• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2024 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Venaria Reale - Torino, 140 km (Saturday, May 4)

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Over/under how many hours until we get a full result?
OK, the full rankings are up. But the website is a cancer. You have to keep clicking because it doesn't show the full rankings, just five new names.

Reactions: CPT. Z
Crashes today too brother, makes no difference, riders are crashing all the time, it's' part of GC outcomes.
I personally found this a lot more entertaining than one of those stages where the péloton sits at +1'30" for four hours and then the last 5km are good except for a big pile-up at 800m to go that takes out half the field.

But YMMV.

Rob Hatch goes "there is celebration here, because Narváez and Geraint Thomas have done it!"

What, pray tell, has Geraint Thomas done? It's not like he led Narváez out or buried himself for him to set up the attack, because he had to preserve his own GC aims and Narváez isn't the one that made the attack, he followed Pogačar's attack.

Take off the goggles, Rob. You're normally better than that.
I took that to mean they've done it as in G is with the rest of GC and JN won the stage and so Thomas's team are in control with Pink. That's essentially what UAE tried to achieve today.

He already has one:

Thanks, I should have looked further than just the team/rider thread directory ;)

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
I personally found this a lot more entertaining than one of those stages where the péloton sits at +1'30" for four hours and then the last 5km are good except for a big pile-up at 800m to go that takes out half the field.

But YMMV.
Indeed, this was an excellent first stage and we should have more of these. The Giro recently had been really lacking the tricky, punchy first and second week stages, so good to see them make a comeback.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
I took that to mean they've done it as in G is with the rest of GC and JN won the stage and so Thomas's team are in control with Pink. That's essentially what UAE tried to achieve today.
If that's what he meant, the way he phrased it was hilariously bad as it seemed like he was crediting Thomas with the stage win. I get crediting a domestique or a lead-out if they've played an integral role, or if they'd been doing the 1-2 attacks and it just so happened that Narváez was the one who was away when it stuck, but it wasn't at all, Thomas did nothing either especially good or bad, he couldn't go with Pogačar and he rode as he should to not lose too much time. If Schachmann had won that sprint, would Hatch have been screaming "Max Schachmann AND DANI MARTÍNEZ have done it!" I doubt it.

If that's what he meant, the way he phrased it was hilariously bad as it seemed like he was crediting Thomas with the stage win. I get crediting a domestique or a lead-out if they've played an integral role, or if they'd been doing the 1-2 attacks and it just so happened that Narváez was the one who was away when it stuck, but it wasn't at all, Thomas did nothing either especially good or bad, he couldn't go with Pogačar and he rode as he should to not lose too much time. If Schachmann had won that sprint, would Hatch have been screaming "Max Schachmann AND DANI MARTÍNEZ have done it!" I doubt it.
It's live commentary, not a legal statement lol!