• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

After 2nd restday, Who will win this Giro? ('14)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win this Giro?

• Other/Vino

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Netserk said:
I did. No surprise he beats Evans here.

Either way, you can't ask the question now.

The voters voted when the circumstances were different and they had less data to base their decisions on. To ask them where he is gonna win it now just makes it all the more clear that you want to provoke. Because only an idiot would ask that question with a straight face at this moment.

Walkman said:
Either way, you can't ask the question now.

The voters voted when the circumstances were different and they had less data to base their decisions on. To ask them where he is gonna win it now just makes it all the more clear that you want to provoke. Because only an idiot would ask that question with a straight face at this moment.
Only an idiot would think Evans had any chance at any point.

Vino attacks everyone said:
By looking at this poll, the only thing that is certain is that Safebet and me are gonna be best freinds :D

I didn't need this poll to know that :)

There's serious potential for an epic third week here. Uber tough parcours, massive GC gaps, Quintana outside the top5 and a plethora of pure climbers to light up the climbs.

Now it's up to the riders.

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Having in mind that the trend of racing in recent years is very conservative, I don't expect long distance attacks. IMO everything will come down to last couple of kilometers of the summit finishes and Zoncolan, where riders will rather look to exploit opponent's weaknesses and steadily climb up the GC than to try their own luck. Also, the uphill time trial works in favor of defensive racing, I think.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
trifun said:
Having in mind that the trend of racing in recent years is very conservative, I don't expect long distance attacks. IMO everything will come down to last couple of kilometers of the summit finishes and Zoncolan, where riders will rather look to exploit opponent's weaknesses and steadily climb up the GC than to try their own luck. Also, the uphill time trial works in favor of defensive racing, I think.

You can't hide on climbs like the Zoncolan. The best climbers will automatically shed the GC-pretenders.

Akuryo said:
I was one of the 20 guys who voted for Uran. Seems we are a big step closer. Did not expect him to get the lead so soon though.

Yep. I thought Uran might take the lead today but not in such crushing fashion. I still consider it to be early days, though. Boatloads of time could be lost in the stages that are left. I do have to say that's it's looking fairly good for my favorite Colombian rider. :)

F**k

I was hoping Evans would win but now that seems shot. He can still podium though :)

Just hoping that the mountain stages are raced well now :)- they would have been raced harder if Evans was still in the lead I think.

Uran looks very strong but I think Majka will now take it- he looks to be flying, has a strong team, I want him to win and since he's barely raced this year he should ace the 3rd week.

The favorites 10 days before the end:

1. Uran: Great time trial, strong team, big lead. The only question is how strong he is in the tough mountain stages. In the Tour de Romandie he was dropped in the toughest mountain stage. It's hard to say whether he was deliberatley saving himself or just coudn't follow. His climbing skills haven't really been tested yet in this Giro.

2. Quintana: More than three minutes behind and very passive in the mountain stages thus far. If he's in top shape he can regain time in the tough mountain stages. I think he should start this weekend. If he can't drop Uran this weekend it will be hard to take more than three minutes back.

3. Evans: I don't expect him to attack, but he might still win if Uran has a bad day. Evans might drop out of the top 5, but it's too early to write him off.

4. Pozzovivo: He's the only one who took time back in a mountain stage without relying on crashes from others. However his opponents didn't really consider him a danger yet when he attacked. And more than two minutes is a lot of time to regain. Last year he was only 10 th in the Giro.

5. Majka: Inconspicuous but always there. A podium place might already satisfy him. He might win if Uran and Evans both get a bad day.

Sticking with my prediction of the doctor! He needs to be aggressive in the mountains and will need Evans (very possible) and Uran (not as possible) to blow up on at least 1 stage to win.

Hopefully Nairo can find some form as he knows he must go big to force chunks of time back.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
Cadel Evans
auscyclefan94, auto de fé, Bavarianrider, Better Call Saul, BigMac, burgyv, chiocciolis_calves, christopherrowe, Cimber, Cookster15, darwin553 , deboat, Dedelou, dlwssonic, greenedge, hfer07, howardyou, hughmoore, Jancouver, King Boonen, Lukacek, Marcus135, maxmartin, Moviefan1203, mr. tibbs, msjett, Nastyy, Njbb1995, Nuash65, observer, Old&slow, Oltean_RO, pattycake88, rainman, RichieTheBest, RustyLL, Samson777, senatorrick, Shardi, The Eggman, thequestionmark, Tigerion, tinga1, Trev_S, UlleGigo, Wallace, yetiyeti, Yingge

But I wanted my vote to remain anonymous! :p