• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 4: Venosa – Lago Laceno 175 km (Tuesday, May 9th)

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Why did the group of the favorites actually sprint for no reason today? KÄMNA even gave a leadout to Vlasov..
Just in case gaps open up, no doubt. It was a reasonable tactical decision to let the jersey go but I doubt the new Pink's team will be able to defend much. It takes pressure off the favorites to do anything but attack when it works, hopefully.

Congratulations to Aurélien Paret-Peintre for the stage win and to Andreas Rikardsen Leknessund for taking the leaders jersey.

Riders like McNulty and Healy have really stress tested SOQ today. I wasn't expecting such outcome. That is for SOQ to blew up like that on stage 4. On top of that and considering all the effort invested, Evenepoel eventually had to undress the leg warmers. On the last climb maybe GC guys could try more. Then again maybe the tactics, by Ineos, was not to let Evenepoel to attack. JV rode smart today and likely preserved a bit of freshness for stage 7. Today the bunch was still too big to make a difference.

If Van Wilder is bad in cool & rainy weather, why bring him to the Giro? It's the rainiest of all GTs, plus, the mountain stages are likely to be cold as well.
I think it's too soon to come to a definitive conclusion, but it has happened before. On the other hand, in Mallorca, there was the race where he was the strongest in the race but finished 3rd, it was also cold and raining. I seem to remember the queen stage in the Tour de la Paix he won in '19 was also in very bad weather. Maybe it's just coincidence. Maybe it's the first mountain stage that gets him, which coincidentally had bad weather now, in last year's Vuelta, and back in Romandie '21.

Or it's possible Lodewyck was actually speaking the truth, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jagartrott
How disappointing end of the stage among GC guys, Ineos drones just lead the rest there.
Remco was like: "My 60 kph on flat is too fast in this weather"
Primoz was like: "I will kill him in Crans Montana and Tre Cime, eh"

Roglič is just chilling, waiting for week 3. Some people will hate it but I really do think that final ITT will create the biggest gaps in GC in this race. It's a disgusting climb.

Also, that stage yesterday was nowhere near hard enough for anyone to try anything. An attack on that final climb would have been a waste of a bullet.

There's some more details about the performance of SQS yesterday in today's press:

Apparently after the race, at the bus, Ballerini was completely spent, Van Wilder told his coach he didn't have a great day and Hirt said he was bad. They aren't worried though, Hirt needs to be (and they expect him to be) at his best in the third week and they think it was just an off-day for Van Wilder. Remco was feeling very good and they knew he would be able to counter attacks on the last climb so they just told the riders to take a short pull and come in easy.

They also confirmed it was McNulty they didn't want to let go. Since he already had a big deficit, they didn't want him to come back in the mix.

Remco said they went superfast the first two hours but that he had great legs and didn't feel much of it. He also thought the pace from Ineos was quite easy and he was surprised none of the Ineos riders attacked to at least try to gain some time.

Reactions: search
Roglič is just chilling, waiting for week 3. Some people will hate it but I really do think that final ITT will create the biggest gaps in GC in this race. It's a disgusting climb.

Also, that stage yesterday was nowhere near hard enough for anyone to try anything. An attack on that final climb would have been a waste of a bullet.

I don't know if this monstrous TT will take place at all (due to logistics). Roglic will need great climbing legs anyway. Him reaching Vuelta'21 climbing level is definitely possible and time will tell how Remco can defend himself in the mountains.

I don't know if this monstrous TT will take place at all (due to logistics). Roglic will need great climbing legs anyway. Him reaching Vuelta'21 climbing level is definitely possible and time will tell how Remco can defend himself in the mountains.

I believe that ITT is happening. Now whether there's some politicking going on behind the scenes is another matter (like I can imagine some teams & riders might want the organization to drop it). Because as it stands, it'll be a leg breaker. Especially the rhythm change from the first flat 10km's to suddenly hitting 22% gradients & getting zero recovery.

Kuss said in an interview that Rog told him it's horrible. This tells me it'll be one of the best TV moments of the year.

Reactions: Krzysztof_O
It was plenty hard enough. The finish (4.15 km at 8.84 % with 3 km to go) was similar to Arrate (4.5 km at 8.8 % with 2.4 km to go) and a bit easier than Mende.

MolellaW.gif
vs.
ArrateSW.gif

When Arrate has featured in the Vuelta (2012 & 2020) there was GC actions both times, but of course less than we see in Itzulia.

Passerino in 2021 was a bit harder and in a harder stage, but not too dissimilar:

E1Dg_ICWUAUA6oP

While it could have been expected that Evenepoel and Rogla would watch each other and wait for others to attack, Ineos had a defensive posture which chained Hart, and I guess UAE would be happy for Almeida to not draw sword after chasing back previous in the stage. Which more or less leaves Bahrain with an incentive to try anything, but I think they were too weak and dissuaded by the Ineos train.

TRENDING THREADS