• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A psychological analysis of Alberto Contador's response

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
flicker said:
B. 69,
I do not know Alberto personally. I do think he doped in this tour and the past. I do think he is flawed.

You know him personally. He has not shown his personality to the general public yet i imagine. what the public see is a professional bike racer. B. 69

Right there I think you are wrong. Last year I saw Alberto gifting races to Valverde. That was a flaw by Alberto. Last years tour when he absolutely put everyones face in the dirt on the mountain stage in the tour. Personality flaw. Attacking Schleck when Schlecks chain dropped. Personality flaw. You-Tube appology, personality flaw. Tainted meat from Spain,personality flaw. Made his cattle raising in Spain look bad. Said his team (ASTANA)had meat receipt if they chose to come up with it(priceless).

What Albert has done is created bad blood with first the Shack now with ASTANA, now obviously with the doping control.

He was scrutinized for a reason. That reason to me is that he is burning bridges. Notice the damage control Alberto was doing with Andy during the tour. For the sport Alberto should have put Andys face in the dirt.

For your info I am a big Schleck fan also. I am very sorry that Contador doped and was caught. I am going out on a limb and pull a LeMond here and say "follow your conscience Alberto and come clean."

what you are showing is another kind of mental weakness, mixing up everything, ridiculous way of thinking

I loved gifts to Valverde at Dauphine, that's cycling too, I liked not wait at stupid chaingate, and I hated it conti-schleck kissing at the Tour, etc. Am I a weird?

common' Contador is very normal and humild person who is watched by million eyes and then everything he does is for scrutiny in good/bad stupid non-sense.

If you don't get this, the problem is yours...

Aguirre said:
I see lots of rule & law fanatics in this forum, would be good to know about their political orientation in order if thought & behaviour match

I'm a lib from Massachusetts and I hate dopers, because I'm a liberal I hate them all equally, its in my nature. I will go out on a limb and suggest you're theory linking this to political orientation is flawed. What you have proven is that the link is based entirely on the whom you choose to follow as a superfan. In your case its Pharmador, he is a stroke victim, Fuentes customer, clen junkie and a blood doper. As I have said before there are three reasons a teenager strokes, 1) drugs, 2) drugs, 3) drugs.

EDIT: I totally forgot he also had 8 times the normal level of plastic in his blood.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
I'm a lib from Massachusetts and I hate dopers, because I'm a liberal I hate them all equally, its in my nature. I will go out on a limb and suggest you're theory linking this to political orientation is flawed. What you have proven is that the link is based entirely on the whom you choose to follow as a superfan. In your case its Pharmador, he is a stroke victim, Fuentes customer, clen junkie and a blood doper. As I have said before there are three reasons a teenager strokes, 1) drugs, 2) drugs, 3) drugs.

You heard it here guys Gaius Julius Caesar was doping!

I wouldn't be so sure his theory is flawed if you're really a liberal. Go kick some poor people!

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Aguirre said:
what you are showing is another kind of mental weakness, mixing up everything, ridiculous way of thinking

I loved gifts to Valverde at Dauphine, that's cycling too, I liked not wait at stupid chaingate, and I hated it conti-schleck kissing at the Tour, etc. Am I a weird?

common' Contador is very normal and humild person who is watched by million eyes and then everything he does is for scrutiny in good/bad stupid non-sense.

If you don't get this, the problem is yours...

Sorry friend. In the sport of cycling nice guys always finish last.(Translation)

Contador is not a nice guy. That is OK. He is burning his bridges in cycling.

That is not OK for him or cycling. The classic"I will quit if convicted" I say good riddence to bad rubbish with that statement.

Roberto Duran saying" no mas" when he was being pummeled by sugar ray lenord who he is related to through marriage, that I understand.

Quitting because one is suspected of being a cheat and will have to attend a hearing(Contador). WEAK Character flaw Contador.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Who's ruining the sport?
a) People who try to enforce the rules
b) People who cheat

You chose (a), and I pity you.

edit: also, there's a positive for clenbuterol, a banned substance with no legal threshold. That's not rumour or opinion.

