• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

80ª Volta a Portugal em Bicicleta (1 a 12 de Agosto de 2018)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Mayomaniac said:
Hakkapelit said:
Do they have a extreme weather protocol i Portugal, looks like it could be record hot rhe coming days.
I doubt that the local teams care about the extreme heat, it's pretty normal durning the Vuelta.
Vuelta and Volta. :D
When you're thinking about 2 races at the same time. :eek:
But yeah, it's probably the same with the Spanish teams that are preparing for the Vuelta, they know what to expect.

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Hakkapelit said:
Do they have a extreme weather protocol i Portugal, looks like it could be record hot rhe coming days.
I doubt that the local teams care about the extreme heat, it's pretty normal durning the Volta.

40 to 44 degrees isn't normal. The heat comes from Sahara and it comes with really hot wind. This weekend is going to be extreme. There are forecasts, that say, that a new european heat record of over 48 degrees could be set. So they might shorten stages like Down Under this january.

Riding Torre with temperatures like this...there won't be many riders left after the weekend.

Americam model GFS forecasts up to 50°C for saturday.

0TaqWoW.png

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
We likely won't hit 50ºC - that prediction uses the GFS model, which is less accurate than others available. Regardless, all agree on at least 47ºC on Saturday. This will be pretty extreme even for us locals - we're used to heat, but nothing like that.

I'll be very surprised if Stage 3 isn't affected - maybe 2 and 4 as well. As hilarious as that may sound for Volta riders, I'm genuinely worried for their health.

Re:

luckyboy said:
Tram tracks right at the beginning and then cobbled street crossings for riders to crash on - they really packed in the obstacles for this 1.8km course lol
there is not a single line of tram tracks in that city, where did you saw those :lol:

as for the crashes, they were caused by an idiot in a flat that was throwing water to the course, in a cobbled crossing. :mad:

TRENDING THREADS