• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

99th Grote Scheldeprijs - April 6th

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Terrible about EBH:(

Does anybody know what happened to Dominique Rollin? I see he was DNF and I'm hoping he's OK since he's been on such strong form and scheduled for P-R.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
They are recapping the crashes now and I don't see him involved.

TGAK had to compromise his sprint to dodge Farrar's head, so he might have done even better otherwise.

I guess there will be no TGAK-ACF babies!:D:eek:

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
Damn, Sjef De Wilde (Veranda Wellems) crashed and went over a fence.
Result: Severe concussion, a mild brain haemorrhage and two fractured vertebrae...
:(

Terrible news, poor guy.

sublimit said:
Cav showed that he can win without Renshaw or Goss again in a chaotic finish, I reckon he will take a lot from that.

The sky riders have great form at the moment though, but I'm not sure they were pulling too hard or somebody deliberately sat up and disrupted everything there.

was next to Stannard afterwards when Hayman came up - apparantly Ian didn't realise they had created a gap and didn't hear Hayman yelling for him to "go go go" - if you're refering to them coming off the front in the final lap...

euanli said:
Apparently EBH hit a tree. Ouch.

same tree that a couple of the amateurs hit earlier in the day too. poor course layout?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
doesn't matter how much i try, everytime i ear cavendish talk he doesn't look that much unlikable

and damn EBH is one unlucky guy. . .

p.s. i wonder how the podium party went this year

last time he won this race. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3_Yy4d8s9w&feature=fvwrel

If you check out the post-race press conference on the front page, Cav says that after falling on his *** last year he has never gone on a podium in cycling shoes.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Shows again the Scheldeprijs is only good for getting injuries

Agreed plus Cav is always going to be supermotivated for sentimental reasons

Too risky for small chance of win. So victim of its difficulty like 3 days de Panne

Total bummer for EBH :( Another P-R missed so another years experience is not there when he gets to a good age for winning.

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Winterfold said:
Too risky for small chance of win.

Totally. Can you imagine losing hard won fitness and your ride in PR because you got taken out in Scheldprijs? Damn. Part of the sport though, just one of the nastiest parts.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
hektoren said:
If you look at the finish from the heli-footage (about 1:40 into http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/MG_sportnieuws/MG_wielrennen/1.997866 ) you'll see TGAK was in 5th when he had to break and swerve right to avoid Farrar. Kristoff himself believe he would have secured a place on the podium sans Farrar falling.

I watched that a couple of times and it seems that he lost some places afterwards, he was 4th after the crash.

So you think it would have been Cav - Farrar - Kristoff then? Not counting Weyter Woulandt and Sutton-EBH. Not counting that McEwen passed him after the crash, Chicchi passed him and Van Dijk seemed to do a great sprint from 7th to 4th.

And Boonen couldn't ofc do anything on a course like this.

Conclusion
: Yeah, Kristoff could have gotten podium if
a) there still was a crash and
b) he was placed fourth but then it would have been because of the crash and my remark of "no real improvement" would have been correct.

EDIT: Hope you didn't use this quote for your answer which translate to "might have gotten to the podium" instead of "would have"

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Archibald said:
was next to Stannard afterwards when Hayman came up - apparantly Ian didn't realise they had created a gap and didn't hear Hayman yelling for him to "go go go" - if you're refering to them coming off the front in the final lap...

Yes, Geraint Thomas did something similar a couple of weeks ago when he burned Tony Martin off his wheel in the closing few Kilometres - and that takes some doing.

I hope Haymans wife holds on for a few more days. Sky need that rider :D I think Sutton will slot in for Hagen at P-R as he looks in decent form.

TRENDING THREADS