Listen, 50 picograms of clembuterol offer the same physical advantage as eating a bag of Twinkies.

Does WADA have a stubborn tendency to put stuff on Da List that overreaches the realm of "use of drug x to improve athletic performance"? Yes! 50 picograms don't improve shít. Hence there's no doping. Is this measle quantity indicative of anything? Well, just as much as you seeing Lance Armstrong going into a pharmacy or Cadel Evans talking to a doctor.

And I hate to burst your bubble but doping in cycling and most sports has been, is and will be a reality. This is not a dopers vs. non-dopers game. It's a bad busted vs. non-busted TV show. It's just as simple as that. Coppi doped. Merckx doped. Bahamontes doped.

I mean, they may not have been taking EPO or steroids, but al least one of them has admitted to have been administered narcotics when he won the TdF.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
JRTinMA said:

Of course, a liberal from Massachusetts!! Yeah baby!!

You're into making the world a better place, saving the whales, the trees and feeding poor black kids, as long as they live 5,000 miles away.

Tell me something Justiciero, how many black people live in your neighborhood?

I will even go further in my assertion, it is not only about political orientation, most of the liberals enforcing this struggle against doping in a similar way of fighting against terror, it is also about geographical limits, I mean, european traditional countries of cycling vs. the globalization, anglo-american way of seeing the sport and cycling, even it is also about old fans vs. newcomers...

As an left-wing european based in a region devoted to cycling, that has followed closely 30 seasons of cycling (I mean, all courses from Grand Tours, to classics, small races,) and also is a cyclosportif... I can't help you

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Aguirre said:
I will even go further in my assertion, it is not only about political orientation, most of the liberals enforcing this struggle against doping in a similar way of fighting against terror, it is also about geographical limits, I mean, european traditional countries of cycling vs. the globalization, anglo-american way of seeing the sport and cycling, even it is also about old fans vs. newcomers...

As an left-wing european based in a region devoted to cycling, that has followed closely 30 seasons of cycling (I mean, all courses from Grand Tours, to classics, small races,) and also is a cyclosportif... I can't help you

So I guess what you mean by that is your guy Alberto is a nice normal guy living in Pinto, is just your everyday normal working Spaniard...

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Aguirre said:
I will even go further in my assertion, it is not only about political orientation, most of the liberals enforcing this struggle against doping

Well, that's where you make a mistake, it's not only liberals at the forefront of the War on Doping, it's the establishment. I mean, to the regular (middle class) American there are obviously more important problems to worry about, like losing their jobs, crime, et cetera. It's the establishment that create these artificial concerns, like doping, Lindsey Lohan's drug problem, etc. And they do it because people are largely content playing along.

Doping in sports is the new fight against the usage of foul language in music which, consequently, ended up, after many millions that could've been put to better use, with the now infamous "Parental advisory, explicit lirics" sticker. It's amazing, people know more about A-Rod's sexual habits that the classes their kids are taking or how Big Business is inmersed in an outsourcing wave that will kill the American economy in a few decades.

in a similar way of fighting against terror

The fight against terror is largely a conservative (republican) phenomenom. Bush/Cheney/Da Hawks needed an open-ended war and twenty some odd idiots from Saudi Arabia (and other countries in the area) gave it to them.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Señor_Contador said:
Well, that's where you make a mistake, it's not only liberals at the forefront of the War on Doping, it's the establishment. I mean, to the regular (middle class) American there are obviously more important problems to worry about, like losing their jobs, crime, et cetera. It's the establishment that create these artificial concerns, like doping, Lindsey Lohan's drug problem, etc. And they do it because people are largely content playing along.

Doping in sports is the new fight against the usage of foul language in music which, consequently, ended up, after many millions that could've been put to better use, with the now infamous "Parental advisory, explicit lirics" sticker. It's amazing, people know more about A-Rod's sexual habits that the classes their kids are taking or how Big Business is inmersed in an outsourcing wave that will kill the American economy in a few decades.

The fight against terror is largely a conservative (republican) phenomenom. Bush/Cheney/Da Hawks needed an open-ended war and twenty some odd idiots from Saudi Arabia (and other countries in the area) gave it to them.

Sure, it could be all that. Or it could just be cheaters getting caught.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Aguirre said:
working class guy

I think the days of professional cyclists being working class/proletariat are long gone. No doubt, the average cyclist has the education of a bricklayer (and often times less intelligence), but the salary and lifestyle on the other hand...
These are not working class heroes.
Petit bourgeois.
Nouveau riche.

On topic: AC has taken a page out of all the other dopers who have been caught; deny, deny, deny is the modus operandi

Señor_Contador said:
Of course, a liberal from Massachusetts!! Yeah baby!!

You're into making the world a better place, saving the whales, the trees and feeding poor black kids, as long as they live 5,000 miles away.

Tell me something Justiciero, how many black people live in your neighborhood?

I don't debate bigots and this link to politics is stupid. You love Contador and you think he's clean because he's your guy. Whats so hard to understand about that, its simple. You may think Valverde got a raw deal as well. If LA was Spanish he would be clean in your mind to. I get it. Indurain won 5 clean and Conconi was just his doctor, you know turn your head and cough type stuff. In a way I'm jealous of your blind faith, in this country we like to tear our stars down to often, some deserve it and some don't.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
The UCI has said from the beginning that it was a tiny amount and most likely the result of contamination. I'd expect an impartial judge to say nothing of the sort until after the end of the whole process.

The UCI isn't an impartial judge under the WADA Code, so their opinion is irrelevant.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
Contador claiming that the UCI told him to keep schtum isn't perhaps the beginnings of a cover-up that, as another poster mentioned, could have worked but for the German press getting hold of it?

Dumbass,

The UCI is obligated to keep positive tests confidential under the rules. There is no cover-up whatsoever and what they told Contador was the CORRECT course of action until it was determined by the results committee that the positive test was valid and that they were moving forward with a case.

This is done in every doping case and Contador wasn't treated any differently.

Not sure why you think the German press getting knowledge of the positive somehow prevented this [non-existent] cover-up.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
The UCI must have been also permitted to help the rider who tested positive with expert advice.

Wait, that's not in the rules either.

What evidence do you have of this? Show me a link that shows this happened. Can you name the person at the UCI who did this?

I didn't think so.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
TexPat said:
On topic: AC has taken a page out of all the other dopers who have been caught; deny, deny, deny is the modus operandi

Why wouldn't he deny? The drug they found in his system is in miniscule amounts, he has a semi-plausible excuse (way better than the Jack Daniels or missing twin excuses) and the test that really damns him hasn't been approved yet--I'm sure his lawyers are assuring him that he has nothing to worry about. If this goes to court--which it probably will, one way or another--he's got some reasonably solid arguments in his corner.

And JRTinMA couldn't be righter: the link to politics is way stupid.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
The whole order of information being presented to the public is a little skewed too. How come it took weeks for anyone to mention that they had a receipt? How come it took weeks longer than usual to announce that there was a positive test?

What does Contador's camp delayed and inadequate response have to do with a cover-up by the UCI?

Contador isn't obligated to "explain" anything to the public, dumbass. Doping cases are suppose to be decided confidentially under the WADA Code. Just because the German media outed the positive, doesn't mean Contador is now obligated to "explain" his defense to you or anyone else.

In fact, the idea that you think the receipt even matters shows you really don't get it.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
The Tour finished in July yet it was 10 weeks to the announcement of Contador's positive. Contrast that with the Vuelta positives being announced 3 weeks after the samples were taken. What was the reason for the 7 week delay?

Anti-doping depends on transparency both for the riders and the fans. If this kind of fudging occurs it serves only to undermine the integrity of the sport. That the UCI could think that, in the wake of the Armstrong bribe revelations, they could just sweep a positive under the carpet beggars belief. How can anyone have confidence that the system is fair with debacles like this?

Doping does not depend on transparency. Under the WADA Code, doping cases are suppose to be adjudicated in a confidential manner until a disposition is known.

Not sure why you think doping cases are adjudicated in the public. Can you show me where in the UCI rules or the WADA Code it talks about transparency with respect to the public in a pending doping case?

I didn't think so.