• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

94th Giro d'Italia May 7 - 29

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 5, 2009
Visit site
Frosty said:
Where did you find odds of 20/1? Best odds i can find are 6/1.
He is 20/1 to win with Paddypower. I presume those 6/1 odds are for him to podium? Highest I can see him is 5/1 to podium, Where is the 6/1 available please?

larryduff said:
He is 20/1 to win with Paddypower. I presume those 6/1 odds are for him to podium? Highest I can see him is 5/1 to podium, Where is the 6/1 available please?

Paddypower, giro - outright betting. Nibali is 11/2. No-one is 20/1 currently although the odds may have changed recently. Nibali for the podium is 8/11.

Aug 5, 2009
Visit site
Frosty said:
Paddypower, giro - outright betting. Nibali is 11/2. No-one is 20/1 currently although the odds may have changed recently. Nibali for the podium is 8/11.

Freudian slip there meant to write Anton. No idea why I wrote Nibali. Apologies. Post edited.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
So I was looking at this weeks stages to work out which ones to lose sleep over and I threw away the first 6 before having second thoughts about stage 5 & 6.

The normal soul-destroying tour de france style would nullify these stages, but I spent the last week watching the sbs highlights programs from giro 2009 and pretty much all of these provoked some form of entertainment if not that much actual change.

I'd still write off 6.. its an uphill finish but the shape looks too wrong to do anything serious. Stage 5 is pretty short but sharp the sort that could produce tiny gaps? but looking at the last few kilometres profile seems to flatten out as well..

So action or no action? I'm starting to think it is going to be comfortable workday mornings.

mmm just read the preview.. the gravel is on stage 5.. maybe not.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Ok, here is my findings (with warnings for the errors which are certainly there), only guesstimated using TdF-climb categorization and a mix of climb's vertical displacement, length and grade.

TdF-ratings:
cat/Race: Giro'11 TdF'10 TdF'11
HC -------- 6 6 ?
1 -------- 10 10 ?
2 -------- 5 9 ?
Sum -------- 21 25 23

Giro'11 HC-climbs should be Etna (Rif. Sapienza), Crostis, Zoncolan, Piancavallo, Colle delle Finestre, Passo Fedaia
and Cat 1. which are right on the borderline to being HC is Etna(Rif. Citelli), Passo Giau.

So why does it seem harder than TdF'10?
Maybe:
1. Steeper climbs and not longer and less steep climbs
2. More mountaintop-finishes means that the mountains are "used" more effectively.
3. More offensive racing?

I think more challenging intermediate stages. We don't get enough Tour stages that can really shake things up. It's basically flat stage (sprint or uphill sprint), high mountain stage or transitional stage when the break goes.

Plus, in addition to number of climbs, it's where they are. Monte Grappa was the only climb in that stage. But the stage had the same effect as the Col de la Madeleine stage, which had three climbs before Madeleine. Similarly, this Montevergine stage, with just two cat.2 climbs (maybe a cat.2 and a cat.1 if this was the Tour), is much more effective and has more of an effect on the GC than the Pau stage of the Tour, with four cat.1 or HC climbs.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I think more challenging intermediate stages. We don't get enough Tour stages that can really shake things up. It's basically flat stage (sprint or uphill sprint), high mountain stage or transitional stage when the break goes.

Plus, in addition to number of climbs, it's where they are. Monte Grappa was the only climb in that stage. But the stage had the same effect as the Col de la Madeleine stage, which had three climbs before Madeleine. Similarly, this Montevergine stage, with just two cat.2 climbs (maybe a cat.2 and a cat.1 if this was the Tour), is much more effective and has more of an effect on the GC than the Pau stage of the Tour, with four cat.1 or HC climbs.

Check stage 1 and 4 out this tour.

El Pistolero said:
Check stage 1 and 4 out this tour.

I think both will go to about 100 riders getting to the final few km. A bit like stage 1 in 2008, but more challenging. Some time will be opened up, but it will all be right at the very end, and will probably be uphill sprints (as marked in my rather negative expectations). Having Gilbert around may make it more interesting, but if he has his April form he won't need to attack until the last km either.

And then we have a bunch of wasteful stages until we finally get to the Pyrenees for about stage 18. Even the Super-Besse stage doesn't feel like it's as hard as it should be.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
A strange thing I noticed on the Etna stage, let's count on it as ASO would ;)

Etna - Rif. Citelli 1634m - cat.1:
The Giro counts from Linguaglossa 534m, then it's 18,0km at 6,1% (1097m altitude gain)
When I count from Fiumefreddo di Sicilia 65m to Linguaglossa 534m we can add 11,1km at 4,2%, looks like it's uphill all the way.
Then it's 29,1km at (1569m altitude gain) at 5.3%, wow!
Compare it with Col d'Aubisque: 29,2 km at 4,2 % (Hors Catégorie)

PS. Fact is that the second Etna climb is more or less up all the way with 43,2km left at 4,06% (1752m ascent) but obviously it's pretty slack on it's lower slopes (but with some interesting ramps .DS

Ah, that's it.

When I look at the "climb profile" I was thinking that it wasn't as long as I remembered it being when only the stage profile was there.

But the individual climb profiles both start a fair way after they actually begin going uphill.

angelo fuccin zomegnan :D :

"L'étape aura bien lieu, peu importe ce que disent les médias. Il n'y a pas eu de graves coulées de laves et la zone devrait être en état"

lol the lava won't affect the riders.they have firefighters ready for action if things will get hot.

Zomegnan a également notifié que la descente du Monte Crostis avait été reconnu une nouvelle fois par l'organisation et il certifie que "les cyclistes ne courront aucun danger"

so crostis descent is ok,he even rode it himself on this:
!Bq(ipT!!2k~$(KGrHqUH-CEEumu4CURoBLvetCuVhw~~_35.JPG