• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia: Who is going to win? First rest day poll.

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2023 Giro d'Italia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Almeida is quite strong on 3rd week and I think he is better climber than Roglic and Thomas - i mean, in those long and steady climbs.
The last ITT suit him quite well too. I think this is one of the best chances he has to become a GT winner.
At this point I think the favourite is Tao.

Vegni says, the Giro wasn't even informed before Evenepoel's exit:

Now some restrictions will return on from this week, a.o. masks.

Yes, here we go again.

View: https://twitter.com/Domestique___/status/1658082180763901952?s=20

FwKlFjPXsAAVDa_

Roglič needs merely to decide when to take the jersey.

Jumbo will want to knock out one of the two Ineos guys so I assume Friday will be the day. He probably won't even have the luxury of choice either, i.e. when the race goes uphill there's no standing around just because they don't want pink yet. Jumbo must be ready to take the jersey & defend it because it'll come sooner now that Evenepoel is out.
Yes, the tactics at least in the next week are interesting since, considering time bonuses, Roglič is arguably already the virtual race leader and Ineos have to actively get rid of him when noone can really judge what randomness happens on that gimmicky final ITT. Jumbo has a twin task of testing out any internal tensions between TGH being in such great form and Thomas with possibly his last chance to win something so big, and keeping things tight enough for Rog to keep clocking up bonus seconds and smallish finish line gaps. Big job from Rohan Dennis in the Rhône valley on Friday I reckon.

Reactions: Carols and Rackham
A shame that Remco had to abandon the race, so I changed my vote to Tao.

Although I think Roglič is the strongest rider, Ineos has the strongest team (even though they lost Ganna) and multiple cards to play, not just Thomas and Tao but I wouldn't sleep on Arensman either, despite the time loss he is usually strong in the third week so can still be used on a long range attack to put pressure on Jumbo. Ironically for the team that has won Grand Tours every single year since 2019, I think the lack of strong mountain domestiques could end up being what costs Roglič the win forcing him to do too much to early.

I also think Almeida is probably going to be the strongest out of the other contenders, he is also usually strong in third week and I think the final TT suits him very well so he could end up on the podium or even better.

Vlasov and Caruso are a bit further back but they still have a shot at the podium, as their shape seems to be on the rise. Caruso is also a good descender so maybe he causes havoc in a few stages.

A shame that Remco had to abandon the race, so I changed my vote to Tao.

Although I think Roglič is the strongest rider, Ineos has the strongest team (even though they lost Ganna) and multiple cards to play, not just Thomas and Tao but I wouldn't sleep on Arensman either, despite the time loss he is usually strong in the third week so can still be used on a long range attack to put pressure on Jumbo. Ironically for the team that has won Grand Tours every single year since 2019, I think the lack of strong mountain domestiques could end up being what costs Roglič the win forcing him to do too much to early.

I also think Almeida is probably going to be the strongest out of the other contenders, he is also usually strong in third week and I think the final TT suits him very well so he could end up on the podium or even better.

Vlasov and Caruso are a bit further back but they still have a shot at the podium, as their shape seems to be on the rise. Caruso is also a good descender so maybe he causes havoc in a few stages.

I think the perception surrounding Jumbo's relative strength as a team is affected by 3 factors: the pre-race Covid cases, the fact the Jumbo TdF team is stronger & also the fact they're much further down in GC than Ineos.

But, they all work for one rider only & they've got an extra man versus Ineos, aka Ineos who lost arguably their most important guy on the flat (best rouleur in any case) Ganna.

And Jumbo have Kuss.

Despite the positive Covid test, Bystrøm chooses to continue to pursue one of the main goals of the season and is ready to chase a stage win.
- "You have to make a judgement based on symptoms. If I had a fever and felt sick, it would have been an issue, but I have had mild symptoms and felt tired. It's also normal on stages six, seven and eight of a three-week race," says the former Norwegian champion.
If everyone has to withdraw with a positive test, there will hardly be any riders left when we get to Rome,"

TRENDING THREADS