• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

8 stage Giro

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Pimich said:
What do you think about stage???? Sprint, gap or classik sprint
A sprint between "classics" riders.

The stage started fast with 7, and then 10, riders breaking away. After an hour their advantage is a couple of minutes.

The first hour was again raced very fast: 44,9 km/h (27.9 mph), amazing considering the race profile.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Lampre is not happy with the breakaway and they are chasing hard. Now they are hitting the first climb of the day and someone in the peloton will get tired legs, I fear.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The peloton came down to less than one and a half minutes in the climb, but after the KOM they slowed down. Three minutes now for Tschopp and Cataldo followed by Visconti and Petrov.

EDIT: 39,2 km/h is not bad considering the climb.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
I wonder who that might be?
They are using the old Tour of Lombardy finish, so expect some of the contenders to struggle to avoid time gaps.
Very easy for a big name to lose 30-40 seconds in the last 6kms....
And for a reminder (strange to see such "old" names mixed to others racing today): Lombardy 2001.

ingsve said:
10 men in breakaway and LPR leading the chase. The breakaway will make it with 15 minutes today.
Edit: It's even 10 diffrent teams represented so alot of teams ought to be happy with the break.

No chance.
Petrov is in the break and at 4 and a half on the GC.
Break currently being held under 4.
Can't see wise owl Bruyneel, letting anybody do an "Oscar Pereiro."

Mellow Velo said:
No chance.

Ah, that's true. I hadn't bothered checking if anyone was close on GC. I went on feel and most of them were people I knew were far behind.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
No chance.
And Cunego wants the stage.

Horrillo fell on the descent and is being transported to the hospital via helicopter.

Leopejo said:
It was Armstrong who forced and broke the peloton on the climb.

That'll have the fanboys going all weak at the knees.

Looks like Astana are, as predicted, helping LPR to nullify the break.
Wonder if DDL will pay them back by chasing those bonus seconds?
I've given up picking Cunego.
He was so good at Coppi e Bartali, but that was his peak!

Can't understand how Cadel E doesn't give up his less than no chance of winning the Tour and concentrates on the Giro.
He always ride so well, when he races in Italy.

Maybe he just can't get over that 2002 bonk.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Now the time gap is increasing again, with only LPR pulling.

It seems they are quite concerned in the peloton about Horrillo's crash.

Oscar Gatto tore his cycling bibs in a crash too. He has big, sprinter leg muscles, for those interested.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Horillo fell down a ravine... Apparently he had to be recovered by mountaineers, and the helicopter Uni Sports announcer was talking about, was used to localise him as well.

Hope he is well, but it seems like a terrible crash. I'll keep an eye out for announcements on the RAB site...

hmm Cunego and/or Gasparotto seem to want to have a go at it today. I wonder how Gilbert and Rodriguez are feeling. Since Pozatto, Garzelli, and Visconti have shown some interest in a stage win, I think they'll be in contention today as well.

How would the sprinters like Davis, even EBHagen dasz, be doing today...?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Horrillo is not risking his life. His situation is 3.5 out of 5 in some medical scale, meaning "serious - very serious".

He was found 60 meters down from the road.

TRENDING THREADS