• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2023 Tour de France route rumors

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apparently there will be a Summit finish up the Grand Colombier on stage 13. This will be followed by a stage to Morzine before the Col de la Loze on stage 15.
If people are saying that the final week will be in the Voges, this is going to be a pretty odd looking route, as it would make more sense to swap the Col de la Loze and Morzinr stages around....

If it would be the case, that the Col de la Loze stage comes after the stage to Morzine, this means it would be ridden from the north. This would most likely take the Col de la Madeleine out of the equation. Also, if the alps and the jura is ridden already on stages 13 to 15, what will the third week bring? Do we maybe get to see some maritime alps?

If it would be the case, that the Col de la Loze stage comes after the stage to Morzine, this means it would be ridden from the north. This would most likely take the Col de la Madeleine out of the equation. Also, if the alps and the jura is ridden already on stages 13 to 15, what will the third week bring? Do we maybe get to see some maritime alps?
And also mean that is it more probable they approach Morzine from west and not south. Meaning that it is less likely with Joux-Plane, and especially the sequence before like used in 2006. For me a pacing with Grand Colombier - Loze - Morzine sounds better than Grand Colombier - Morzine - Loze.

And also mean that is it more probable they approach Morzine from west and not south. Meaning that it is less likely with Joux-Plane, and especially the sequence before like used in 2006. For me a pacing with Grand Colombier - Loze - Morzine sounds better than Grand Colombier - Morzine - Loze.
I agree that the placing is not great, but they could still do a stage over the Joux Plaine. I would love to see something like they did in 1981, Salve/ Ramaz/ Joux Plaine/ Joux Verte. From the west that should be a possibility

I agree that the placing is not great, but they could still do a stage over the Joux Plaine. I would love to see something like they did in 1981, Salve/ Ramaz/ Joux Plaine/ Joux Verte. From the west that should be a possibility

that would be a really good stage design. A steep climb at the start of the stage. Which will lead to a strong break (or even some surprises if one of the GC guys has some trouble to warm-up), Ramaz as hard 1st category to tire the legs up and than a hard climb (HC with steep parts)/ "softer" climb (still a solid 1st category) combo to finish it off.

Could do:
13.) Villars-les-Dombes (Parc des Oiseaux) > Grand Colombier (mountain)
14.) Annemasse > Morzine (mountain) (Saleve / Ramaz / Joux Plane / Joux Verte.) (Saleve can be climbed 14km at 6% straight from the start of the stage or do the steeper side to Col de la Croisette from the west)
15.) Albertville > Courchevel (via Cormet de Roselend and Col du Tra as was supposed to be done for Val Thorens in 2019.)

Stage examples I quickly made on ride with gps:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41048401?privacy_code=jEfX9n1x5sWwrfqQ
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41048418?privacy_code=jwESkiyPR8P6eTNo
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41048428?privacy_code=PNNrjZCFL3ogq3ux

If it is true that the race then has a stage to Annecy after the rest day, we can imagine either a hard route with climbs like Forclaz / Glieres or an easier day with climbs like Leschaux. After that we can imagine the race moves back up north through the Jura towards the Doubs and a finale in the Vosges.

Last edited:
Could do:
13.) Villars-les-Dombes (Parc des Oiseaux) > Grand Colombier (mountain)
14.) Annemasse > Morzine (mountain) (Saleve / Ramaz / Joux Plane / Joux Verte.) (Saleve can be climbed 14km at 6% straight from the start of the stage or do the steeper side to Col de la Croisette from the west)
15.) Albertville > Courchevel (via Cormet de Roselend and Col du Tra as was supposed to be done for Val Thorens in 2019.)

Stage examples I quickly made on ride with gps:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41048401?privacy_code=jEfX9n1x5sWwrfqQ
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41048418?privacy_code=jwESkiyPR8P6eTNo
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41048428?privacy_code=PNNrjZCFL3ogq3ux

If it is true that the race then has a stage to Annecy after the rest day, we can imagine either a hard route with climbs like Forclaz / Glieres or an easier day with climbs like Leschaux. After that we can imagine the race moves back up north through the Jura towards the Doubs and a finale in the Vosges.

Sign me up for wanting a tough stage to Annecy. They could make a very fun, will they or won't they GC or breakaway battle on a stage finish in Annecy.

Reactions: Sandisfan
What's everyone's take on a few rumors: An ITT in Besançon for Stage 20 seems to be gathering a lot of steam. I still haven't seen any rumors about if/where the first ITT would be besides what I read here about it possibly being in Villars- Les- Dombes. Any thoughts on a possible Swiss finish? There seems to be mixed rumors on that front.

What's everyone's take on a few rumors: An ITT in Besançon for Stage 20 seems to be gathering a lot of steam. I still haven't seen any rumors about if/where the first ITT would be besides what I read here about it possibly being in Villars- Les- Dombes. Any thoughts on a possible Swiss finish? There seems to be mixed rumors on that front.

