• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Adam Hansen

there was an interview a while ago where he mentioned that he prefers grand tours because it allows him to spend more time at home with his family as he does not have to travel around the world all year but is allowed to take longer breaks in between.

Outside of the 3 GTs he doesn't really race that much, generally Nats then TDU for himself, followed by P-N or Turkey, Giro, Romandie, TDF and Vuelta with an extra HC or .1 race for good measure. With Lotto being Belgian it gives him this freedom since they are usually so focused on the classics.

42x16ss said:
Outside of the 3 GTs he doesn't really race that much, generally Nats then TDU for himself, followed by P-N or Turkey, Giro, Romandie, TDF and Vuelta with an extra HC or .1 race for good measure. With Lotto being Belgian it gives him this freedom since they are usually so focused on the classics.

Yes, I was thinking its perhaps shows that Lotto don't have the depth in their squad to field fresher riders, then again Hansen does such a good job in the tours. I think he is pretty happy at Lotto.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Jancouver said:
smart for sure ... only one rider of his size that I know of that is riding 180mm cranks and is very aero and very efficient. And he makes his own shoes! :D

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro-bike-adam-hansens-ridley-helium-sl
He needs to, apparently his feet are a very unusual shape. Hansen is a very smart guy - speaks several languages, has a couple of computer science degrees and owns a few small technology companies. From all appearances he's one of the guys who's in it purely for the love of cycling.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
MellowJohnny said:
I think he changes his cleat position on his shoes and also has narrower handlebars.

Cleat position with large feet is a pain. Hard to get the cleat far enough back. Adam was smart to make his own shoes.....but narrow bars are only for the Pro's

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Cleat position with large feet is a pain. Hard to get the cleat far enough back. Adam was smart to make his own shoes.....but narrow bars are only for the Pro's

One thing I never understood is why Sidi and other major cycling shoe manufacturers are drilling the cleat holes so far forward, especially for anybody with larger feet.

... Bont shoes are pre-drilled almost OK for my needs but too stiff for longer rides so I use them just for crits

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Rossco8 said:
I
recall he said he found them "relaxing" .... it was an interesting read for sure!

lol

i think he just enjoys the scenery of the GTs

and also a regular at tour of turkey which is also quite scenic

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Jancouver said:
One thing I never understood is why Sidi and other major cycling shoe manufacturers are drilling the cleat holes so far forward, especially for anybody with larger feet.

... Bont shoes are pre-drilled almost OK for my needs but too stiff for longer rides so I use them just for crits
Yup, it is silly. Tyler Hamilton "Won" the Olympic TT with special Midfoot cleats. Makes so much sense.

Even for the average rider it makes sense. If you have long feet and short legs you are screwed

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I thought the reason for making his own shoes had to do with how his feet fused when he was young. This means he has a slightly protruding bone that rubs against the shoe causing discomfort.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Steve Hogg used to have a column on this site years ago that talked a lot about midfoot cleats. Claimed they made a lot of sense for many riders. I've used Sidis for more than 10 years and find them a really nice shoe, although I do shove the cleat back as far as it can go - I always have. Wouldn't mind being able to get an extra 5mm or so, like with SPD MTB shoes.

Rossco8 said:
I
recall he said he found them "relaxing" .... it was an interesting read for sure!

I thought that was Jens Voigt.
Maybe it's a new pro-rider trend; finding GT's "relaxing".

42x16ss said:
He needs to, apparently his feet are a very unusual shape. Hansen is a very smart guy - speaks several languages, has a couple of computer science degrees and owns a few small technology companies. From all appearances he's one of the guys who's in it purely for the love of cycling.

Don't most of these guys?
Though I do know about one language he - quite obviously - doesn't speak: Danish. Last year during the TdF he called it "Alien talk". Bit tall coming from someone living in the Czech Republic. :rolleyes:

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Yes, most pros do but for a white, Anglo Australian it's quite rare to speak anything other than English - even amongst some pros.

Hansen speaks Czech, Italian, Flemish, French and German quite fluently.

Correct, and little bit of English too :D

TRENDING THREADS