• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A Throw of the Dice - film about Paris-Roubaix

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I didn't like it, can't really tell why but I'd expect something about his revalidation and how he coped with his shattered kneecap. but they tell a story about him and a 'paternoster' :confused:

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
The paternoster story is more mythical and "romantic" whereas maybe the story about his rehab would be a bit too medical? And it might have involved too many difficult questions about PEDs too. :)

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Companies like Cervelo have done a great job at using video to add to brand awareness so I was looking forward to Rapha's effort.

They completely failed. the result was unwatchable. It only reinforces the idea that Rapha is Flemish for poseur.

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
Race Radio said:
Companies like Cervelo have done a great job at using video to add to brand awareness so I was looking forward to Rapha's effort.

They completely failed. the result was unwatchable. It only reinforces the idea that Rapha is Flemish for poseur.

Think that's a bit harsh. True enough it's aimed at people who don't know much about cycling (i.e. Rapha's customer demographic) but it's a well-made film with a good story.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
rolfrae said:
The paternoster story is more mythical and "romantic" whereas maybe the story about his rehab would be a bit too medical? And it might have involved too many difficult questions about PEDs too. :)

I can understand why you say that, yet still even the paternoster story wasn't worked out all too well :(

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Well it was some quality film making but I didn't really buy into the story about fate and the paternoster. But I probably approached it as a guy who wanted to see some cool cycling footage so the plot didn't have much of a chance.

A

Anonymous

just downloaded it and watching it on the telly.. thought it was a nice peice of film.. enjoyed that.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Good stuff, but you'd think the producers of this would've pulled Johan aside and corrected him when he said De Vlaeminck won 5 right as they showed his 4 win placard in the showers. Cool piece though.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
all 3 films will be live from friday, consecutively and available for 24 hours according the Rapha site. Personally, I do find some of their marketing painfully contrived. PR is my equivalent of Superbowl Sunday but this was all a little up it's own backside for me. somebody mentioned Road to Roubaix - GREAT film, beautifully shot.

Only the trailer is up now. Nice looking, I'll give them that for sure. But somehow lacking. I didn't see the focus of it? The one thing that seemed to stick out is the way it seemed all modern and slick, which is sort of the opposite of Paris-Roubaix, no?

What was the full film like?