• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2nd Paris-Roubaix Femmes, April 16th, 2022

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well ASO have had the cash cow with the TDF so I guess they haven’t cared. Good to see the women are finally getting the attention they deserve but damn it’s been a long wait.
Sure, I'm being a lot more positive toward ASO than I have been for years with that interpretation, I'm sure there would have been the money to do it sooner if they wanted to but I think they simply weren't keen and used the money argument against women's racing, and now that the Dakar (which costs a LOT to run) is financially stable, they couldn't kick the can down the road any longer, plus the Giro being weakened gave them the ideal opportunity to strike while the iron was hot.

The fact they claimed themselves incapable of operating the 'on' switch on a camera at La Flèche Wallonne for a decade, on the other hand, really tells you what their level of commitment was.

Brand shows she can ride for more than CX hour
She has finished 4th in the Giro overall!

Her biggest problem on the road is that she is a diesel and doesn't have the same level of explosivity for the punchy climbs which proliferate on the women's calendar. Which is actually pretty surprising for a CXer.

Awesome performance by Sandra Alonso, almost enough to forgive her for dropping Norsgaard down to 11th and costing me half a point. That group made Emma do the full leadout which was absolutely the right thing to do tactically, but I coulda had Brand. Hell, if I hadn't thought she'd been pulled from the startlist I coulda had Longo Borghini, but coulda woulda shoulda.

Clipboard.jpg

Last edited:
No one is entitled to others' investments. It was also such a bore to hear the whine about prize money, as if the income of riders mainly relied on that.
Sure, but the refusal to turn the cameras on at the races that they already did pay for is a whole other level. I genuinely think that the financial security of the Dakar has been one of the most important factors in ASO's greater willingness to invest in cycling beyond their pre-existing portfolio.

She has finished 4th in the Giro overall!

Her biggest problem on the road is that she is a diesel and doesn't have the same level of explosivity for the punchy climbs which proliferate on the women's calendar. Which is actually pretty surprising for a CXer.

Well she doesn't come originally from CX, like a lot of the others. She's a road rider, who gave CX a go - and wasn't very good at first.

Reactions: postmanhat
Don't disagree, but CVDBB (can't be bothered to write her whole name out) also looked very strong. ELB was certainly very strong, but also great tactically -- with that many strong riders in the peloton behind her, there was bound to be not much cooperation...
Especially as Trek could marshal every move with Brand and van Dijk. Although to be fair, Elisa's tactics were more about the timing than anything else. I didn't see Rooijakkers or Uttrup on the startlist, so the chances of her finding a group she could win the sprint from were minimal.

But at the same time, while I may harp on Elisa's lack of anything even remotely a sprint weapon, that's a large part of why she's so great - she has to animate races to get victories, and this is a task which she takes on with gusto. Pretty much every race win she's ever had - including two Trofeo Bindas, Plouay, the Ronde and now Roubaix - have seen her come to the line alone, and only a handful of really steep uphill finishes - two Giri dell'Emilia and an Emakumeen Bira stage - have seen her beating people in the run for the line. The anomaly is 2017's Strade Bianche, when she was the strongest on the final ramp in Siena in horrible rainy conditions, which opened up a gap on the likes of Armitstead/Deignan and van Vleuten, so the timegaps are like that of an uphill sprint but was essentially Elisa leading around the final kilometre and the only rider close enough to contest the sprint was Kasia Niewiadoma, who is also not exactly renowned for a sprint weapon either.