bad weather. Of course riding the opening of the stage at 200 per hour doesn't help. The problem is neither of the DS's in the team car are tactical geniuses.
Interesting, I don't follow him that closely. He seemed good at Liege this year and that weather was bad. I think that they burned a lot of matches early may have had as much to do with it today, it was team wide.

Last edited:
Not necessarily, I‘d say… I think Hirt and van Wilder both are world class riders.

Van Wilder potentially is a future GT winner, and Hirt is a rider who can climb with the best in the world…

Yea right, started to forget that Hirt might very well be the reincarnation of 1998 Marco Panatani with how good of a climber he is. If it was not for his weak TT he surely had won a couple of GTs already.

Please google Alesha Dixon and Mimicat Eurovision song Contest if you're not watching... :joycat:
I know this is directed at Jagartrott, but for the rest of us (or at least me), what am I specifically looking for?

PS - Being the world's most unnatural redhead for the past 40+ years (I do thank Ms Clairol for that) I remember pink, or any kind of pastel color, was a no-go for redheads back in the 80s. And then later on it was okay, and now it's not okay again? Fashion, and what's considered fashionable/ unfashionable at the time, confuses me!

I know this is directed at Jagartrott, but for the rest of us (or at least me), what am I specifically looking for?

PS - Being the world's most unnatural redhead for the past 40+ years (I do thank Ms Clairol for that) I remember pink, or any kind of pastel color, was a no-go for redheads back in the 80s. And then later on it was okay, and now it's not okay again? Fashion, and what's considered fashionable/ unfashionable at the time, confuses me!
FvtXfQ6XoAstEET

portugal932_v-fullhd.jpg

Ah, SQS will be better soon… Remember the medium mountain stage in the first week of the TdF in 2005?

Lance was completely isolated at the final climb. No problem. In week two and three, Lance and all his men were dominant as ever.

I think it‘s about saving energy. JV seems to do that wirh Gloag too. His first GT. Better save energy, for later in the race.

I think Evenepoel and his team will be fine. Only remaining question in this Giro for me, is Primoz‘ mountain shape better than Remco‘s? Then only Primoz will win.

(Remember, Giro is a race about climbing. It‘s not about time trialing.)
Yeah...except it's long since come out that this was done with...well...we can't talk about it in this forum.

TRENDING THREADS