• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A. Schleck and O'Grady thrown out of Vuelta

May 11, 2009
Visit site
According to Danish newspapers, Bjarne Riis has thrown A. Schleck and O'Grady out of the Vuelta. They have broken some internal rules, not related to doping. No further comments are available.

He will elaborate after todays stage.

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Maybe the cold air sorrounding the team will keep Fränk cold during the mountainstages so he can perform better than his overheating opponants :D

Going to be really interesting to hear what Bjarne has to say about it this evening. But Fränk must be ****ed at his babybrother for not keeping in line and helping him to a podium finish.

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
The Saxo boys are also known to like a bit of a drink during this race that none of them care about.

Hah! I would love to see Bjarne go on a press conference (or just an interview) saying that they got drunk and drew mustaches on the guys not changing to team lux :D I am easily amused...

theyoungest said:
Contract negotiations with riders for their new team on the rest day? Or excessive use of alcoholic beverages?

Riis runs a tight ship and any effort to lure current riders to the Lux team in the midst of the Vuelta would likely set him off. I've always found Andy Schleck to be way too smug, condescending and cocky for my tastes and in this transition period I wouldn't put it past him to be disrespectful of Riis' position on Andy's current team. I just find it odd that a rider can lose form as quickly as Andy seems to do or maybe he simply loses motivation and stops trying his best when it's not in his best interests.

I can't wait to hear Riis reveal the actual details.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bjarne seems to be losing control of his squad. I always thought he was a great leader and that his riders respected him and looked up to him, but since the middle of this season there seems to be dissent at every turn. The Schlecks rebelling and taking half of the team with them, Cancellara disgruntled, and even his protege Fuglsang complaining about having to ride for Contador.

I am starting to wonder whether the Schleck rebellion was triggered because within the team they already knew that Contador was coming to the squad in 2011.

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Well I'll give them one thing: the Saxo team sure knows how to make the headlines these last couple of months... Really interesting what Bjarnes reasons are... It's going to be a highly anticipated interview on Danish television, currently it's breaking news on here... :)

analo69 said:
According to Danish newspapers, Bjarne Riis has thrown A. Schleck and O'Grady out of the Vuelta. They have broken some internal rules, not related to doping. No further comments are available.

He will elaborate after todays stage.

I'm already disappointed this is not going to be clinic material - and mightily relieved at the same time!

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok, let me get this straight.

Riis wasn't with his team for this race.

Then he just decided to show up for a rest day only, just to hang around the riders and talk about some sh!t.

He comes -- and the first thing he does is sacking two riders?
________
Wendie 99

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
I am starting to wonder whether the Schleck rebellion was triggered because within the team they already knew that Contador was coming to the squad in 2011.

That seems unlikely, Bjarne hadn't made sponsor contracts and thus probably couldnt court contador seriusly. Also the luxenborg team adventure has been a long time in the making, I recall Kim talking about the first plans starting late 2009 early 2010, and I doubt they would get a sponsorship deal without some sort of consent from the Schlecks.
But yeah sadly Saxobank is a bit in shambles, I have always admired Riis's proffesionalism with regards to team manegement, and how the riders have always seemed to like being there. All this have changed somehow :(

Ney the Viking said:
That seems unlikely, Bjarne hadn't made sponsor contracts and thus probably couldnt court contador seriusly. Also the luxenborg team adventure has been a long time in the making, I recall Kim talking about the first plans starting late 2009 early 2010, and I doubt they would get a sponsorship deal without some sort of consent from the Schlecks.
But yeah sadly Saxobank is a bit in shambles, I have always admired Riis's proffesionalism with regards to team manegement, and how the riders have always seemed to like being there. All this have changed somehow :(

I don't see this as a reflection on Riis but on the economic climate and instability the team faced prior to his securing sponsorship. The riders had to look out for their own interests but they are still under contract until the season ends. If they can't maintain their professionalism because they are looking to next season instead honoring their current obligations that reflects badly on them, not Riis.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Well, rules are rules, but you have to feel that if Riis wasn't already having discipline problems within the team he wouldn't feel the need to expel two of his best domestiques from a race he was trying to win.

Miss Indo said:
Well I'll give them one thing: the Saxo team sure knows how to make the headlines these last couple of months... Really interesting what Bjarnes reasons are... It's going to be a highly anticipated interview on Danish television, currently it's breaking news on here... :)
Where are you?

Ferminal said:
Sounds like Stuey and Junior went out on the ****...

Surprised if FC stays with all that's going on.

lol Junior

Susan Westemeyer said:
Andy Schleck told us that it was because he and O'Grady had a drink after dinner last night.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/updated-andy-schleck-ogrady-removed-from-vuelta

Dudsn

How much is "1 drink"

Jamsque said:
Well, rules are rules, but you have to feel that if Riis wasn't already having discipline problems within the team he wouldn't feel the need to expel two of his best domestiques from a race he was trying to win.

Schleck is not much help whatsoever
Though this has been covered before, his performance does vary from best climber in the world, to amatreur crit racer. Given his performance at the vuelta so far, i cant see him being much help to anybody. He probably wont even be able to rejoin the peloton if he goes for bottle duty.

Susan Westemeyer said:
Andy Schleck told us that it was because he and O'Grady had a drink after dinner last night.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/updated-andy-schleck-ogrady-removed-from-vuelta

Dudsn

And if you believe that one, I've got a great real estate deal for you! These things are never as "simple" as that.

I'm sure he'd have done the same thing if Frank were better positioned and Andy in decent enough form to help him win, right? :rolleyes: That Andy is apparently not and is parting ways with Mr. Riis (with perhaps the latter contributing to the former), means that a drinking night out breaking the rules was a conscious f-off to the ship's captain. And mutiny is never rewarded. This smells of internal provocation and resentment.

TRENDING THREADS