• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

94th Giro d'Italia May 7 - 29

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Oh gods, an Italian flag? This whole 150th anniversary nationalistic thing is going to be unbearable.

I won't have a clue of they are talking about it at least as I don't speak italian. It is 150 years, I don't think a bit of that hurts. It will make it harder for commentators and tv viewers when trying to read the race numbers.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
bettiniphoto_0079647_1_full_600.jpg

Alberto Contador, DanielNavarro

hrotha said:
Oh gods, an Italian flag? This whole 150th anniversary nationalistic thing is going to be unbearable.

i don't think you understand the kind of pride the latin descent countries in Europe have on their history. tbh i like all this celebration

taiwan said:
bettiniphoto_0079647_1_full_600.jpg

Alberto Contador, DanielNavarro

lol at riis in the background.

will he be dsing the entire race like he does in le tour?

Steven Kruijswijk is 14-1 to finish in the top 10 on bet365. 18th last year, a year older, did well on the climbs towards the end. There are quite a lot of better riders than him but that seems very long, am i missing something?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
Guys i have to say if contador does not win this i will be utterly suprised. A few Qs about him though. When did he perfect art of ITT? Who was his most influential DS? And does he have a book that's been translated to English?

he already had itt down to a perfection as a junior, in youth the itt was his biggest weapon, more so than climbing

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Frosty said:
Steven Kruijswijk is 14-1 to finish in the top 10 on bet365. 18th last year, a year older, did well on the climbs towards the end. There are quite a lot of better riders than him but that seems very long, am i missing something?

field has dramatically improved.
He will do very well to get in the top 10. Those seem about right imo.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The biggest disapointment is that the Finnestre descent is so short. I was hoping they would go down the same mountain they climb, but instead its a tiny drop before the high grades resume on Sestrieres.

In 2005 was that descent everyone loves so much down the whole mountain or similarly as short as this one?

same one. there is only one I think to go to sestrieres

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
field has dramatically improved.
He will do very well to get in the top 10. Those seem about right imo.

Fair enough. Some better riders are taking part this year but then Evans, Vino arent taking part. Some of the better riders probably wont make it to the end, ie Anton has a habit of crashing out. The top 10-14 in the odds do look quite imposing though. I dont think he'll finish in the top 10 but those odds are a bit long. I would go for him finishing 14th.

I'll be interested to see how Lofkvist goes. He did well at the start in 2009 but suffered later on. Whether this was down to poor recovery or just going too hard early on i dont know. He did well at the tour last year despite having to work for Wiggins. However, was disappointed by the second Tourmalet stage when he didnt have to worry about Wiggins. The unfortunate circumstances surrounding the Vuelta mean that we wont know how well he was going then.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I will doubt kruiswijk would even finish top 20. as often with young rabo riders they start of well in their first 1 or sometimes 2 years and them become the centerfold of being average like posthuma, weening, kozontchuk, ten dam.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
I will doubt kruiswijk would even finish top 20. as often with young rabo riders they start of well in their first 1 or sometimes 2 years and them become the centerfold of being average like posthuma, weening, kozontchuk, ten dam.

agree with weening and posthuma. But LTD has proved to be a valuable domestique in the past. He was awesome for menchov at 09' giro.
however his personal achievements have dried up.

But not sure that is a solid theory to base Kruijswijk fail on.
Clutching at straws.

I suspect he will be somewhere between 10-30 tho. Probably 20ish.
Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Ryo Hazuki said:
Lol. Ten Dam. A typical late bloomer, who wasn't that great in his first 2 years. And Kozonchuk?? He has only been a domestique during his pro career.

If you're going to Rabo bash, at least let it make sense. And try to limit it to twice a month, rather than twice a day.

FeyRRR

BANNED
May 4, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Lol. Ten Dam. A typical late bloomer, who wasn't that great in his first 2 years. And Kozonchuk?? He has only been a domestique during his pro career.

If you're going to Rabo bash, at least let it make sense. And thiry to limit it to twice a month, rather than twice a day.

It may sound harsh, but it's true. Take a look at their best rider(besides Freire, ofcourse):Gesink. He was an awesome talent three years ago and could climb even the steepest of climbs. And look at him now, he spend time on his time trailing, which ofcourse if good if you want to place high as a GC rider, but if it comes at the expense of his climbing, than Rabo are doing something wrong. And ofcourse their is the mental aspect, where most of these Dutchies just seem to collapse at the slightest of problems. Atleast it seems that way, to me.

FeyRRR said:
It may sound harsh, but it's true. Take a look at their best rider(besides Freire, ofcourse):Gesink. He was an awesome talent three years ago and could climb even the steepest of climbs. And look at him now, he spend time on his time trailing, which ofcourse if good if you want to place high as a GC rider, but if it comes at the expense of his climbing, than Rabo are doing something wrong. And ofcourse their is the mental aspect, where most of these Dutchies just seem to collapse at the slightest of problems. Atleast it seems that way, to me.
Yes, Gesink is a typical example of a once talented rider who is now decidely average :D

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the Giro.

Aug 5, 2009
Visit site
Would love to see Anton winning this or getting a podium place and have placed a small wager on him at 20/1. I think course suits him and easy to forget how well her perfromed in the Vuelta. A concern though would be what is strength of his time like not just for today but throughout the three weeks? Also does anyone know what time bonuses are for stage wins?

larryduff said:
Would love to see Nibali winning this or getting a podium place and have placed a small wager on him at 20/1. I think course suits him and easy to forget how well her perfromed in the Vuelta. A concern though would be what is strength of his time like not just for today but throughout the three weeks? Also does anyone know what time bonuses are for stage wins?

Where did you find odds of 20/1? Best odds i can find are 6/1.

TRENDING THREADS