• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AFLD/WADA vs UCI testing

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
Is the AFLD request for WADA about money or the sport?

It's tough to call at this point. It's natural for an organization that has had some success to want to protect their turf and their reputation, especially if they feel they can do a job better than the people taking over. At the same time, politics are causing them to be something crazy like 4 million Euros short on their budget, so they're fighting for their existence. If they came up with positive tests during Paris-Nice, it might help their cause for the rest of the year.

I'll add a question strictly for entertainment purposes. If the AFLD did do some additional testing for the event, targeting specific riders, and if the OCLAESP coincidentally had an open investigation in search of evidence on those same riders, would a subpoena get them what they want? Or would that be unnecessary, because the police organization could approach the riders themselves?

Anyway, I trust the AFLD more than the UCI, especially this year, so I hope they get their funding and a chance to be involved.

A

Anonymous

karlboss said:
if i were a cynic, I might suggest the problem is the UCI knows who will be tested with the 95 tests, but not the other 15.

+1. Apparently AFLD testers don't like Bruyneel's choice of instant coffee.

theswordsman said:
It's tough to call at this point. It's natural for an organization that has had some success to want to protect their turf and their reputation, especially if they feel they can do a job better than the people taking over. At the same time, politics are causing them to be something crazy like 4 million Euros short on their budget, so they're fighting for their existence. If they came up with positive tests during Paris-Nice, it might help their cause for the rest of the year.

I'll add a question strictly for entertainment purposes. If the AFLD did do some additional testing for the event, targeting specific riders, and if the OCLAESP coincidentally had an open investigation in search of evidence on those same riders, would a subpoena get them what they want? Or would that be unnecessary, because the police organization could approach the riders themselves?

Anyway, I trust the AFLD more than the UCI, especially this year, so I hope they get their funding and a chance to be involved.

It occurs to me to wonder whether the AFLD's funding problems have any connection to the French President's apparent admiration for a certain Texan "bi.. rider"

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Pickers

Even if WADA rules against official testing by the AFLD, we can still expect to see Mr Bordry and the Gendarmes going through the hotel trash at Paris-Nice.

Do you think the oppulent Sky Bus has secret compartments built in for trash storage?

Polish said:
Even if WADA rules against official testing by the AFLD, we can still expect to see Mr Bordry and the Gendarmes going through the hotel trash at Paris-Nice.

Do you think the opulent Sky Bus has secret compartments built in for trash storage?

if they are as smart as they say they are, they have secret compartments and maybe an incinerator. bordry is a classic blowhard as well.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
if the matter of this testing was urgent, that is, connected in anyway with the ongoing criminal investigation of astana medical waste from the 2009 tour, strictly speaking i dont think the french need any wada permission.

this refers to both the afld and the investigating police unit.

as bruyneel personally clarified with anne gripper on 17 march 2009, uci/wada rules allow afld to test any rider on french soil. armstrong will confirm it. my guess is, the afld is just looking for a blanket authorization from wada to avoid much noise and to remain relevant.

and to make a better case for their involvement in testing during the 2010 tour.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
python said:
if the matter of this testing was urgent, that is, connected in anyway with the ongoing criminal investigation of astana medical waste from the 2009 tour, strictly speaking i dont think the french need any wada permission.

as bruyneel personally clarified with anne gripper on 17 march 2009,* uci/wada rules allow afld to test any rider on french soil. armstrong will confirm it. my guess is, the afld is just looking for a blanket authorization from wada to avoid much noise and to remain relevant.

and to make a better case for their involvement in testing during the 2010 tour.
wanted to clarify. it's a reference to showergate - afld's surprise testing of armstrong when he had bruyneel call the uci (while he took a shower) to verify the afld's authority to test him.

Excellent link there PouPou. Great to hear Wadsworth speak up, but when he says "100 percent", why does he focus his criticism mostly on the Russians, when it's such a statistic would include even members of his own team? I mean, even if that number is him rambling, would it not be naive to think that the problem doesn't trickle it's way to US skiers as well, even if they are cleaner? Still, big props for him at least speaking out so boldly, essentially breaking the XC skiing omerta. He's probably right in his speculations.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
wadsworth did not break any omerta in xc skiing. he repeated what everyone in xc- skiing knows about the known culprits who comprise the majority of positive tests. he did however whine a fair bit as the the vancouver games showed again - the americans scored marvelously in almost all sports...except the xc and biathlon competition. again...and again.

A

Anonymous

python said:

as bruyneel personally clarified with anne gripper on 17 march 2009, uci/wada rules allow afld to test any rider on french soil. armstrong will confirm it. my guess is, the afld is just looking for a blanket authorization from wada to avoid much noise and to remain relevant.and to make a better case for their involvement in testing during the 2010 tour.

Or to clarify any jurisdiction issues now. If Bruyneel seeks to argue jurisdiction when the testers arrive, that creates plenty of time for LA to "have a shower".

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
poupou said:
A good reading to understand why you cannot trust UCI or federations:
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...+country+skiing+coach+says/2519416/story.html

FIS is nothing like the UCI. Saltin and Damsgaard are no-nonsense guys who tell it like it is. They don't sugar coat the truth to protect the image of the sport. For example they hav said that:

- The EPO test just isn't good enough and micro-dosing is very difficult to detect.
- There are ~20 skiers with dodgy blood profiles.
- They can't imagine that skiers wont bring frozen RBC's to the olympics. It's too easy and they have no way of stopping it.
- The IOC carrying out thousands of tests at the olympics is useless and mostly for show. It would be wiser to have more OOC-tests in the months leading up to the olympics.

TRENDING THREADS