• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia: Who is going to win? First rest day poll.

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2023 Giro d'Italia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The protocols that forced that some time ago are no longer in place. If you think they 'forced' the decision by some sort of coersion or persuasion, you only have your supposition.
Let’s bring this back to the real world. Individual companies have protocols—not just governments. My company policy is still — if you feel sick you take a home COVID test. In part because we have that tool (everyone has tons of test kits at home.
If we had an quick home test for the flu, the protocol might be to take the home test for the flu if you have fever and body aches.
I understand folks wondering why they didn’t see if he felt better after the rest day, etc. But there is nothing suspicious about taking COVID test when feeling sick. If a rider is sick and they think it might be a bacterial infection, they will check to see if their white blood cell count is elevated.

Let’s bring this back to the real world. Individual companies have protocols—not just governments. My company policy is still — if you feel sick you take a home COVID test. In part because we have that tool (everyone has tons of test kits at home.
If we had an quick home test for the flu, the protocol might be to take the home test for the flu if you have fever and body aches.
I understand folks wondering why they didn’t see if he felt better after the rest day, etc. But there is nothing suspicious about taking COVID test when feeling sick. If a rider is sick and they think it might be a bacterial infection, they will check to see if their white blood cell count is elevated.
Not sure on what grounds you present this as my response not being in the real world, or this as in any way a response to my updating totp on UCI protocols.

Reactions: Sciatic
Well, in part, it was in response to what several folks have said about “why are they still testing” but happened to respond to you directly because you mentioned “protocols are no longer in place.” That’s true for the UCI and for the Italian government protocols —but my point was organizations usually have their own protocols.

Last edited:
Bystroem has confirmed to be one of those racing with covid. He had symptomps the past couple of stages, but says he is starting to feel better now. "If everyone with a positive test abandoned, there'd be hardly any riders left in Rome."

Once again had a look at the remaining stage profiles now…

I certainly don‘t want to destroy anyone‘s pleasure and joy about what is to come.

But IMHO, there‘s no way about calling weeks two and three „insane“, „terribly hard“, „extremely brutal“, or stuff like these.

Next Friday will be hard, ok, but the rest is usual Giro. Pedersen and Milan are going for Ciclamino overall here. Had they created a really hard Giro, then Pedersen and Milan wouldn‘t talk about Ciclamino, but about staying in the race/beating the time limit, every day.

By the way, I think the final GC winner will be from Ineos, or even UAE…

Let’s bring this back to the real world. Individual companies have protocols—not just governments.

The entire team took the test as a prep for the race test required on the rest day, He didn't take it because he felt sick.
EDIT: Race didn't require
"Soudal-QuickStep said all the team’s riders and staff in Italy were tested for COVID-19 on Sunday as part of a pre-rest day routine. Evenepoel is the only part of the Soudal-QuickStep Giro expedition to have tested positive."

Reactions: Sciatic
The entire team took the test as a prep for the race test required on the rest day, He didn't take it because he felt sick.
EDIT: Race didn't require
"Soudal-QuickStep said all the team’s riders and staff in Italy were tested for COVID-19 on Sunday as part of a pre-rest day routine. Evenepoel is the only part of the Soudal-QuickStep Giro expedition to have tested positive."
Ok, good to know, hadn’t seen that before.

The poll started a few hours before the announcement about Evenepoel: did anyone catch what the firures were at, or very near to, that time? It would be interesting to see the distribution between the others before and since, and what the level of confidence in Evenepoel had been between the ITT and the announcement

The poll started a few hours before the announcement about Evenepoel: did anyone catch what the firures were at, or very near to, that time? It would be interesting to see the distribution between the others before and since, and what the level of confidence in Evenepoel had been between the ITT and the announcement
Yes. Roglic and Tao were already going up (Roglic was the favourite) and Remco was more or less paired with Thomas. That's what I remember. I cannot give you numbers.

TRENDING THREADS