• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

After Spartacus...?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Who is the best TTer in the pro tour?

If it's short and hilly... Alberto?

Longer and flatter... Larsson, Wiggins, Levi or maybe Millar with his recent good form? or can Alberto match these guys?

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
I would have to say it is probably Contador. Scary thought.

You are right though Rabon is a damn fine time triallist in relation to his strength in other disciplines.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i like rogers too. he is on form this year.

there is a whole group of fine tters out there. id feel confident to say pinotti is among the best natural (whatever than means) riders. vino is a beast in longer flatter events when on form. i still think evans could kill in any itt if he worked on it exclusively.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
He hasn't been the same for last 2 years(due to sickness=)but i think M.Rogers 3xworld TT champion stands for something?

I refuse to believe that in '03 he was not on similar stuff to Millar.

Big GMaC said:

Well lucky where not talking about doping though???And talking about who is secont best to Spartacus in an Individual TimeTrial?Why does everything have to be about drugs(doping)Rogers is an excellent Time Trialer with or without Peds......Cmon Big Gmac?

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
Well lucky where not talking about doping though???And talking about who is secont best to Spartacus in an Individual TimeTrial?Why does everything have to be about drugs(doping)Rogers is an excellent Time Trialer with or without Peds......Cmon Big Gmac?

Yeah, my bad.

I mean, going by the Tour it would have to be Contador, considering he was 2nd and beat him. Larsson is solid, but only when he exclusivly trains for the TT as evidenced by middling places then 2nd at Worlds. Tony Martin would also be a possible shout, afterall he was 3rd this year at the Worlds. But as said above it reall depends on the parcours etc.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Big GMaC said:

I like the dodger, but why single out '03? He hasn't been the same since crashing out of the Tour as leader on the road, the year Puerto and Freiburg went down...

dsut4392 said:
I like the dodger, but why single out '03? He hasn't been the same since crashing out of the Tour as leader on the road, the year Puerto and Freiburg went down...

Exactly so possibly he has been clean but remember he is Australian with very strong Italian ties.

Zabeskie is an American who has had two o rso good rides in his life!! How dodgy is that!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
timmers said:
Exactly so possibly he has been clean but remember he is Australian with very strong Italian ties.

Zabeskie is an American who has had two o rso good rides in his life!! How dodgy is that!

To be fair, Zabriskie made a name for himself by winning a Giro TT against a field lacking in time triallists and a Tour stage where he benefitted from a massive change in the wind.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
To be fair, Zabriskie made a name for himself by winning a Giro TT against a field lacking in time triallists and a Tour stage where he benefitted from a massive change in the wind.

Basso won a TT FFS.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I suppose it would be more of a Clinic issue on how Basso when from race lead, losing so much time on one stage, and then bounced back to win two stages.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I suppose it would be more of a Clinic issue on how Basso when from race lead, losing so much time on one stage, and then bounced back to win two stages.

I don't agree, in this particular case. I do think his peak performance would be a case for the clinic, but his performances on the Stelvio and the day before were because of a stomach issue.

He stopped on the side of the road to vomit a couple of times and couldn't eat or drink.

issoisso said:
All-round: Leipheimer

IMO too inconsistant. But then again I'm still bitter about him losing over 6 minutes in the first TT of the 06 Tour (I picked him to win that year)

I love DZ, my favourite rider, and while he has dominated the U.S. TT championships and has one 2 GT TT's (essentially 3 since his Vuelta stage win was a long solo breakaway), with podium finishes at worlds, but NO.

Best I can come up with is Larsson with his silver to Cancellara's dominating performances in the Olympics and Worlds.

After that I guess Contador.

Menchov is pretty solid and I'd have Levi followed by Evan's just below him.

Millar is too inconsistant. Wigan isn't as good at TT's as pursuing.

Maybe in a few years Martin will be the heir to Cancellara's throne?

El Oso said:
IMO too inconsistant. But then again I'm still bitter about him losing over 6 minutes in the first TT of the 06 Tour (I picked him to win that year)

I love DZ, my favourite rider, and while he has dominated the U.S. TT championships and has one 2 GT TT's (essentially 3 since his Vuelta stage win was a long solo breakaway), with podium finishes at worlds, but NO.

Best I can come up with is Larsson with his silver to Cancellara's dominating performances in the Olympics and Worlds.

After that I guess Contador.

Menchov is pretty solid and I'd have Levi followed by Evan's just below him.

Millar is too inconsistant. Wigan isn't as good at TT's as pursuing.

Maybe in a few years Martin will be the heir to Cancellara's throne?
If Contador, Menchov, Leipheimer, Millar etc. would do the same as Larsson--that is: only going full gas in the TTs and taking it easy for the rest of the season--they'd more than equalled his track record.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Just a thought, but are there any consistent TTers?
It appears to me that none of them reach top results in the TT throughout the season...

TRENDING THREADS