• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

95th Ronde van Vlaanderen - April 3 2011

Page 78 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
thirteen said:
if you're talking about the others... my lips are sealed.

I have my suspicions ;)

2wlzmzt.jpg

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Really? Because to me it's pretty much exactly the same. They're both genuinely the best in the world at what they do, and they're both incredibly sore losers.
Well, I'd like to see for myself exactly what Cancellara said, and how he said it.
We've seen the words come out of Cavendish enough to form our own opinions of him, but I don't trust media "reports" entirely, especially when things may have been translated one way or the other.

But Canc did put it all on the line at Flanders which made the race that much more interesting for all of us. His recent comments only amp up the tension for Paris-Roubaix, which is good. He's also spelling it out perfectly for all the other teams: You wanna beat me at Roubaix? Then beat me!

Cavendish talks smack about other sprinters and sometime their lead-out tactics, but Fabian is taking on the entire peloton! Sure, his words made wince a bit, because I've never heard him be so audacious. But like I said, I'm not reading too much into just one interview in print.

The guy rides to win. That is what I support.

and don't forget that Cav gives up when he knows he isn't going to win (and usually blames it on somebody else).

Canc does not, as he showed us this past Sunday... he knew he might not, but he still gave it his all.

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Granville57 said:
He's also spelling it out perfectly for all the other teams: You wanna beat me at Roubaix? Then beat me!

I for one am eating up the psychological warfare; I saw him afterwards and his remarks shortly after the heat of battle seemed gracious, so I don't see this as something tossed out there by a sore loser. The guy is a warrior through and through; just throwing out the gauntlet for all to see. I love it!!

lol i like how he says "i wanted to do something never done before, so i took a risk" to me it just sounds like an excuse. he overestimated himself and underestimated every1 else. thats not being the best thats being silly, the "better" rider shouldn't make such a big tactical mistake.

besides his palmares is still smaller then boonens in terms of cobbled classics and since he didn't win the ronde this year he can't match it by the time he is the same age as boonen (will have 1 less ronde even if he wins roubaix this week)

but for the epic lulz i would love to see fabian not taking such a big risk this sunday and still lose. that would mean that not only did he not race agressively and dominated every1 from far away like he pretty much says he will, but he would have still failled. and too me that would be hilarious. but just cus of that. won't bother me much if he wins since he seems to be the strongest and would be unfair for him to end the spring season without a big win.

anyway there is only one guy who can be a cocky *** arrogant MOFO with lots of style and still deliver pretty much all of the time and that is jose mourinho who has been doing it for almost a decade the rest are just wannabees :p

The Hitch said:
Yes. Someone who totaly failed as an athlete is the best person to compare to Canc:rolleyes:

that must be troll bait but i will fall for it anyway
he wasn't a cocky athlete. he himself admits he was a sh*tty player. he is a cocky manager(best manager in the world) which is a different thing. the point is they are cocky about something they are good at, but mourinho just does it with a lot more style.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I like him much more (again) for seeing him to try to go from so far out on Sunday and miscalculating and therefore losing. To win a bike race ( a real one that is) you must be prepared to lose - and he did that, even if he wasnt expecting it.

This is great for P-R because the other riders will have belief, and he will have doubt, even if he is bigging it up now, and that will make for a more exciting race.

But I would not count on him repeating his errors.

I expect Garmin to be just as crap though. It will be down to Sky, BMC, Saxo and Quickstep to contain him (and I must also admit you have to respect that it takes those 4 teams combined to beat him into 3rd place)

Parrulo said:
that must be troll bait but i will fall for it anyway
he wasn't a cocky athlete. he himself admits he was a sh*tty player. he is a cocky manager which is a different thing. the point is they are cocky about something they are good at, .

Cancellara actually has to work and go through pain for his victories.
Narcisinho sits on a toucline and watches his players beat up on significantly weaker teams. Wow how impressive that he manages to win the CL once in every few years

but mourinho just does it with a lot more style

There are plenty of idiotic comments which even his most devoted fans will strugle to portray as anything other than the words of someone who during his stay in England should have qualified as unfit under the mental health act.

Calling himself "the special one". Such an act of lunacy will make you look like the megalomaniacal genius you are to anyone other than football fans

Real style;)

(best manager in the world)

Under your logic the guy who wooped Narcisinho 5-0 a few months ago and is owning him in the league is the best manager in the world.

*sigh

is it that hard to see that i was comparing the cocky attitudes? and not talking about the actual sport? just cus one is a cyclist and the other a football manager we can't compare their attitudes?

p.s. i like how you edited how the part where you say he only wins with big teams after i posted some of the teams we won with. good job

Parrulo said:
*sigh

is it that hard to see that i was comparing the cocky attitudes? and not talking about the actual sport? just cus one is a cyclist and the other a football manager we can't compare their attitudes?

All right then, ill meet you half way. How can you "hope Cancellara loses" while support the other for the same or similar comments?

Parrulo said:
but for the epic lulz i would love to see fabian not taking such a big risk this sunday and still lose.

127_for_teh_lulz.jpeg

besides we have seen mourinho lose before many times so it wouldn't be nothing new. . .:p

also cus like i said mourinho does the cocky thing with a lot of style and that makes him cool enough for people to support him.

if canc ever gets as good as mourinho in this being cocky thing then i prolly chear for him.

but for canc to do that he must be even more cocky then this and then deliver this type of celebration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh-WQDaFnNU

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
anyway there is only one guy who can be a cocky *** arrogant MOFO with lots of style and still deliver pretty much all of the time and that is jose mourinho who has been doing it for almost a decade the rest are just wannabees :p

Cipo anyone?

FabulousCandelabra said:
Truly classy for Fabu to shake the hand of a wheel sucker. If Chav initiated it he is lucky Fabu is a nice guy and didn't slap him.

It's all part of the sport and Cancellara I'm quite certain has taken his share of free rides in the draft of another before launching an attack. For him to minimize Nuyen's win is really disrespectful and extremely poor sportsmanship if he in fact said what has been quoted in the context in which it has been presented.