• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

48th Trofeo Alfredo Binda, WWT, March 17th, 2024

5c8QnUnDL8hbwzs3PAeZs5-1200-80.jpg

It's almost that time of the year again where a new winner of the longest running race on the women's World Tour will be crowned, and some knitted frogs will get a new home. Last year's edition saw Shirin van Anrooij take her first of possibly many WWT wins, while 2022 champion Elisa Balsamo made it a Trek 1-2 by beating Vittoria Guazzini in the sprint behind.

The Trek duo is back to defend the title with a strong team to help it succeed, but with SD Worx bringing Lotte Kopecky, the race might not be as unpredictable as it usually is. However it's fortunately not decided on paper, so there's hopefully still some great action to come. We sadly won't get to see another fierce duel between the current world champion and the legend that is Marianne Vos since Visma has decided to skip the race. It's also known that Kasia Niewiadoma won't be making any of her trademark unfruitful attacks, because she isn't riding either.

In addition to the pro race, the Piccolo Trofeo Binda marks the start of the 2024 junior Nations Cup. Assumed future star Cat Ferguson is looking to repeat her victory from last year. I haven't seen a full start list, but I think Imogen Wolf, Carys Lloyd, Fee Knaven, Léane Tabu and Eleonora La Bella are among the starters. Célia Gery isn't going to be there, as far as I've seen.

Full start list: https://firstcycling.com/race.php?r=9046&y=2024&k=8

Planimetria-e-Altimetria-Elite.jpg

9046_2024.jpg

Salite.jpg

Fisher-Black and Pieterse together but a very minimal gap that looks like it's coming together before the last lap.

My concern is that this race was once something of a Lombardia type in terms of rider profile during the 'racing through the dark' era, but it isn't hard enough to maintain that role now that the depth of the péloton is better and the sport is developing and is becoming 'just' another hilly one-dayer.

Fisher-Black and Pieterse together but a very minimal gap that looks like it's coming together before the last lap.

My concern is that this race was once something of a Lombardia type in terms of rider profile during the 'racing through the dark' era, but it isn't hard enough to maintain that role now that the depth of the péloton is better and the sport is developing and is becoming 'just' another hilly one-dayer.

Present day, the race is closer being a women's MSR, apart from the length of course, in the sense that different type of riders have a chance to win depending on how the race develops.

I mean it is kinda funny to see the likes of Mavi García and Nika Nosková trying to sprint in the background against the likes of Balsamo and Kopecky admittedly, but with Balsamo winning 2 of the last 3, yes I know the home audience will be happy enough but to maintain its role within world cycling the race might need something like Cuvignone or San Michele before the local circuits to try to thin things out more.