• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

3 weeks to get fit...

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Here's my story. I trained all spring for a marathon mountain bike race. Then summer came around, and school mandated all life decisions. In other words, I haven't even touched any of my bikes since June. I've just finished my semester and I'd like to compete in the last crit and road race of the year - both about three weeks away.

My question - do you have any suggestions for getting fit quickly? The crit will be 45 minutes, and the road race about 40 miles. Thank you for any tips. Specific workouts would be very helpful.

A side note - someone should write a training book for normal people like me who have crazy schedules!

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Well depending on your genetics you ain't going to see much improvement in 3 weeks. The time for your body to make major adaptations to training loads just isn't there. That being said if you want to complete then you should do something.

There are a few studies that show that your VO2max is highly trainable in a short period of time which is handy because this will be usually be taxed well in a crit.

Depending on available time I would map out the next few weeks like this:-

Day 1 2hrs easy ride.
2 2 hrs ride, 6 x 30 sec on/off, 20mins recovery, 6 x 30 sec on/off
3 2 x 20mins TT pace (20mins recovery)
4 Rest
5 2 x 20mins TT pace (20mins recovery)
6 1.5hrs easy ride
7 2 hrs ride, 6 x 30 sec on/off, 20mins recovery, 6 x 30 sec on/off
8 2 x 20mins TT pace (20mins recovery)
9 2 hr easy ride
10 Rest
11 2 hrs ride, 6 x 30 sec on/off, 20mins recovery, 6 x 30 sec on/off
12 2 x 20mins TT pace (20mins recovery)
13 2 hr easy ride
14 2 hrs ride, 4 x 30 sec on/off, 20mins recovery, 4 x 30 sec on/off
15 Rest
16 2 x 15min 105% TT pace (20mins recovery)
17 2 hrs ride, 4 x 30 sec on/off, 20mins recovery, 4 x 30 sec on/off
18 1.5 hrs easy ride
19 1 hr easy ride
20 1 hr easy ride, 2 x 30 sec efforts (5 mins recovery)
21 Race Day

The risk with something like this is that given your previous rest time overtraining is a real risk, the 30sec efforts can really torch you. So if you were to train like this you really have to listen to what your body is telling you. If you are getting to rep 3 and feel like you just can't go on... don't.

My 2 cents worth.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
You need to squeez in some ride time into that shedual somehow get out early or late even if its only 20 mins at lunch time.

In Australia we race all year so Guys who work 10 hours a day seem to manage somehow. they ride to work and home somedays go a long way around.

You dont train you dont race its simple you need 8 weeks at least .

It depends more on your base than your genetics.

3 weeks is enough to bring up a decent amount of fitness but rememeber if you push too hard, too soon, you risk overtraining.

Just do the races as training and dont expect much results. Train smarter next time vs trainng harder and overloading yourself with so much stuff that you dont end up training at all..

Focus on high carb, low fat, foods with plenty of water and lots of early nights.

billy10388

BANNED
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
nebbiolo said:
Here's my story. I trained all spring for a marathon mountain bike race. Then summer came around, and school mandated all life decisions. In other words, I haven't even touched any of my bikes since June. I've just finished my semester and I'd like to compete in the last crit and road race of the year - both about three weeks away.

My question - do you have any suggestions for getting fit quickly? The crit will be 45 minutes, and the road race about 40 miles. Thank you for any tips. Specific workouts would be very helpful.

A side note - someone should write a training book for normal people like me who have crazy schedules!

Thanks you for the post.

Do some really hard stuff!

Seriously
1. long hill climbs or max repeats on short ones (6X6mins)
2. 12 x 1m 30s @ max on a turbo
3. 3 x 10 mins at max on the road
4. 1 x 20 mins at max on the road

Don't bother with any mid level stuff. Either go flat out or just very gentle recovery rides.

You'll get some reasonable gains - you'll definately be in better shape to race than if you do a load of mid level longer rides.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
Don't bother with any mid level stuff. Either go flat out or just very gentle recovery rides.

my training program as stated above. I unfortunately cannot adhere to any kind of structure in my training. all year long, hopefully

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
nebbiolo said:

Get one of these "Wolfram Lindner" books, if you can get them in English.
They are like a holy bible for many cyclists.
You will need nothing more than the book, your bike and yourself.

TRENDING THREADS