• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2024 Giro d'Italia route rumours

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pretty sure he also said he loves racing in Italy and due to him prefering the variety of different challenges I think we'll see him in the Giro pretty soon, either 2024 or 2025. It's not that he loves the Tour eternally, I think the talk is more about how UAE plays a big role in pushing him to continue going to the Tour because for them it's obviously the main event.
I think the problem kind of disappears the moment UAE believes Ayuso is ready, which might be as soon as 2024 if he stays healthy.

Honestly don't see Pogacar racing the Giro anytime soon. Vegni has been trying to get him for years. Appearance fees won't move his needle nearly as much as Evenepoel or Lefevere, and i think the main reason he picks his schedule as it is is because he can limit opportunity costs before the Tour. I also don't think stages in Slovenia will do that much for him.

He has also never really flirted with going to the Vuelta after the Tour, so there's that too.

I feel the only thing that makes him more likely to go to the Giro is the fact that he won De Ronde.

Finally, I think he'll like the challenge of the Tour against Vingegaard more than winning a Giro by 10 minutes if none of the other big hitters show up

Sure but if he avenges the defeat to Vinge he may finally try Giro+Vuelta double. I think going for the double is the only thing that would make him consider doing Giro (given that he has none of Giro and Vuelta).

Reactions: Sandisfan
View: https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1664769133404102656

Vegni asking UCI to move Giro forward

basically, moving the Giro 2 weeks forward means the last stage would be on the same Sunday the Dauphiné starts (tomorrow June 4th). no problems for riders. depends on team crews, cars, personnel who usually are travelling a lot in this period (altitude camps, TDF recon, Dauphiné/Suisse preparations, etc)
more than some rides Giro-Tour double, I was thinking about the Giro/Tour teams plans. the altitude groups for TDF are training during Giro. the tv schedules, the buses and cars overlapping Giro last stage with Dauph 1st stage, and Dauph last stage with Suisse 1st stage.

View: https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1664769133404102656

Vegni asking UCI to move Giro forward

basically, moving the Giro 2 weeks forward means the last stage would be on the same Sunday the Dauphiné starts (tomorrow June 4th). no problems for riders. depends on team crews, cars, personnel who usually are travelling a lot in this period (altitude camps, TDF recon, Dauphiné/Suisse preparations, etc)
more than some rides Giro-Tour double, I was thinking about the Giro/Tour teams plans. the altitude groups for TDF are training during Giro. the tv schedules, the buses and cars overlapping Giro last stage with Dauph 1st stage, and Dauph last stage with Suisse 1st stage.
Wouldn‘t moving it back two weeks actually mean that it would still be running next week until the first stage of Suisse (this year 11/6)? The Giro finished only a week ago.

Hopefully a stage involving or near Slovenia. As for GC participation from Slovenia. Rogla or Pogi or both would do. Although i don't feel Pogi will participate, due to the outcome of this season. Rogla as a defending champion still might.
Make the best route possible and don't try to cater to anyone. We need at the minimum just an average Giro this time around because god knows the last 2 editions have been absolutely dreadful. Reminds me of 2016-2017 Tour de France where you were wondering what the *** you were doing with your life and why you liked the sport to begin with.

Make the best route possible and don't try to cater to anyone. We need at the minimum just an average Giro this time around because god knows the last 2 editions have been absolutely dreadful. Reminds me of 2016-2017 Tour de France where you were wondering what the *** you were doing with your life and why you liked the sport to begin with.
Difference between catering to someone by going near Slovenia or just bringing them a tailor made route on a platter. 3rd week is always gonna be up north, and the route problems are nearly always down south.

I think maybe we can hope that Sestriere wants another stage finish, you almost can't do anything wrong there. But besides from that maybe we see another Giro where Finestre or a Dolomites climb will be Cima Coppi. Because after the chaos this year maybe they try to avoid that high stuff.

In my opinion it's the opposite. That is if you find the last two Giro editions dreadful. Stage 20 of Giro 2023 was still epic. That was more or less the only stage that was somehow catered towards attracting Slovenians. If we go further and the organizer manages to attract both Rogla and Pogi. Then in my opinion such Giro should deliver.

All in all a full stage in Slovenia is hence something that in my opinion would make a lot of sense. Each year for next half a decade. Just to make sure. If not now then when. But i know this is more or less wishful thinking. Hence if something like Rogla defending the title at Giro 2024 and some good stage near or entering Slovenia in 2024. That would be splendid too. Even if both Slovenians end up going to the Tour and the Giro organizer includes Slovenia. In my opinion that would still be beneficial for the Giro.

Last edited:

Giro 2024 likely with two day in Abruzzo, including the first rest day. A Mountain Top finish is rumoured for Prati di Tivo. A very well suited climb for the end of week 1.

• Haha
But do we know womething about the Grande Partenza yet? Because if we take Prati di Tivo on maybe stage 9, the Giro would be way more north at that point if they start in southern Italy. The only exception of that would be, if the Giro rides out the whole boot, from tip to heel and then up the coast. If it would be a foreign start it would have been long communicated by now if I remeber past editions correctly.