I am going to keel over and die if they do another stage 20 time trial

• Wow
New rumours are mentioning 2 pyrenees stages:

Dax - Laruns
Pau - Cauterets

So the first week will be something like this according to Velowire:

1 sa. 1er juillet 2023 Bilbao - Bilbao 185 km
2 di. 2 juillet 2023 Vitoria-Gasteiz - San Sebastian 210 km
3 lu. 3 juillet 2023 Amorebieta-Etxano - Bayonne
4 ma. 4 juillet 2023 Dax - Laruns ?
5 me. 5 juillet 2023 Pau - Cauterets ?
6 je. 6 juillet 2023 Tarbes - ??
7 ve. 7 juillet 2023 Mont-de-Marsan - Bordeaux
8 sa. 8 juillet 2023 Libourne - Limoges
9 di. 9 juillet 2023 Saint-Leonard-de-Noblat - Puy de Dôme

Speculating on the route for both stages:

The Laruns stage can have: 1. Marie-Blanque only
2. Soudet + Marie Blanque (like 2020)
3. Burdincurutcheta + Soudet + Marie Blanque (classic 80's combination)
4. Aubisque (via Solor North)

The third option would be great, but maybe not something we realistically can expect on the 4th stage already. So, I guess option 1 and 2 are most likely. I hope the final is not an exact copy of the 2020 stage, as it is to early to copy a stage from not so long ago already.

The Caterets stage 99% likely would be a combo of Tourmalet + Cauterets (Cambasque??). Another option would be Spandelles ou Soulor before Cauterets. But considering they did Aubisque, Soulor, Spandelles last year, and did't climb the Tourmalet for 1 year, I guess the latter is more likely.

Last edited:
The Caterets stage 99% likely would be a combo of Tourmalet + Cauterets (Cambasque??). Another option would be Spandelles ou Soulor before Cauterets. But considering they did Aubisque, Soulor, Spandelles last year, and did't climb the Tourmalet for 1 year, I guess the latter is more likely.

Yeah, I think Tourmalet has been confirmed a while ago (not by ASO). Can't find the source right now.

At least they'll climb the hard side of Tourmalet (although the profile scores say otherwise)

• Wow
Yeah, I think Tourmalet has been confirmed a while ago (not by ASO). Can't find the source right now.

At least they'll climb the hard side of Tourmalet (although the profile scores say otherwise)
Tourmalet sides don't differ much but the west side but isn't consistently steep until the final 1.5km. That stage does likely have too much easy terrain before Cauterets too early in the race though.

I always account for that.

Loze west is the hardest climb in France, according cyclingcols.com (if you consider Galibier and Telegraphe as two seperate climbs - as the Tour has done for decades). It's not to me.
Wholly agree that distribution within a climb is very important.

It does feel a bit weird that France somehow lacks the quantity of huge climbs that Italy has. I am a bit curious about the ongoing paving of some bike trials over climbs like Loze and that other one I forgot the name of

Wholly agree that distribution within a climb is very important.

It does feel a bit weird that France somehow lacks the quantity of huge climbs that Italy has. I am a bit curious about the ongoing paving of some bike trials over climbs like Loze and that other one I forgot the name of

Tougnete, which is similar to Loze in being part of a scheme to connect Val Thorens / Meribel / Courchevel. According to a profile I found it has like 700m at 15-20% at the end of the Val Thorens side

New rumours are mentioning 2 pyrenees stages:

Dax - Laruns
Pau - Cauterets

So the first week will be something like this according to Velowire:

1 sa. 1er juillet 2023 Bilbao - Bilbao 185 km
2 di. 2 juillet 2023 Vitoria-Gasteiz - San Sebastian 210 km
3 lu. 3 juillet 2023 Amorebieta-Etxano - Bayonne
4 ma. 4 juillet 2023 Dax - Laruns ?
5 me. 5 juillet 2023 Pau - Cauterets ?
6 je. 6 juillet 2023 Tarbes - ??
7 ve. 7 juillet 2023 Mont-de-Marsan - Bordeaux
8 sa. 8 juillet 2023 Libourne - Limoges
9 di. 9 juillet 2023 Saint-Leonard-de-Noblat - Puy de Dôme

Speculating on the route for both stages:

The Laruns stage can have: 1. Marie-Blanque only
2. Soudet + Marie Blanque (like 2020)
3. Burdincurutcheta + Soudet + Marie Blanque (classic 80's combination)
4. Aubisque (via Solor North)

The third option would be great, but maybe not something we realistically can expect on the 4th stage already. So, I guess option 1 and 2 are most likely. I hope the final is not an exact copy of the 2020 stage, as it is to early to copy a stage from not so long ago already.

First of all I think the stage to Lauruns is a classified mountain stage, but it's mostly a breakaway thing. I doubt, that it will be a GC stage. Pau - Cautarets is in my opinion not a good choice for a week one stage, even with the Col de Tourmalet and maybe Col d'Aspin beforehand, because there is a valley before the final climb and the final climb itself is not hard. Cautarets with Tourmalet, Aspin, Peyresourde and Port de Bales would be an epic stage in a third week where riders have to start their desperation mode.

Do we know, where the stage starting from Tarbes will go? If stage 7 starts is Mont-de-Marsan then the tour has to gain ground towards that town and stage 6 will be more of a transition/sprint stage. Otherwise stage 6 could provide us with the only GC relevant pyrenees stage in 2023.

TRENDING THREADS