• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

47th Tour de l'Avenir September 5-12 (A.S.O.)

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ryo ........

Power calculations Quintana explodes on the Tour de l'Avenir

The overwhelming superiority of Nairo Alexander Quintana in the Tour de l'Avenir has been confirmed by the calculations of Julien Pinot, who released them this Wednesday evening.

The Colombian has swallowed the mountain with 5.87 W/kg, rising the Risoul (12.6 km at 7%) on Sunday, finishing 47 sec ahead of Andrew Talansky.

"Quintana (20) should quickly show his qualities as a professional climber, especially since this his just his in his second year of the Espiors," concludes Pinot, a doctoral student in the Fac Staps Besancon.

According to the same estimates (calculated on a standard weight of 70kg with equipment 8kg), eight competitors of the Tour de l'Avenir has surpassed the 5.4 W/kg.

Talansky had only reached this level of performance in the very mountainous Tour des Pays de Savoie, in June, in the ascent to San Carlo

Nairo-y-Jorge-Ovidio-Gonzal.jpg

Petito Rojas congratulated by the president of the Colombian cyclingfed. last night Jorge Ovidio González.

More about that + Pics: http://www.ciclismodecolombia.com/spip.php?article3246

DAOTEC said:

The Colombian has swallowed the mountain with 5.87 W/kg, rising the Risoul (12.6 km at 7%) on Sunday, finishing 47 sec ahead of Andrew Talansky.

"Quintana (20) should quickly show his qualities as a professional climber, especially since this his just his in his second year of the Espiors," concludes Pinot, a doctoral student in the Fac Staps Besancon.

According to the same estimates (calculated on a standard weight of 70kg with equipment 8kg), eight competitors of the Tour de l'Avenir has surpassed the 5.4 W/kg.
It looks really good. It is too bad you need a 6.3-6.4 Watt/kg in the third week of the Tour to win.;)

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
OK you ask for the discusion (Escarabajo) so let's bring it on ...

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 |(21:42) Tour de l'Avenir: power calculs
tableau.jpg

Julien Pinot Etupes coach at CC and doctoral student at the University of Besancon, calculated for http://www.directvelo.com - the Power of favorites used th the race against the watch at Risoul, the Tour de l'Avenir. Unsurprisingly, Nairo Alexander Quintana stuns his rivals with an average power of 5.87 W / kg in the 12.6km climb to 7%.

The commentary Julien Pinot:
"The former have achieved very high powers and are separated by large gaps. The Colombian Quintana is well above the lot and would soon show his qualities in the professional climber, especially since it is only in its second years hope. The French climbers (Bardet, Bonnin), relegated to over 2'30'', appear at what they had done already made the dry season on a climb: the San Carlo during the Tour of Country Savoy. Talansky, the second stage, for its part, well above its performance time (5.40W/kg). It seems to be in top form at the end of the season carries since performance much higher than the Ronde de l'Isard and the Tour of Pays de Savoie.
The overall level of the Tour de l'Avenir was particularly high when compared with the half-step with the rise of the San Carlo on similar timetables, only reached the Talansky 5.4 W / kg while on the rise Risoul, there are eight runners to exceed this level of performance. However, we must take into account the fact that this rise has been performed against the clock, so no race strategy assumed a more regular rhythm and of the possibilities of each. But this step came at the end of eight days of racing. "

Recall the method of estimation:
The first 800 meters against the clock being in town, we suppose 1'05 stable for all (about 5 seconds). The powers are calculated on a standard weight of 70kg with 8 kg of equipment.
And you, what power would you open?
If you want real power get your gross, to say the power that you have obtained with a power sensor:
1 / Multiply by 70 the power in W / kg
2 / Divide the wattage (W) you find 70 to the power 0.79
3 / Multiply this figure by your weight to the power strip 0.79 (assuming that the weight of your gear and bike clothing is 8kg, if not add to your weight).

Example: Jonathan Fumeaux (weight: 62kg): 4.94 W / kg.
1 / 4.94 * 70 = 345.8
2 / 345.8 / (700.79) = 12.06 W / kg 0.79
3 / 12.06 * (620.79) = 314 W to 37'31 by this indirect method of calculating

Source: http://www.directvelo.com/direct-velo/actualites/10076/tour-de-l-avenir-calculs-de-puissance-.html

DAOTEC said:
Wednesday, September 15, 2010 |(21:42) Tour de l'Avenir: power calculs
tableau.jpg

If you want real power get your gross, to say the power that you have obtained with a power sensor:
1 / Multiply by 70 the power in W / kg
2 / Divide the wattage (W) you find 70 to the power 0.79
3 / Multiply this figure by your weight to the power strip 0.79 (assuming that the weight of your gear and bike clothing is 8kg, if not add to your weight).

This is what kills me about the information. This is normalized data. The actual translated results are as follows:

1- Quintana: 354 Watts, 6.1 Watts/Kg
3- Pantano: 352 Watts, 5.8 Watts/Kg

So Quintana's numbers are actually very impressive.:)

I could not do the calculation for Talansky because I don’t have his weight.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
This is what kills me about the information. This is normalized data. The actual translated results are as follows:

1- Quintana: 354 Watts, 6.1 Watts/Kg
3- Pantano: 352 Watts, 5.8 Watts/Kg

So Quintana's numbers are actually very impressive.:)

I could not do the calculation for Talansky because I don’t have his weight.

the timetable is pure from climb, not from first 1.5 km downhil

let me explain to you what sick wattages quintanas actually had!

I was wrong. quitnana is not 58 kg but 54 kg, and after more than a week probably 53 kg at most. but let's still go by 54 kg...

the first 6 km with 1.5 downhil which is not in this timetable, he was 18 seconds ahead of pantano, 20 to talansky and 25 of slagter, that was easiest part of climb as well

2nd 7.1 km, the hardest part of the climb until the finish we know the result, only talansky didn't totally blow to him

still 354 watts /54 kg is a sickening 6.6 watt per kg weight and that doesn't even count the first 1.5 km downhil, only climb and as I made clear the hardest part of the climb quintana killed everyone as can be seen by intermediates meaning quintana after a week of racing must've gotten close to 7 watt per kg weight duuring the climb which is absolutely insane!!

let's not forget this is after 8 days of hard racing with many mountains and quintana had already attacked and won the day before. I can not overstate enough how incredible this is and mindboggling

TRENDING THREADS