• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have my pride.

On a serious note, although I don't know if that is allowed in this thread, it's all semantics to me and I don't care that much. When do I ever use "the Balkans"? I would use the specific country or city (and hope I get it's position right). It's the kind of thing my father would correct me about, though, so maybe it's just some rebellion from my side... :D
Where do you put Slovenia then?

Now I only know I'm for sure not living in Scandinavia and I still have no clue about Hungarian language - wait, wait I know one word - it was at the end of Gustav cartoons - Vege (the end).
I know in the bedroom I'm south and in the living room I'm west. Because of the sun.
Balkan - I love Azra - ex yu band.
Balkan can be hard to understand, but it is easy to love.
You all put more time to position Slovenia than you would need to drive through.
For me: it is small, it can be everywhere (ok, not Scandinavia), it is not perfect, but it is ok - it's my home.
Oh, beer is good!

Found this yesterday:
"
Slavoj Žižek is close to the truth- Balkan-that’s the Others.
“This very alibi confronts us with the first of many paradoxes concerning Balkan: its geographic delimitation was never precise. It is as if one can never receive a definitive answer to the question, "Where does it begin?"
For Serbs, it begins down there in Kosovo or Bosnia, and they defend the Christian civilization against this Europe's Other.
For Croats, it begins with the Orthodox, despotic, Byzantine Serbia, against which Croatia defends the values of democratic Western civilization.
For Slovenes, it begins with Croatia, and we Slovenes are the last outpost of the peaceful Mitteleuropa.
For Italians and Austrians, it begins with Slovenia, where the reign of the Slavic hordes starts.
For Germans, Austria itself, on account of its historic connections, is already tainted by the Balkanic corruption and inefficiency.
For some arrogant Frenchmen, Germany is associated with the Balkanian Eastern savagery—up to the extreme case of some conservative anti-European-Union Englishmen for whom, in an implicit way, it is ultimately the whole of continental Europe itself that functions as a kind of Balkan Turkish global empire with Brussels as the new Constantinople, the capricious despotic center threatening English freedom and sovereignty.
So Balkan is always the Other: it lies somewhere else, always a little bit more to the southeast, with the paradox that, when we reach the very bottom of the Balkan peninsula, we again magically escape Balkan.
Greece is no longer Balkan proper, but the cradle of our Western civilization.”

Reactions: BlueRoads
Found this yesterday:
"
Slavoj Žižek is close to the truth- Balkan-that’s the Others.
“This very alibi confronts us with the first of many paradoxes concerning Balkan: its geographic delimitation was never precise. It is as if one can never receive a definitive answer to the question, "Where does it begin?"
For Serbs, it begins down there in Kosovo or Bosnia, and they defend the Christian civilization against this Europe's Other.
For Croats, it begins with the Orthodox, despotic, Byzantine Serbia, against which Croatia defends the values of democratic Western civilization.
For Slovenes, it begins with Croatia, and we Slovenes are the last outpost of the peaceful Mitteleuropa.
For Italians and Austrians, it begins with Slovenia, where the reign of the Slavic hordes starts.
For Germans, Austria itself, on account of its historic connections, is already tainted by the Balkanic corruption and inefficiency.
For some arrogant Frenchmen, Germany is associated with the Balkanian Eastern savagery—up to the extreme case of some conservative anti-European-Union Englishmen for whom, in an implicit way, it is ultimately the whole of continental Europe itself that functions as a kind of Balkan Turkish global empire with Brussels as the new Constantinople, the capricious despotic center threatening English freedom and sovereignty.
So Balkan is always the Other: it lies somewhere else, always a little bit more to the southeast, with the paradox that, when we reach the very bottom of the Balkan peninsula, we again magically escape Balkan.
Greece is no longer Balkan proper, but the cradle of our Western civilization.”
I'm pretty sure it's Croatia where Balkan becomes Other.
No one else before tries to deny.

Why is it so important?
I know who I am, I know I love Azra!
I know my country ( in ex-yu and after 91'), yes, I'm old. :)

Where or how others see my country - all fine, (east, south, communist or not).

Last edited: