• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AFLD is out at the TdF

Apparently, Bordry's criticism of Lance and the boys was too much for Paddy McQuaid so the UCI, without a hint of a conflict of interest of course, will administer all anti-doping at this year's TdF.

http://in.reuters.com/article/worldOfSport/idINIndia-45632320100123

An "invitation" to WADA to "scrutinize" the testing is pending...

A quick question to all you guys who subscribe to the theory that there are so few French positives due to the aggressive nature of testing by the FFC and AFLD: how does this jibe when the UCI and ASO can basically walk in and make their own decisions on anti-doping on French soil?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
AFLD have had their funding cut and are in no position to stage a full scale TdF operation. They are still, of course, fully entitled to test riders on their soil and I imagine will continue to do so. Besides, what makes WADA better bedfellows?

Look for the Astana blood transfusing scandal to rear its head again - 7 DNA profiles, huh? And AC sidelines in the team?

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Looks like another scandal free tour coming up in the new era of drug free cycling as presented by the UCI.

This. If the UCI doesn't want more doping related scandals in their most important race, keeping the AFLD out is the first step they'd have to make.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
It appears that McQuaid has learned something from Armstrong/Goebbels. The "Big Lie" strategy is in full effect.

The fact is the AFLD can test the riders any time, any where in France. WADA can as well....if the UCI does not like it then no cycling in the Olympics.

McQuaid continues to prove he is a idiot.

MacRoadie said:
Apparently, Bordry's criticism of Lance and the boys was too much for Paddy McQuaid so the UCI, without a hint of a conflict of interest of course, will administer all anti-doping at this year's TdF.

http://in.reuters.com/article/worldOfSport/idINIndia-45632320100123

An "invitation" to WADA to "scrutinize" the testing is pending...

A quick question to all you guys who subscribe to the theory that there are so few French positives due to the aggressive nature of testing by the FFC and AFLD: how does this jibe when the UCI and ASO can basically walk in and make their own decisions on anti-doping on French soil?

Pat McQuaid:
"The Tour de France is the biggest cycling event in the world and we want to preserve it"

translation:
We want to control the tour & avoid doping scandals at all cost
so there you have it: the "Anglo-Saxon" approach to cycling!!!

U C I IS F*CK*NG UP THE SPORT

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
It's Armstrongs last year at the Tour. Next year we will go back to catching the dopers. At least the help from Pat will not result in a Armstrong victory, unless LA is allowed to take a short cut.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
So since the UCI kicked the AFLD to the curb, what would others think of getting rid of a central governing body and returning authority to the national federations and race directors. I don't think that it would ever happen, but it would create a purer sport perhaps.

Now if the UCI keeps torpedoing its credibility, then it may lose the Olympics, in which case you really don't need a central governing entity, and the UCI will cease to have a reason for its existence.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The UCI was also in charge of dope testing at last year's TdF correct?

The AFLD are a very recent government formed group - a kneejerk political response
to the post-festina / anti-lance hysteria lol.
1999 Frozen PeePee. / ShowerGate / Preferential Treatment / GarbageGate
The AFLD is screwy. This latest news about the AFLD should be no suprise.
Well, maybe suprised it has survived as long as it has.

The UCI has been in charge of dope testing for a long time:

"the UCI made its first appeal to governments to face the challenge of doping in sport, not in the 90’s, not in the 80’s, but in 1967 in the Le Monde Cicliste cycling journal. And they have not stopped since. So regardless of your own opinion about doping in this sport, it is clear that pro cycling will continue to be at the forefront of the fight.

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=3039

Polish said:

Uh-huh. Like we can really trust information from the Daily Joke. It's owner recently questioned whether FLandis doped. Vaughn could watch a rider inject dope, and he would still be babbling on about how you cannot call a spade a spade because of someone's good name.

The UCI once again confirms that its dope testing is sham designed as a public relations campaign. The bio passport was not created to catch dopers; it was created to tell the public that doping is now impossible.

It appears from blood parameters that Armstrong transfused one unit of blood last Tour. Expect three or four units this year. Looks like happy days are here again. Contador had better get back in touch with Dr. Fuentes.

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
mtrejt said:
So since the UCI kicked the AFLD to the curb, what would others think of getting rid of a central governing body and returning authority to the national federations and race directors. I don't think that it would ever happen, but it would create a purer sport perhaps.

Now if the UCI keeps torpedoing its credibility, then it may lose the Olympics, in which case you really don't need a central governing entity, and the UCI will cease to have a reason for its existence.

A couple of points:
1)I don't think getting rid of the UCI would result in a less pure sport [well except for a couple of Federations(e.g.Spain & USA )]
2)The UCI has credibility?

4299870608_5c5cd937c6_m.jpg

AFLD is gone. What would you like me to do next, Master?

Hard not to be cynical when news like this is announced, complete with McQuaid's "I must protect our sport" statement.

Bruyneel will likely have someone full time making sure the coffee is warm for the UCI testers. Maybe ASO is providing the coffee makers as part of the service.

Interesting that for a certain rider the only testing will be done by an organisation to which he has knowingly "donated" a substantial amount of cash.

What a joke pro cycling has become.

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Meh, if some want to line their palmeres with 3rd.......maybe second placings then so be it, i don't think it matters he ain't gunna win.

One who is young doping will beat the old doper.......the key thing is they are both dopey!

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Good...

It's about damn time those clowns got run out now if someone would just shut them down that would be even better.

When they supposedly found Floyd positive their lab work was worse than untrained monkeys, we did better lab work in my junior high school science classes compared to the crap they railroaded Landis with.

During the testing of his B sample Floyd's expert witness, who helped design the Agilent testing machine, had to show the lab employees that the damn machine wasn't even set up correctly and still had shipping parts bolted to it. If I recall correctly (and if I don't someone will correct me I'm sure) the AFLD lab had a "success" rate about 40% higher than all the other WADA accredited labs at reporting testosterone positives. Logically all the other labs should be reporting the same general percentage of positives but no one seemed to want to look into that minor detail even after the lab was shown to be doing the testing with machine installed incorrectly but they railroaded Floyd just because they could knowing full well the system is stacked against the athletes. I'm sure the fact he was an American didn't help his cause with the French either.

Let's not forget that AFLD conveniently leaked details to the Le Quipe newspaper before some athletes, Floyd included, were even notified of their alleged positives. Oh and let's not forget the lab clearly labeled the samples of some French riders during last years Tour which is a major violation of the chain of custody.

So good riddance to AFLD if it's true and let's just go ahead and demolish the building for good measure, I'll be happy to swing the sledgehammer.

Here's a link to an outstanding blog about AFLD and the WADA system in general.

turnkey303 said:
It's about damn time those clowns got run out now if someone would just shut them down that would be even better.

When they supposedly found Floyd positive their lab work was worse than untrained monkeys, we did better lab work in my junior high school science classes compared to the crap they railroaded Landis with.

During the testing of his B sample Floyd's expert witness, who helped design the Agilent testing machine, had to show the lab employees that the damn machine wasn't even set up correctly and still had shipping parts bolted to it. If I recall correctly (and if I don't someone will correct me I'm sure) the AFLD lab had a "success" rate about 40% higher than all the other WADA accredited labs at reporting testosterone positives. Logically all the other labs should be reporting the same general percentage of positives but no one seemed to want to look into that minor detail even after the lab was shown to be doing the testing with machine installed incorrectly but they railroaded Floyd just because they could knowing full well the system is stacked against the athletes. I'm sure the fact he was an American didn't help his cause with the French either.

Let's not forget that AFLD conveniently leaked details to the Le Quipe newspaper before some athletes, Floyd included, were even notified of their alleged positives. Oh and let's not forget the lab clearly labeled the samples of some French riders during last years Tour which is a major violation of the chain of custody.

So good riddance to AFLD if it's true and let's just go ahead and demolish the building for good measure, I'll be happy to swing the sledgehammer.

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

It's a conspiracy!!1! ZOMG!

Turnkey:
It was the UCI who caught Floyd. The AFLD weren't it charge, in 2006.
Phonak leaked Floyd's positive, not L'Equipe.
In 2008, when the AFLD were in charge, no English speaking rider tested positive, just German, Italian and Spanish.

In your original post, you make it sound like you were present, in the lab, at the testing.
Did you witness the testing and are therefore able to compare it to your high school science classes?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
a small correction.

many use this phrase 'the uci is/will be in charge of testing' a bit loosely.

the uci will be in charge of the results management.

testing will still be done in several wada labs with the majority subcontracted to the french lab. afld's role in the last tdf was rather limited and amounted to providing a couple of dcos.

i am concerned that aso is so easily swayed.

turnkey303 said:

Here's a link to an outstanding blog about AFLD and the WADA system in general.

So how did the syntethic testosterone get into the samples?

Floyd went through the appeals process (twice), including the CAS, with Americans on the board, and was not found to have a case.

AFLD did not leak - phonak were notified, and they leaked.

Lance has also been quoted as praising that particular lab by the way, for their 'professionalism'.

A

Anonymous

WADA - UCI - Whereabouts

I have not seen any comment on WADA's change to "whereabouts" reporting. An article on CN on January 19 said,

"The revised WADA code went into effect at the start of the year, and includes important changes to the agency's whereabouts system. Athletes are no longer required to be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They must now specify a one hour time slot each day where they can be located for testing."

Please help me understand how this makes random testing possible, if the one to be tested designates the time the test can be done. One gets the impression that everyone in the anti-doping system are dumbing things down.

maybe this doesn't belong here but there were a number of ref to WADA...

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
brewerjeff said:
I have not seen any comment on WADA's change to "whereabouts" reporting. An article on CN on January 19 said,

"The revised WADA code went into effect at the start of the year, and includes important changes to the agency's whereabouts system. Athletes are no longer required to be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They must now specify a one hour time slot each day where they can be located for testing."

Please help me understand how this makes random testing possible, if the one to be tested designates the time the test can be done. One gets the impression that everyone in the anti-doping system are dumbing things down.

maybe this doesn't belong here but there were a number of ref to WADA...
this is a typical misunderstanding. not your fault.

the designated reported hour(s) don't refer to the 'testing period'. they refer to a period where an athlete says he'll be located and can be found. the testers can show up at a different time during the day a riders has 'slotted'.

i recall pereiro complained recently that they showed up at a different time he designated when he was in a restaurant with his friends. the sample was taken in the restaurants bathroom hours after the slotted time.

TRENDING THREADS