• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

82nd Volta a Portugal em Bicicleta Santander (August 4-15)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

MnR

Oct 4, 2019
Visit site
W52 with 3 leaders and no one to work. Efapel just responding to atacks.

Moreira is realy a surprise how its doing the summit.

Gonzalez from Movistar seems to be fine and holding this start and stop.

Reactions: Sandisfan

MnR

Oct 4, 2019
Visit site
76kg Moreira riding down attacks by Rodrigues and Antunes would be pretty wild in any other race. At the Volta it's just another day at work.
I just realize now that André Cardoso os riding for Efapel...

But its just another Volta day. Candido Barbosa was 11° at Torre so, the Kg dont matter

I just realize now that André Cardoso os riding for Efapel...

But its just another Volta day. Candido Barbosa was 11° at Torre so, the Kg dont matter
Candido Barbosa is an almost mythical creature, so it's hard to compare a normal human being to him.

Marque now leads the gc, 51sec ahead of Moreira. Efapel and W52 should be able to drop him on the less tactical ascents, but his teammate Veloso sits 4th on the gc, only 18 sec behind Moreira and is also a good TTer. He can be used to cover attacks, if W52 and Efapel manage to play the numbers games.

It would be the most Volta thing ever if Marque and Veloso were the ones to end theW52/Porto streak.

No idea what W52 were doing today, maybe they were shocked by the fact that they couldn't drop Moreira and that he was the one riding down attacks. No idea what Efapel were doing, both Moreira and Figueiredo looked really strong and they still didn't use Carvalho, who was clearly weaker and struggling a lot, as a domestique.
And worst of all, they didn't even chase their own teammates, so it wasn't even proper Volta team tactics...

• Love
It genuinely looked like Efapel and W52 had their own private race there, completely oblivious to what was happening around them.

Regarding Tavira jersey, from a certain angle it somewhat reminded the 2009 Astana jersey, so for a split second I was wondering how can they be there. In the end, Marque's winning margin was not that dissimilar to Contador on Verbier...:D

About the stage, I prefer the 2017 and the 2018 stages that included Torre to a simple MTF on top of the climb, I think that makes for a more interesting race and the wind also becomes less of a factor, unlike last year for example when nobody was able to make his attack stick beecause of the wind.
volta-a-portugal-2017-stage-9-profile.jpg

volta-a-portugal-2018-stage-4-profile-2af7d1c625.jpg

Reactions: Lui98

TRENDING THREADS