• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

38th Vuelta a San Juan Internacional (2.1) // 26th of January - 2nd of February 2020

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A 52kg climber like him finishing inside the top 10 is a big surprise for me.
Do we have intermediate times? Did he make up a lot of time in the climb, or was his flat section respectable as well?

I don't think that crashes are part of the fun but have always been and will always be part of the racing and neutralizing everything is only another travesty to reduce the more possible the gaps and that kills the show because no one needs to attack from far anymore, they probably think that a packed GC increases the show but it's the opposite.

Personally i'm fully behind the old saying "la corsa l'è corsa, pietà l'è morta" and i think neutralizations (but also "waiting for fair play") shouldn't exist in a race, if riders lost time and have to bring it back will only help to produce good racing.

Cycling first and foremost is a sport. Only in a distant second spot should it be seen as entertainment. The goal of a sport is to see who is the best. Not to see who is the most lucky. So i completely disagree with about everything in your post.

I was watching but can't remember what were the intermediate times for Fabbro. Anyway, seeing him grinding that last hill reminded me of his Valle D'Aosta prologue victory, which was also bit of a surprise. It was obviously very different as it was uphill from start to finish, but he did beat some notable riders back then ; Sivakov, Vlasov, Hamilton etc..

I had him two years in a row at CQ-game and I was expecting some 300-400p season at best, but at the end it wasn't even close. Well, maybe this is the season!

It will be interesting to see how Evanapoel goes in the climbing stage with limited support - QS had trouble handling the multiple attacks in the 2019 edition - In saying that the GC field appears weaker in 2020.
The field is weaker, but he's a lot stronger than last year. Remember that he was soundly beaten by Alaphilippe during the time trial. I expect him to counter attacks on the climb and possibly dropping his competitors by steadily increasing the pace.

The field is weaker, but he's a lot stronger than last year. Remember that he was soundly beaten by Alaphilippe during the time trial. I expect him to counter attacks on the climb and possibly dropping his competitors by steadily increasing the pace.
It was his first ITT as a pro, he had the fastest intermediate time. He simply didn't manage it well. He also said that afterwards, he should have won, but he started too eager and got tired too soon. It was a lesson learned. Also, the GC field is weaker (though G Martin may prove to be at least as good as Quintana was), but the ITT field certainly wasn't. With Ganna, Bodnar & McNulty. Only Alaphilippe was missing.

Also, last year there was only one guy who could do some work for Alaphilippe on Alto Colorado, and that was Remco. Remco now has Serry and Stybar for the first part. Maybe not an improvement, but i think Remco is stronger than Alaphilippe was last year, who didn't give me the best impression on that climb. It will be a good test for Remco. He said he sees Alto Colorado as a long ITT. If he rides it like that, maybe it will be the competition who might long for better support.

I was watching but can't remember what were the intermediate times for Fabbro. Anyway, seeing him grinding that last hill reminded me of his Valle D'Aosta prologue victory, which was also bit of a surprise. It was obviously very different as it was uphill from start to finish, but he did beat some notable riders back then ; Sivakov, Vlasov, Hamilton etc..

I had him two years in a row at CQ-game and I was expecting some 300-400p season at best, but at the end it wasn't even close. Well, maybe this is the season!
His engine seems to be decent, he finished 8th in the NC RR on a route that wasn't for the pure climbers. He also raced for Team Friuli as an U23 rider and they are known for taking it rather easy with their riders and not already pushing them to the limit in the U23 ranks, so he should still have lots of room to improve.