• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

95th Ronde van Vlaanderen - April 3 2011

Yeay De Ronde!

click for larger map

click for larger profile

Official Startlist in PDF

9ghav5.png

2nko4i.png

Thanks to TeamSkyFans for the last two.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
I really don't understand why they don't do De Berendries?
OK, there are roadworks, but for no more than 20m!! They could have easily fixed that temporary...

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Judging the way Garmin has raced, they don't have a chance to win, safe bet for a top five and another lame "moral victory".

Cancellara should win this unless he is unlucky. Excepting that, he will rip everyone else's legs off. Boonen looked to labored on the climbs yesterday.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I've got the feeling that watching De Ronde this year is going to be as entertaining as reading The Death of Ivan Ilich. The outcome is known before the start, but the interest is in when and how the events unfold.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
icefire said:
I've got the feeling that watching De Ronde this year is going to be as entertaining as reading The Death of Ivan Ilich. The outcome is known before the start, but the interest is in when and how the events unfold.

Ye I feel the same way. But I got some naive hope that Boonen, Hushovd etc can do something extraordinary to atleast make it interesting. Prais-Robaix migth be even less interesting if Spartacus again makes a move with 40 km to go. I really hope to see Boonen take one of them. The victory in Gent-W might have boosted his confidence.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara will be marked so heavily and has a rather weak classics team. So while I hope, he can defend his title, I have strong doubts that he might suceed again.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
FabulousCandelabra said:
I think Haussler is going to blow our minds and come away with the biggest win of his career. yeeehaw!
That would please me, but it's almost impossible to bet against the Candelabra. Hope it's a good race because I'll be there watching.

Best user-name ever btw. :D

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The only interesting point of speculation is where and when Cancellara will drop everyone and how big his advantage will be by the finish.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
What do I remember about this weekend.

1) Cancellara did some insane stuff. It was entirely off the chart and it has crushed most of my hopes and dreams for the following two Sundays. It looked even more impressive than last year. When people say the field in Harelbeke wasn't strong: that's bull****. Most definitely it wasn't the strongest field, but Cance did make it look like it was his kinder garden and if he does half of that on Sunday that will be sufficient IMO.

2) Boonen did a good job. He rode a strong sprint and looked confident after the finish (he always does). He did not look impressive on the hills though. But Boonen doesn’t need a pat on the shoulder; I remain confident he will be there on Sunday.

3) Gilbert had absolutely no business in Wevelgem. He should have been at the start in Harelbeke; a course that suits him much better. He looked strong in Wevelgem, but I don’t find it a very reliable measure for Vlaanderen.

4) Garmin failed miserably again. Haussler looked good in the E3, but he wasn’t able to keep Cance’s wheel. Hushovd looked decent in both races, but he didn’t impress. Farrar failed to deliver in Wevelgem, he had no help whatsoever in the final. That was a huge opportunity for the team and they ****ed it up big time.

5) Who else do I remember?
a. Sep Vanmarcke did great, he confirmed his potential.
b. O’Grady was the best domestique, by a long shot.
c. Terpstra was really good on Saturday, he is not a winner though.
d. Sagan did good. He tried spicing up the final on Sunday. Props. He has the legs, but sometimes lacks the brain IMO.
e. Rabo was strong on Saturday, but they lack a real leader (Breschel maybe).

boomcie said:
What do I remember about this weekend.

1) Cancellara did some insane stuff. It was entirely off the chart and it has crushed most of my hopes and dreams for the following two Sundays. It looked even more impressive than last year. When people say the field in Harelbeke wasn't strong: that's bull****. Most definitely it wasn't the strongest field, but Cance did make it look like it was his kinder garden and if he does half of that on Sunday that will be sufficient IMO.

2) Boonen did a good job. He rode a strong sprint and looked confident after the finish (he always does). He did not look impressive on the hills though. But Boonen doesn’t need a pat on the shoulder; I remain confident he will be there on Sunday.

3) Gilbert had absolutely no business in Wevelgem. He should have been at the start in Harelbeke; a course that suits him much better. He looked strong in Wevelgem, but I don’t find it a very reliable measure for Vlaanderen.

4) Garmin failed miserably again. Haussler looked good in the E3, but he wasn’t able to keep Cance’s wheel. Hushovd looked decent in both races, but he didn’t impress. Farrar failed to deliver in Wevelgem, he had no help whatsoever in the final. That was a huge opportunity for the team and they ****ed it up big time.

5) Who else do I remember?
a. Sep Vanmarcke did great, he confirmed his potential.
b. O’Grady was the best domestique, by a long shot.
c. Terpstra was really good on Saturday, he is not a winner though.
d. Sagan did good. He tried spicing up the final on Sunday. Props. He has the legs, but sometimes lacks the brain IMO.
e. Rabo was strong on Saturday, but they lack a real leader (Breschel maybe).

You could just copy/paste this next monday and it will fit almost perfectly on RVV and next monday again and it would fit almost perfectly on PR ;)

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
And if you add Dwars Nuyens and Thomas looked strong. Oh and in E3 Hushovd looked strong as well.

Really to bad that Breschel is injured. With him on board Rabobank would be dynamite.