• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

6 Olympic athletes positive for CERA

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Please is it too much to hope for that none are cyclists for a change. Let some other sports clean house.

IOC reports 6 Olympic athletes positive for CERA

By STEPHEN WILSON, AP Sports Writer Stephen Wilson, Ap Sports Writer – 20 mins ago

LONDON – The IOC's pursuit of drug cheats from the Beijing Olympics paid off Tuesday with confirmation that six athletes turned up positive for a new blood-boosting substance in retests of samples from last year's games.

The International Olympic Committee said a total of seven positive tests involving six athletes came back positive for CERA, an advanced version of the endurance-enhancing hormone EPO.

The IOC did not name the athletes or sports involved, saying it was notifying the athletes through their national Olympic committees. The Italian Olympic Committee said one of the positive samples belonged to one of its male athletes.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Is this 6 athletes from any sport in the olympics ? So maybe it is not cyclists, although from posts here looks like one was :S If it is Rebellin what happens about his results after the olympics? Do they get written off because he should have been banned or what. Anyway I hope they are not cyclists and some other sportsmen

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
ROME (AP) — An Italian news agency says Olympic cycling silver medalist Davide Rebellin is one of six athletes who turned up positive for doping in the retesting of samples from the Beijing Games.

Eventhough the positives could come from any sport the fact is that CERA wouldn't be a helpful drug to use in 90% of olympic sports. There aren't that many endurance sports in the olympics compared to more strength or speed based sports.

Other than road racing there is also MTB, and possibly BMX. Other than that there is long distance running, triathlon and perhaps also Modern Pentathlon but that last one would be a longshot.

Even sports like rowing and canoeing would be more less likely since they are more about strength and lactic acid tolerance than pure O2 endurance.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
You would have to be a complete IDIOT to use Cera at the Olympics... after all the positives in the Tour. I dont believe this! "You would have to have an IQ below room temp," as **** Pound would say.

They microdose the epo so their autologous blood doping will not show up (low rectics.)

Thing is.... makes NO SENSE to use it unless a complete idiot... Unless they were trying to dope on their own with no help or support. Animal based EPO produced from hamsters and such is all detectable. Dynepo (human identical) will even show a non-negative but WADA cannot legally deem it in public as a positive.

It is possible now to just blood dope though (by storing the blood in a preserving solution that keeps the baby red cells alive.)

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
:(
Another kick in the teeth for cycling fans.
After being over the moon last week to see Rebellin perform so well in the Ardennes, I had to read this:mad:.
When will it end?

There were 7 positives from 6 riders which means that one person tested positive twice. If we do look at the possible cyclists then there is really only one person that did well twice and would have been tested twice. That would be Cancellara.

Other athletes that did well and was probably tested twice was Kenenisa Bekele and Tirunesh Dibaba who both won the 5000m and 10000m races. Also Jared Tallent from the 20k and 50k walk event.

Those are the double medalists in obvious endurance sports I could find. There could of course be non medalists as well though.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
You would have to be a complete IDIOT to use Cera at the Olympics... "You would have to have an IQ below room temp," as **** Pound would say.

They microdose the epo so their autologous blood doping will not show up (low rectics.)

Thing is.... makes NO SENSE to use it unless a complete idiot... Unless they were trying to dope on their own with no help or support. Animal based EPO from hamsters and such is all detectable. Dynepo (human identical) will even show a non-negative but WADA cannot legally deem it in public as a positive.

You would have to be an even bigger idiot to do it after the positives at the Tour and GIRO.
Rebellin? After Sella, Ricco, Piepoli? He was pointing to his head when he won Fleche last week.
I just hope the Italian press got it wrong with the names.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
There were 7 positives from 6 riders which means that one person tested positive twice. If we do look at the possible cyclists then there is really only one person that did well twice and would have been tested twice. That would be Cancellara.

Other athletes that did well and was probably tested twice was Kenenisa Bekele and Tirunesh Dibaba who both won the 5000m and 10000m races. Also Jared Tallent from the 20k and 50k walk event.

Those are the double medalists in obvious endurance sports I could find. There could of course be non medalists as well though.

Good pick on Canc. He has also been in hiding. Maybe he knew ?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Remember last year after the positives at the Giro and Tour there was talk of dropping cycling as an olympic sport?
Wonder will there even be a discussion now?:(

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Ouch! That's a big fish to have been caught :confused:

Man it took long enough though... guess they verified it several times before stating it was so. So what is next? Ban? There needs to be an interrogation, and hopefully the pushers are next in line. Just one note: if a tainted Tylenol bottle can be traced back to its batch number why can't a super expensive Cancer Treatment drug be traced back to its origin? or Path of distribution? We all know why but if the corresponding government drug authorities (USDA in the US?) do some due diligence some doctors and pharmaceuticals will need to start explaining their drugs getting in the wrong hands. G.D. the pusher, G.D. the pushers!

I just hope the rest of the positives are from the ribbon waving competition, they need to be doped to do that stuff :D

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:

Bit of a leap....random testing also occurred, etc. Any number of athletes could have popped twice. To assume that it is Cancellera is a bit of a stretch at this point....The report did not say "Olympic medalists", just "athletes."

Not saying it is not possible...nothing would surprise me anymore. I am just waiting for some evidence before I start tossing people under the bus.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
It's a shame cycling is getting so much attention for the wrong reasons but at least there is an effort to clean the sport. In my opinion, most of the pros are doping even today. I'd like to think that most riders are clean but that's very unlikely. I still love cycling, but I certainly won't keep my head in the sand and pretend no one is doping. The difference with cycling and most professionnal sports is that cycling is trying to clean itself whereas other sports don't bother.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
On the bright side, this could indicate that Andy Schleck - I assume he was tested and retested too after his good result in the OS road race - is clean, or at least not using CERA.

But this indeed yet another criplling blow to cycling. And if it's true, will it mean that Simoni can't have his last goodbye to the Giro?

ingsve said:

Don't forget the swimmers. They have endurance events as well. And does an athlete have to do well to be tested?

TRENDING THREADS