• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

75th Tour de Romandie (2.UWT) // 27th of April - 2nd of May 2021

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I remember some guy called Froome who always had a good team around him, seemed to work for him. I see Pogacar as a raging favourite at the moment as he doesn't have any weaknesses. Have to see if Roglic's lighter schedule going into the Tour pays dividends. Thomas has his work cut out but a podium wouldn't surprise, winning is another matter unless he can find the form from 2018 which still may not be good enough to beat the Slovenians. Good to see Roglic trying something different with his prep as many grand tour riders often stick to the same agenda every season even when the results are not improving. Hopefully someone can raise a challenge to Roglic and Pogacar. Ineos is doing well in stage raxces this season, the addition of Yates and Porte is working out and Dennis has proved to be a very good domestique as well so they they will be disappointed if they don't convert in a least one grand tour this season.
I tell you what the weakness of Pogačar will be. Summer heat of July in France. Summer heat will be the biggest obstacle of Pogačar on Tour. He is really suffering in the heat. And I do not think that in July in France the temperatures will be low. He had big, big luck that Tour 2020 was in September. That's why I always did think that he is more suitable for Giro, but, let's see in this year's edition if he can handle 3 weeks of summer heat.

Reactions: movingtarget
I tell you what the weakness of Pogačar will be. Summer heat of July in France. Summer heat will be the biggest obstacle of Pogačar on Tour. He is really suffering in the heat. And I do not think that in July in France the temperatures will be low. He had big, big luck that Tour 2020 was in September. That's why I always did think that he is more suitable for Giro, but, let's see in this year's edition if he can handle 3 weeks of summer heat.
I vaguely remember thinking something like this and I may have posted something like that Tour being a great opportunity for Pog, but now I don't really remember great examples of Pog being super bad in the heat?

Few 2019 Vuelta stages maybe?

Also isn't UAE literally in the desert? Though I wouldn't know what temperatures those are.

Reactions: Gregor_Slovenia
Vuelta 2019 yes. Well, yes, maybe he is now more used to the heat already. Tough to find any possible weakness of Pogačar, maybe the heat is rellevant. Might be wrong myself, but standard termin of Tour in July will be the real indicator. As a pro rider he actually never raced in July yet. And, secondly, the heat of July is much worse than heat of September in Vuelta. My personal opinion on heat. A okay, yes he handled this year UAE heat perfectly. Might be that he is nicely used on the heat now. So, this possible weakness, we can cross out it :smile:

That MTF looks pretty gigantic, and I don't think they have the firepower to not have Dennis be a domestique at all.

Maybe they'll just let Porte go choo choo, or maybe Thomas is full training mode, but I don't see how Dennis is their main choice.

Maybe, but I think it's possible Ineos will have the final GC podium at the end... (with the second time trial in mind)

It's not as gigantic as Stelvio and I remember Dennis domestiquing all the way up to a Stelvio climbing record last year.
Did you just say "domestiquing"

Mainly I think circumstances are so different Dennis won't perform like that in Romandie, and I think that Giro field was weak , and the best on Col de la Loze were clearly better IMO.

Like, Dennis could win if they ride for Dennis, but then you have to ride defensively vs MAL and Kuss instead of just climbing with them and eating them in the ITT for sure. Dennis wasn't even part of the final climbing train in Catalunya.

How many sprinters are even at this race? Sagan and...?

if it's really a big sprint, there are also guys like Viviani, Moschetti, or maybe Bauhaus. For a more reduced one, Colbrelli, Venturini, Cort, Pasqualon, Smith, Bevin and so on. Stewart, if he has recovered from his crash. Overall not too bad a field, I would say.

Not first class of course, but better than recently in Catalunya, Itzulia or Trentino, I would say

Reactions: Zinoviev Letter
if it's really a big sprint, there are also guys like Viviani, Moschetti, or maybe Bauhaus. For a more reduced one, Colbrelli, Venturini, Cort, Pasqualon, Smith, Bevin and so on. Stewart, if he has recovered from his crash. Overall not too bad a field, I would say.

Not first class of course, but better than recently in Catalunya, Itzulia or Trentino, I would say

didn’t realise that Viviani, Bauhaus and Moschetti are there. Almost seems like punishment duty to be sent to this race unless their teams really do think a big sprint is likely.

didn’t realise that Viviani, Bauhaus and Moschetti are there. Almost seems like punishment duty to be sent to this race unless their teams really do think a big sprint is likely.
Skjelmose said that Moschetti returned in great shape from the altitude training camp, and they seem to believe in him. Normally I'd also think that it should be too hard for him, and he also hasn't shown much since his crash in general - so will be interesting to see if he really can hang on.