• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

72nd Omloop Het Nieuwsblad (02/03-2019) - 200 km

Winter is leaving.

The real season is about to begin! This Saturday, the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad will mark the beginning of the Belgian season, and it will do so with a bang.

Except for Peter Sagan, Gianni Moscon, Alexander Kristoff, John Degenkolb and Mathieu van der Poel (and to a minor extent Alejandro Valverde and perhaps Fernando Gaviria and Sacha Modolo), all the supposed headliners of the Belgian cobbled spring will aspire to be the successor of Michael Valgren who won last year after a tactically well played finale by the Astana team that also had Oscar Gatto and Alexey Lutsenko in the 13 rider selective group from which Valgren's winning attack was made.

There are six previous winners in the field (three of which have won two times) in the shape of Valgren, Greg Van Avermaet (2016, 2017), Ian Stannard (2014, 2015), Sep Vanmarcke (2012), Sebastian Langeveld (2011) and Philippe Gilbert (2006 and 2008) of which Valgren, Van Avermaet, Vanmarcke and Gilbert will line up as some of the biggest favourites for this year's race.

Curiously, there are only four additional riders in the field that have previously ended on the podium (Lukasz Wisniowski (2018), Tiesj Benoot (2016), Niki Terpstra (2015) and Edvald Boasson Hagen (2014)), meaning that it's only the EF, CCC and Dimension Data teams that boast two Omloop podium riders. So much for being considered the three weakest WT teams (Katusha may have a say here).

The route is the same as last year, so the Muur van Geraardsbergen and the Bosberg will again constitute the final obstacle before the arrival in Ninove as a throwback to the old Flanders route from before 2012. Before, the riders will pass the Wolvenberg, the Molenberg, the Leberg, the Berendries and the Elverenberg in the final 60 kms.

Last year's race was a complete bust, but luckily it doesn't seem as though the wind direction will be as adverse as last year, so we could be in for one of the best treats of the year.

But remember that a victory here is not necessarily a good thing: To this day, the same rider has never won both the Omloop and the Tour of Flanders the same year.

Highlighted riders in the startlist are people, I think have a chance to win this bike race.

Team Dimension Data
1 VALGREN Michael
2 VERMOTE Julien
3 BOASSON HAGEN Edvald
4 NIZZOLO Giacomo
5 TILLER Rasmus
6 VENTER Jaco
7 BAK Lars Ytting

Deceuninck - Quick Step
11 LAMPAERT Yves
12 DECLERCQ Tim
13 GILBERT Philippe
14 KEISSE Iljo
15 JUNGELS Bob
16 SÉNÉCHAL Florian
17 ŠTYBAR Zdeněk

Lotto Soudal
21 BENOOT Tiesj
22 DE BUYST Jasper
23 FRISON Frederik
24 KEUKELEIRE Jens
25 MAES Nikolas
26 VAN GOETHEM Brian
27 WELLENS Tim

AG2R La Mondiale
31 NAESEN Oliver
32 GODON Dorian
33 DENZ Nico
34 DILLIER Silvan
35 DUVAL Julien
36 GOUGEARD Alexis
37 VANDENBERGH Stijn

Astana Pro Team
41 BALLERINI Davide
42 BIZHIGITOV Zhandos
43 DE VREESE Laurens
44 GIDICH Yevgeniy
45 HOULE Hugo
46 LUTSENKO Alexey
47 CORT Magnus

Bahrain Merida
51 TEUNS Dylan
52 BOLE Grega
53 COLBRELLI Sonny
54 GARCÍA Iván
55 KOREN Kristijan
56 AGNOLI Valerio
57 PIBERNIK Luka

BORA - hansgrohe
61 ACKERMANN Pascal
62 DRUCKER Jempy
63 OSS Daniel
64 PÖSTLBERGER Lukas
65 SAGAN Juraj
66 SCHILLINGER Andreas
67 SELIG Rüdiger

CCC Team
71 VAN AVERMAET Greg
72 VAN HOECKE Gijs
73 VAN HOOYDONCK Nathan
74 VENTOSO Francisco José
75 VAN KEIRSBULCK Guillaume
76 WIŚNIOWSKI Łukasz
77 SCHÄR Michael

