• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2024 La Flèche Wallonne Femmes (not in LA), April 17

Who will win FW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Y4NzdrZXTtMZ4Vbz2DQ2Pn.jpg

With Amstel Gold Race done and dusted, it's now time for the women's peloton to duke it out on Mur de Huy.
The climb which was first dominated by Fabiana Luperini, then Nicole Cooke and later by Marianne Vos, before Anna van der Breggen with 7 straight victories became the reigning Queen of the Mur. Her protégé Demi Vollering was victorious in 2023.

This year, the riders will only climb the Mur twice, instead of three times like in recent editions, but with a record length of 146 km, we might still have an exciting race in store (or at the very least some kind of group sprint at the end).

However the best thing about this year's race is that it will finish after the men's.

Start list: https://firstcycling.com/race.php?r=9051&y=2024&k=8

4c015

f723d

Last edited:
I would add Fisher-Black to the list. Small chance but propably more realistic than Cavalli, who is coming back from injury and Kopecky, who maybe will struggle with the steep finish climb.

I would add Fisher-Black to the list. Small chance but propably more realistic than Cavalli, who is coming back from injury and Kopecky, who maybe will struggle with the steep finish climb.

I can think of quite a few riders who have at least the same chance of winning as NFB and some who definitely have better chances.

I don't really expect Cavalli to be up there tomorrow, but as the only other rider than Vollering on the start list to have won the race before, I've granted her a spot.

And due to my developing fake feud with LS, I probably have to include Kopecky in every poll from now on 😉

I think this can be an Van Empel welcoming top 5 on her road campaign. Looked really good untill now. Don’t know if she’s closer to her CX form but this could be a good one today.
Have you ever seen an explanation of why her CX dominance doesn't translate into results on the road? Maybe it is just my expectations, but I expected to see her in the top 5 regularly.

Have you ever seen an explanation of why her CX dominance doesn't translate into results on the road? Maybe it is just my expectations, but I expected to see her in the top 5 regularly.

We've not seen it translated to MTB either, although that might partially be due to her having had bad form and starting positions in the elite races she did last year.

She hasn't been in cycling for that long either, so getting used to road cycling might take a bit of time, especially when she hasn't done that many races yet. I'm sure she will be up there regularly soon.

Reactions: Winnen
Positioning and not in good form to have something left for the final. On this ascent I expect her to be really strong in the future, but she needs a team to get her in front. And better legs.
For MTB it’s more skill wise, hasn’t rode a bike for long. Was a footballer before also.

Reactions: Winnen
She's actually done quite well considering how new she is to road and that she rides a ton of CX races unlike Shirin and Puck who rode very short CX programs. Fem even raced more CX races after winning Worlds. She did pick up a win last year, had several top 10s, and was 11th in the Giro.