• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2024 Giro d'Italia route rumours

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
They should be pretty accurate. But in general we know a lot less than usual this year. I've been collecting rumours but can't tell anything with confidence yet.

The presentation is on October 13th.
If they are finishing at Passo Coe like in 2002, I wonder what that stage would look like. Seems like the best option is using a similar route/climbs as this year’s stage to Bondone but I wonder if they’d do that?

Reactions: Sandisfan
As per the article, they would approach Sappada from the east (contrary to the 2018 stage), over Duron, Sella Valcalda and Sappada. The latter two climbs also featured in the famous 1987 stage.

The presentation being in Trento definitely lends further credence to the Coé rumour.
Sappada from the other side also means that they'll ride througgh godforsaken villages like Rigolato. I'm not even joking, the area between Forni Avoltri and Comeglians is pretty much at the end of the world. Anyway, that probably means we'll at least see all the old houses in Plodn/Cima Sappada and a Sappada stage is always a good excuse to have Lisa Vittozzi on our screens.
But yeah, more of a potential ambush stage that the full blown gc stage that we had in 2018 (that one featured many of my training climbs).

Although Zoncolan is epic, Finestre and Mortirolo always deliver great racing because they are super hard but the finish normally is still a bit to go. That creates awesome racing with long range attacks and in todays cycling it also could create tactical chaos whilst the breakaway forms. Even though we know that the final of the Giro might be in the Dolomites, there still is chance that Mortirolo or Finestre are included late in the second week or on stage 16.

Mortirolo the last four times it was used was always on stage 16 which also was each time that Giros queen stage.

Although Zoncolan is epic, Finestre and Mortirolo always deliver great racing because they are super hard but the finish normally is still a bit to go. That creates awesome racing with long range attacks and in todays cycling it also could create tactical chaos whilst the breakaway forms. Even though we know that the final of the Giro might be in the Dolomites, there still is chance that Mortirolo or Finestre are included late in the second week or on stage 16.

Mortirolo the last four times it was used was always on stage 16 which also was each time that Giros queen stage.
The fools just need to descend Zoncolan and it's gonna be epic enough. Oh well, I feel like with rider protests and all of that, this is only moving further away.

Very tough stage in Veneto - does that mean Zoncolan?

So now we have Folgaria/Passo Coe, Sappada, perhaps Monte Grappa and a very tough stage in Veneto? That would probably be most of the GC stages the last week.

A Grande Partenza in Torino. Does this mean no big mountain stages in the western Alps unless they return to Piemonte/Aosta in the third week?

MTF at Prati di Tivo is okay, but they certainly need much more in the Apennines if they aren't using the western Alps.

Last edited: