• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AFLD: No new cases of doping from 2008 Tour de France

iliveonnitro said:
For this to come from the AFLD, this is really refreshing.
It doesn't mean the riders weren't doping, but that they didn't trip a positive result. Either way, it's still refreshing.

I have to say, it is refreshing. Especially after all the recent positives, bad news and disputes.
It's only a pity Astana weren't at the 2008 Tour, to enjoy the same "clean" bill of health, stamp of approval.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Actually, they were retesting to refine the CERA test - so Ricco came up positive again and riders who had tested clean came up clean again. This was using a refined test on samples frozen for a year. They accomplished what they intended to do, whilst flagging up the fact that the UCI's procedures in 2009 had been sloppy to say the least. I'm frankly amazed that Flandis and Pharmstrong haven't been all over the chain of custody and sample conservation issues that Bordry has highlighted. Pays to go to the source and not rely on what the English language press interprets from a translation I always think.

A

Anonymous

what really pi55es me off is things like this...

"“The 17 retested controls were negative. It was not our goal to find anything.” said Bordry, according to German press agency dpa.
The AFLD did not release the names of the riders whose samples were tested."

So come on AFLD.. we are quick enough to hear when riders are dirty, for the sport to be tarnished, so when you have the names of 17 riders, that WHERE DEFINATELY NOT USING CERA in the tour, then tell us who they are.. lets give cycling a little bit of credibility back ffs...

i wonder why they wont...? maybe they are not so convinced how good their own test actually is...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Why does naming 17 riders who haven't failed the CERA test a) restore the credibility of the sport and b) call the test into question?

Wouldn't you be better off asking the UCI what they were doing mislabelling tests and storing samples inappropriately?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

"“The 17 retested controls were negative. It was not our goal to find anything.” said Bordry, according to German press agency dpa.

So come on AFLD.. we are quick enough to hear when riders are dirty, for the sport to be tarnished, so when you have the names of 17 riders, that WHERE DEFINATELY NOT USING CERA in the tour, then tell us who they are.. lets give cycling a little bit of credibility back ffs...

i wonder why they wont...? maybe they are not so convinced how good their own test actually is...

Well it was widely reported - either correctly or incorrectly - that the retests were done on 'suspicious' samples and from new information.

So while a rider may not have taken CERA - or an EPO product - they would still have to defend themselves against having 'suspicious' values.

dimspace said:

That would not be good for the riders in question Dim. It would throw their names out into the public with a taint of suspicion attached to them when they haven't tested positive for anything.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

WHERE NO DEFINATELY NOT USING CERA is a bit too far in your statement. All tests are designed to have few false positive so they catch only the big abuse.
Do you remember that Ricco was just 2 times positives despite having been tested 5 or more times !

What had said AFLD that tey were riders with suspicious blood values. To be not positive with CERA don't clear the suspicion, so it's better not to name them.

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Well it was widely reported - either correctly or incorrectly - that the retests were done on 'suspicious' samples and from new information.

So while a rider may not have taken CERA - or an EPO product - they would still have to defend themselves against having 'suspicious' values.

It shows that unusual values by no means equals doping.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
“The 17 retested controls were negative. It was not our goal to find anything.”

So why bother at all then?

The point of anti-doping is not to catch dopers - it is to have no dopers in the first place.

One of the biggest deterrents is that athletes know they will be tested properly and that their samples are stored for future testing when new procedures are introduced.

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
You do realise that there is no test for autologous transfusions?
So a suspicious or unusual value will be questioned.

At that time nobody knew there was a test for CERA. If they were going to do anything, CERA would be your bet. I suspect these other riders are clean but had unusual values.

dimspace said:

AFLD concluded that those 17 riders did not test positive for CERA-but they're concerned about the "other unknown substances" found in their samples, which cannot be determined as "enhancing" yet...

Sprocket01 said:
At that time nobody knew there was a test for CERA. If they were going to do anything, CERA would be your bet. I suspect these other riders are clean but had unusual values.

Hi, my name is Sprocket. I would much rather use a drug that a test might be detectable--especially after Armstron was proved to be a doper long after he used a drug that was undectable at the time he used it--instead of a technique that is just as good but undetectable. Why? Because I am a dumbass.

hfer07 said:
AFLD concluded that those 17 riders did not test positive for CERA-but they're concerned about the "other unknown substances" found in their samples, which cannot be determined as "enhancing" yet...

Which brings up the question of why they did not test for Dynepo or ACTH or whatever. Why limit the test to CERA?

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
Which brings up the question of why they did not test for Dynepo or ACTH or whatever. Why limit the test to CERA?

because the whole thing is BS....?

im getting kinda bored with the rumours, 10 riders, 15 riders, 40 riders, suspicious values, tests, retests, b samples, non positive results..

sometimes i think the AFLD just like reminding us that they exist....

a fair point on the suspicious values thing.. so instead of knowing 17 riders at least didnt do cera, leave us al to continue to speculate on who is doing what.... :/

can we not just get the bloke from lie to me to interview them all one by one... i know hes fictional but no more fictional than some other things in cycling at the moment...

A

Anonymous

blaxland said:
so from 2008 tdf all the tested riders where clean?.................wtf?....

apparently not, they just dont know what they where on... its some new undetectable drug.... :D

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
so from 2008 tdf all the tested riders where clean?.................wtf?....

Well except the 6 that were caught.......

I much prefer that the AFLD have applied retro testing on suspicious samples and have them turn out negative - as opposed to not retesting samples at all, like the UCI did when they refused the opportunity to retest the Giro 08 samples for CERA.

TRENDING THREADS