• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

76th Omloop Het Nieuwsblad: February 27, 2021

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Prediction: Steppers will send 3 or 4 riders out in the early break. forcing the teams who missed the break to chase and still have Alaphilippe to nuke it on the Muur if they get caught by the peloton.
Prediction: Steppers will send 3 or 4 riders out in the early break. forcing the teams who missed the break to chase and still have Alaphilippe Stannard nuke it on the Muur if they get caught by the peloton. fify - shame he retired.

Let's say in Flanders we call it either "Het Volk" (but less and less) or "den Omloop". I prefer the latter, since that's really the core title of the race that survived these name changes.

For those who wonder: Het Volk was a newspaper, but it was sold to the more successful Het Nieuwsblad (which also owns 'Sportwereld', the sports magazine founded by the same guy who brought the Ronde van Vlaanderen to life) and went up in it a few years later. Hence the last name change.

It's incredible really how newspapers affected cycling and its biggest races the past 120 years. For instance: the Tour de France is strongly connected to L'Equipe (formerly L'Auto), so is the Giro d'Italia to La Gazzetta. They both chose the colours of their leaders jerseys (yellow and pink) referring to the colours of the paper their organizing media was printed on.

Last edited:
Let's say in Flanders we call it either "Het Volk" (but less and less) or "den Omloop". I prefer the latter, since that's really the core title of the race that survived these name changes.

For those who wonder: Het Volk was a newspaper, but it was sold to the more successful Het Nieuwsblad (which also owns 'Sportwereld', the sports magazine founded by the same guy who brought the Ronde van Vlaanderen to life) and went up in it a few years later. Hence the last name change.

It's incredible really how newspapers affected cycling and its biggest races the past 120 years. For instance: the Tour de France is strongly connected to L'Equipe (formerly L'Auto), so is the Giro d'Italia to La Gazzetta. They both chose the colours of their leaders jerseys (yellow and pink) referring to the colours of the paper their organizing media was printed on.
That was a dominant advertising model at the time. The newspapers were the only media.
Cycling was the most attractive sport for the matter. And the bicycle was, pretty much, the only vehicle available to ordinary people.
So, there really wasn't some other option to get things going.
As time went on, the model developed to be copied everywhere around.

Johan Jacobs and Florian Vermeersch are two of the biggest upcoming classic talents and I think they could spring very nice results this weekend and the following weeks. The same goes for Jonas Rutsch who could've had a breakthrough result already last year, if he would've been able to get out of a jacket. He'll probably be limited by team duties for Keukeleire/Langeveld but Jacobs will be free to do what he wants and Vermeersch could already be on a similar level to Wellens/Gilbert in the smaller classics.

Going in to work early tomorrow, so I can get home asap. The only other day I do that is Christmas Eve, which this very much feels like :)

From a purely parochial point of view, everyone in The UK will be interested in seeing if Pidcock can make an impact during the classics season. But I'm almost as curious to see how Ethan Hayter handles the cobbles. Here's hoping they can make up for the absence of Stannard :(

Reactions: Wvv and Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS