• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2024 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Venaria Reale - Torino, 140 km (Saturday, May 4)

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Call me old fashioned, I like my 3 week GC battle to not start with minutes of gaps between GC riders on day 1.
There aren't "minutes of gaps between GC riders" though. 42 riders are inside a minute. Of those who are outside a minute, who there is realistically a "GC rider" at this point in time? Apart from Arensman who, out of those who lost over a minute, would we be considering GC threats? 2024-level Rafał Majka? Jefferson Cepeda? Pelayo Sánchez Mayo?

Reactions: Squire
Maybe if they hadn't just won lol! Sure, but you are not a general fan of all teams and riders like most fans, you are a fan of specific teams / riders, so his neutrality to celebrate everyone winning is seen as favouritism.
Do you believe he would have yelled "Max Schachmann AND DANI MARTÍNEZ have done it!" if Schachmann had won the sprint?

I don't think "most fans" are "a general fan of all teams and riders" by a long stretch, and I certainly don't think that label applies to you. I just think you think British Eurosport coverage is neutral in the same way as Boston Bruins fans think Jack Edwards isn't biased.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Do you believe he would have yelled "Max Schachmann AND DANI MARTÍNEZ have done it!" if Schachmann had won the sprint?

I don't think "most fans" are "a general fan of all teams and riders" by a long stretch, and I certainly don't think that label applies to you. I just think you think British Eurosport coverage is neutral in the same way as Boston Bruins fans think Jack Edwards isn't biased.
Against UAE & Pogacar when they are not GC favourites like Ineos, i'm sure he would, why wouldn't he? He seems purely a fan of bike racing, not specific teams or riders to me?

Against UAE & Pogacar when they are not GC favourites like Ineos, i'm sure he would, why wouldn't he? He seems purely a fan of bike racing, not specific teams or riders to me?
You don't think Dani Martínez is a GC rider? He's been top 5 of the Giro before. I'm sure you'll have noticed that, he did it in an Ineos jersey.

Again, I think you think the British coverage is neutral like New England hockey fans think NESN is neutral.

I'm not going to say that coverage on the continent is any less biased, just that Thomas getting over-praised as though he was equally important to Narváez himself in Narváez' victory is nonsense and the fact that it's a rider who the expected audience is assumed will largely like and cheer for is why he was brought up completely unnecessarily and irrelevantly there.

While I have zero respect for Thomas the GC rider, I think the guy himself is a pretty personable, approachable guy and he would probably cringe at that kind of characterisation himself. He's not a Lizzie Deignan who would absolutely jump at the chance to give herself all the credit for it.

Wow, makes no sense unless his form is really not where it is supposed to. This year it would make a lot more sense to have him a protected rider since the podium is wide open after Pogacar.
It indeed makes little sense. Arensman's dad was posting all kind of *** on Wielerflits, when Thymen was part of DSM. Most of which reflected poorly on DSM, some of which reflected poorly on Thymen, but all of which reflected quite poorly on Arensman Sr. If I was a pro I wouldn't like to have my dad posting all around the interwebs like a drunk Lefevere with no filter.

Today was a nice stage and glad Pog didn't win ...nice to see him challenged and beaten sometimes

He wont be so bushy tailed tomorrow and who knows many a GT rider is revealed in a GT tour who we hadn't a clue could do it

Also GT can be won not in the mountains

At the very least he has a few teams to content with , esp since his own team is not the strongest or the brightest

As we say at home ...there is many a slip between cup and lip and maybe we will have a race after all for this Giro

It indeed makes little sense. Arensman's dad was posting all kind of *** on Wielerflits, when Thymen was part of DSM. Most of which reflected poorly on DSM, some of which reflected poorly on Thymen, but all of which reflected quite poorly on Arensman Sr. If I was a pro I wouldn't like to have my dad posting all around the interwebs like a drunk Lefevere with no filter.

Yeah you weren't wrong :laughing: