• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

84th Gent-Wevelgem: 27 March, 2022

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
At the very least, Japan has a long history of road cycling dating all the way back to the "Tokyo Wheel Association" from 1908.

Personally, I've always wondered why there are no Indian riders. It's a country of a billion people. There must be some upcoming talents waiting to be discovered.
India almost never does anything relevant in any sports besides cricket (one could say the same about Pakistan).

How about the infrastructure in Japan/India etc playing a role?

I have visited a lot of cities in Japan and it seemed to me that the majority of people live in places where you do not exactly go out for a nice stroll on a summer evening. (provided you have the time for it)

I remember reading something about how Indian culture doesn't consider sports and physical training as dignified and that the same held true for China but that they try hard to make it work anyway for matters of international prestige.
Basically people there will be less impressed when you sacrifice going to college etc. to become an athlete.

Balsamo is great, she's been fairly underappreciated for the success she's had in the sprints this last couple of years due to Wiebes getting the headlines and that Elisa was riding for a relatively small Italian squad that couldn't back her fully against the likes of Trek and SD Worx, but now she's on one of those big teams herself she's really showing that she's no less a talent in a sprint than Lorena, and she's more versatile too. Her style on the bike, build etc. are all very different, but her skillset reminds me a lot of Giorgia Bronzini.
Her sprining stle reminds me a lot of Alejet or Cipo, controlled with very little wasteful lateral movement.

Japan's problem is that they have a good domestic scene including a track scene where you can make a decent living.

If you lived in Japan and had talent, would you rather make a decent living in the domestic scene, or fly halfway around the world where barely anyone speaks your language, makes the food you like, and probably won't be prioritized for some Belgian or French team?

Impressive victory for Girmay, it's a breakthrough moment for him and the whole continent. He has a promising future ahead.
Was very happy to see this. He'd been lurking in the top 10 all early season. His only weakness seemed to be pace on the cobbled climbs but he made it through today. He can now have a long, supported career with this result and hope more to come.

What a nice race, action packed for the last 100km. At the end it looked at one point it would be a bunch sprint for sure, but it wasn't to be. And at the end an amazing win by Girmay! He's just 21 and already a name in the classics!

FO3ho1tXEAgwrsv

How about the infrastructure in Japan/India etc playing a role?

I have visited a lot of cities in Japan and it seemed to me that the majority of people live in places where you do not exactly go out for a nice stroll on a summer evening. (provided you have the time for it)
Maybe, but regional Japan is on par with anywhere in the world for places to ride a bike including Lombardia, Trentino and the Alps

What a nice race, action packed for the last 100km. At the end it looked at one point it would be a bunch sprint for sure, but it wasn't to be. And at the end an amazing win by Girmay! He's just 21 and already a name in the classics!

FO3ho1tXEAgwrsv

On the picture it seems he cannot believe it… :)

He today beat best-ever Laporte, van Gestel (who has a great spring and seems as strong as Turgis) and former San Remo champion Stuyven…

This year‘s was a rather long, and certainly really fast edition of GW. Most members of cobbled Classics‘ world elite were at the startline.

To win it just like Girmay did today, you have to be extremely strong and absolute world class. He has arrived there.

These races demand so much from the riders, the teams, the material. Experience is so important there. Even the best riders there normally need a few (maybe two or three) Belgian spring campaigns to get used to this style of riding, the roads, the positioning, etc. …

A young man coming from Eritrea, doing these races for the first time, aged 21, is something special, anyways. Then finishing E3 in 5th position, and winning Wevelgem two days later, that is really almost unbelievable… He was meant to be good, OK - but what he did this weekend, that is hard to believe… I, personally, still can hardly believe it. Epic stuff…

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93