EF Education First
81 VANMARCKE Sep
82 DOCKER Mitchell
83 HOWES Alex
84 LANGEVELD Sebastian
85 PHINNEY Taylor
86 SCULLY Tom
87 BRESCHEL Matti

Groupama - FDJ
91 DUCHESNE Antoine
92 HOELGAARD Daniel
93 KONOVALOVAS Ignatas
94 KÜNG Stefan
95 LE GAC Olivier
96 SINKELDAM Ramon

Mitchelton-Scott
101 TRENTIN Matteo
102 DURBRIDGE Luke
103 EDMONDSON Alex
104 HEPBURN Michael
105 JUUL-JENSEN Christopher
106 SMITH Dion
107 AFFINI Edoardo

Movistar Team
111 ROELANDTS Jürgen
112 BARBERO Carlos
113 BETANCUR Carlos
114 ERVITI Imanol
115 ARCAS Jorge
116 SEPÚLVEDA Eduardo
117 PEDRERO Antonio

Team Jumbo-Visma
121 VAN AERT Wout
122 ROOSEN Timo
123 TEUNISSEN Mike
124 VAN DER HOORN Taco
125 VAN POPPEL Danny
126 EENKHOORN Pascal
127 WYNANTS Maarten

Team Katusha - Alpecin
131 DEBUSSCHERE Jens
132 BIERMANS Jenthe
133 HOLLENSTEIN Reto
134 KUZNETSOV Vyacheslav
135 POLITT Nils
136 WÜRTZ SCHMIDT Mads
137 TANFIELD Harry

Team Sky
141 STANNARD Ian
142 DOULL Owain
143 KNEES Christian
144 LAWLESS Chris
146 BASSO Leonardo
147 VAN BAARLE Dylan

Team Sunweb
151 BAKELANTS Jan
152 CURVERS Roy
153 KRAGH ANDERSEN Asbjørn
154 FRÖHLINGER Johannes
155 MATTHEWS Michael
156 PEDERSEN Casper
157 VERVAEKE Louis

Trek - Segafredo
161 STUYVEN Jasper
162 THEUNS Edward
163 KIRSCH Alex
164 MULLEN Ryan
165 PEDERSEN Mads
166 FRAME Alex
167 BEPPU Fumiyuki

UAE-Team Emirates
171 PHILIPSEN Jasper
172 FERRARI Roberto
173 MARCATO Marco
174 MOLANO Juan Sebastián
175 BYSTRØM Sven Erik
176 SUTHERLAND Rory
177 BOHLI Tom

Cofidis, Solutions Crédits
181 LAPORTE Christophe
182 CLAEYS Dimitri
183 HOFSTETTER Hugo
184 TOUZE Damien
185 VAN LERBERGHE Bert
186 VANBILSEN Kenneth
187 WAEYTENS Zico

Corendon - Circus
191 DEVOLDER Stijn
192 DE BONDT Dries
193 JANS Roy
194 JANSSENS Jimmy
195 MEISEN Marcel
196 STALLAERT Joeri
197 VAN TRIJP Maarten

Direct Energie
201 TERPSTRA Niki
202 GAUDIN Damien
203 LIGTHART Pim
204 PETIT Adrien
205 PICHOT Alexandre
206 CARDIS Romain
207 TURGIS Anthony

Roompot - Charles
211 BOOM Lars
212 ASSELMAN Jesper
213 DE WITTE Mathias
214 REINDERS Elmar
215 STEELS Stijn
216 VAN GINNEKEN Sjoerd
217 VAN POPPEL Boy

Sport Vlaanderen - Baloise
221 ALLEGAERT Piet
222 CAPIOT Amaury
223 DECLERCQ Benjamin
224 PLANCKAERT Edward
225 SPRENGERS Thomas
226 VAN HECKE Preben
227 WARLOP Jordi

Wallonie-Bruxelles
231 DEHAES Kenny
232 ISTA Kevyn
233 WIRTGEN Tom
234 LIEPIŅŠ Emīls
235 SPENGLER Lukas
236 PLANCKAERT Baptiste
237 TAMINIAUX Lionel

Wanty - Groupe Gobert
241 BAUGNIES Jérôme
242 DE GENDT Aimé
243 DEVRIENDT Tom
244 BACKAERT Frederik
245 KREDER Wesley
246 MEURISSE Xandro
247 VLIEGEN Loïc

Absolutely thrilled for den Omloop. As usual nearly impossible to predict because it's hard to gauge riders' shape at this point. I'd say there are like 15 riders with a(n) (outside) chance of winning, maybe even more.

