• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AFLD - Invasion of Privacy??

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Oldnell said:
This is a lie! The incident you are referring to is when a French TV crew followed the USPS team, about 2002, I believe, and retrieved some rubbish they discarded in a dumpster. The French media went ballistic with their exposé and the AFLD spent at least the next two months testing and retesting everything that was found. Guess what, no doping products or traces of doping products were found. Another damp squib but enough to feed the frenzy of conspiracy theorists and cycling bashers. As the late Dr. Goebbels said "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it".

No that was a Dutch TV crew. Channel 4 in France followed at a later date. You'd know about that if you'd read 'LA Confidential' or 'LA to Landis'. The French had the garbage they collected tested privately. Read the book and find out what happened. Or do what I think you will and go back to the reminiscing about 1930s Germany. They burnt books then. You could take a copy of those David Walsh books.

Oldnell said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
I have no problem with the search, and attempts by AFLD or WADA to discover who may be doping with what, and what new methods of doping are being used, which appears to be the initial motive here. Let's face it, our sport has a serious doping problem, and a reputation as being rife with doping.

I don't completely understand the reason for the press release though.[/QUOTE

I knew you and "Race Radio" would support this. The reason you don't understand the reason for the press release is that you are unable to accept the fact that Ispector Boudry is is a publicity seeking hack and the only consistent competence his organization has shown is their ability to leak confidential information to l'Equipe. You sure enjoy trashing cycling. I wonder if you actually own a bike.

Were you saying this when they vaught Vino, Ricco et al? Or is it just when Lance is tested that you get offended?

Oldnell said:
This is a lie! The incident you are referring to is when a French TV crew followed the USPS team, about 2002, I believe, and retrieved some rubbish they discarded in a dumpster. The French media went ballistic with their exposé and the AFLD spent at least the next two months testing and retesting everything that was found. Guess what, no doping products or traces of doping products were found. Another damp squib but enough to feed the frenzy of conspiracy theorists and cycling bashers. As the late Dr. Goebbels said "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it".

No it's not a lie. Your facts wrong again. There is a film, it was on France 3 TV during the 2000 Tour. USP Doctor Luis Del Moral and the team's chiropractor were followed and filmed. They drove for about an hour and dumped their bag at a dumpster. The bags contained 160 used syringes, blood soaked compresses and Actovegin.
The AFLD, as RR stated, didn't even exist.

fatandfast said:
With a 9 and a half month season drugs are the sport.

I am afraid that concept is dawning on more and more dilettantes such as myself and it acts like a barrier to growing the sport.

As soon as we grasp the enormity of applauding a superior doping regimen versus a superior athletic endeavor, we wander away looking for meaning, drama, entertainment and inspiration elsewhere.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Inspector Boudry recently called a "press conference" where he announced,
among other things, that they found the prescription drug Valpromide
while picking through the garbage from Team Hotels:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/afld-says-incongruous-products-found-during-2009-tour

Valpromide is a drug used to help treat "psychiatric disorders". This drug is
NOT banned by WADA for crying out loud. Why such a public announcement?

I don't know - does anyone else find it a bit DISTURBING that a Government
Agency is sifting through citizens trash and then calling "press conferences"
to discuss what they find?

All that said - who do you think is the NUTTER in the peloton??
There were actually quite a few riders that were acting kind of weird this year;(

The 'press conference' was not to talk about products found during the Tour. It was mentioned in the annual report that the AFLD give.

As for the use of Valpromide - it is used by epileptics and it is used to ensure stable plasma levels. Any product used for blood manipulation is banned in the WADA code.