I'm going to give it a go anyway. I'd probably make a different list tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow again.

**** GVA
*** Stuyven, Vanmarcke, Stybar, Gilbert
** Valgren, Terpstra, Lampaert, Lutsenko, Wellens
* Van Baarle, Van Aert, Benoot, Matthews, Kragh Andersen, Naesen

Re:

Flamin said:
Absolutely thrilled for den Omloop. As usual nearly impossible to predict because it's hard to gauge riders' shape at this point. I'd say there are like 15 riders with a(n) (outside) chance of winning, maybe even more.

I'm going to give it a go anyway. I'd probably make a different list tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow again.

**** GVA

No love for Trentin? The guy has seemed unstoppable in Spain this month. His team is not the best for the cobbles, but if Durbridge can find his 2017 level, he could be a very good ally.

YES, bring it on. I hardly ever watch any of the middle eastern races, or the Iberian season openers so Omloop for me always is the real start of the season. Just when I get a bit tired of the skiing season the cycling season starts with some of the best races of the year. Gilbert ftw

Gigs_98 said:
YES, bring it on. I hardly ever watch any of the middle eastern races, or the Iberian season openers so Omloop for me always is the real start of the season. Just when I get a bit tired of the skiing season the cycling season starts with some of the best races of the year. Gilbert ftw

Don't you have something very important to do this weekend? :p

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Flamin said:

**** GVA

No love for Trentin? The guy has seemed unstoppable in Spain this month. His team is not the best for the cobbles, but if Durbridge can find his 2017 level, he could be a very good ally.

Yes, Trentin was next on my list, but I had to stop somewhere :) but he'd definitely fit in there.

Gigs_98 said:
Alexandre B. said:
Direct Energie
201 TERPSTRA Niki
202 GAUDIN Damien
203 LIGTHART Pim
204 PETIT Adrien
205 PICHOT Alexandre
206 CARDIS Romain
207 TURGIS Anthony
That's quite impressive for a PCT.
What in earth, Terpstra went to direct energie? How on earth did I not notice that.

Nothing to worry about, just the most eyebrow-raising transfer of the decade :lol:

tobydawq said:
Flamin said:

**** GVA

His team is actually decent, with Edmondson, Juul-Jensen and Hepburn. Durbridge looks like he might have some good form too if Aus Nats TT is any indication.

Most exciting weekend of the year for me, because everything I love about cycling is back: cobbles, wind, chaos, bergs, top riders attacking 50 km from the finish. And when the weekend's over you know the best part of the season has just started. I can't wait.

Feb 25, 2018
Visit site
Re:

tobydawq said:
I am surprised by the absence of Marcus Burghardt. Is he off training with Sagan somewhere?

Reviewing his FB posts he was training in Algarve. He should start at Strade next week according to PCS so probably he will not have much time to train with Sagan who is in Sierra Nevada.

Interested to see how Marc Soler rides as I believe he is down to race both events on opening weekend and given how well he rode in the break of the day at Paris-Roubaix last year I am curious as to whether they think he can be a genuine cobbled classics contender or if it's just all round prep for Grand Tours.

Anybody know whats happened to Luke Rowe? Seems to have disapeared from start lists. Injured? didn't finish Algarve.

edit: dm, Had some illness this week so unfortunately I’ll be watching this weekends racing on the tv. Gutted but got to look forward and get healthy for Paris nice good luck @TeamSky boys let rip

Re:

Strawberry_Jams said:
Anybody know whats happened to Luke Rowe? Seems to have disapeared from start lists. Injured? didn't finish Algarve.

edit: dm, Had some illness this week so unfortunately I’ll be watching this weekends racing on the tv. Gutted but got to look forward and get healthy for Paris nice good luck @TeamSky boys let rip

Just seen you’ve edited, but yes misses the race having been ill, looks like Sky all in for DVB, unless Stannard rolls back to the form of 4 years ago.

TRENDING THREADS