After Spartacus...?

Mar 31, 2010
1
0
0
Who is the best TTer in the pro tour?

If it's short and hilly... Alberto?

Longer and flatter... Larsson, Wiggins, Levi or maybe Millar with his recent good form? or can Alberto match these guys?
 
Apr 29, 2009
380
0
0
I would have to say it is probably Contador. Scary thought.

You are right though Rabon is a damn fine time triallist in relation to his strength in other disciplines.
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
0
0
i like rogers too. he is on form this year.

there is a whole group of fine tters out there. id feel confident to say pinotti is among the best natural (whatever than means) riders. vino is a beast in longer flatter events when on form. i still think evans could kill in any itt if he worked on it exclusively.
 
Nov 24, 2009
1,602
0
0
blaxland said:
He hasn't been the same for last 2 years(due to sickness=)but i think M.Rogers 3xworld TT champion stands for something?
I refuse to believe that in '03 he was not on similar stuff to Millar.
 
Big GMaC said:
I refuse to believe that in '03 he was not on similar stuff to Millar.
Well lucky where not talking about doping though???And talking about who is secont best to Spartacus in an Individual TimeTrial?Why does everything have to be about drugs(doping)Rogers is an excellent Time Trialer with or without Peds......Cmon Big Gmac?
 
Nov 24, 2009
1,602
0
0
blaxland said:
Well lucky where not talking about doping though???And talking about who is secont best to Spartacus in an Individual TimeTrial?Why does everything have to be about drugs(doping)Rogers is an excellent Time Trialer with or without Peds......Cmon Big Gmac?
Yeah, my bad.

I mean, going by the Tour it would have to be Contador, considering he was 2nd and beat him. Larsson is solid, but only when he exclusivly trains for the TT as evidenced by middling places then 2nd at Worlds. Tony Martin would also be a possible shout, afterall he was 3rd this year at the Worlds. But as said above it reall depends on the parcours etc.
 
Jun 10, 2009
606
0
0
Big GMaC said:
I refuse to believe that in '03 he was not on similar stuff to Millar.
I like the dodger, but why single out '03? He hasn't been the same since crashing out of the Tour as leader on the road, the year Puerto and Freiburg went down...
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
karlboss said:
Noone for Menchov, he won the toughest TT last year.
Along with Contador and Leipheimer, I think he's the strongest allround TT-er. But Menchov is a bit inconsistent, whereas the other two can always be counted upon to do a good TT, even if the form seems to be slightly off.
 
Jan 8, 2010
51
0
0
I think we're forgetting someone here. Just two weeks before last years WC, Zabriskie won by 30sec on Larson in a 30k ITT.
 
Sep 20, 2009
263
0
9,030
dsut4392 said:
I like the dodger, but why single out '03? He hasn't been the same since crashing out of the Tour as leader on the road, the year Puerto and Freiburg went down...
Exactly so possibly he has been clean but remember he is Australian with very strong Italian ties.

Zabeskie is an American who has had two o rso good rides in his life!! How dodgy is that!
 
Mar 18, 2009
4,186
0
0
timmers said:
Exactly so possibly he has been clean but remember he is Australian with very strong Italian ties.

Zabeskie is an American who has had two o rso good rides in his life!! How dodgy is that!
To be fair, Zabriskie made a name for himself by winning a Giro TT against a field lacking in time triallists and a Tour stage where he benefitted from a massive change in the wind.
 
May 6, 2009
8,524
1
0
issoisso said:
To be fair, Zabriskie made a name for himself by winning a Giro TT against a field lacking in time triallists and a Tour stage where he benefitted from a massive change in the wind.
Basso won a TT FFS.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Credive said:
I think we're forgetting someone here. Just two weeks before last years WC, Zabriskie won by 30sec on Larson in a 30k ITT.
Yes, Zabriskie is definitely the world's best time trialist after Cancellara :confused:
 
May 6, 2009
8,524
1
0
I suppose it would be more of a Clinic issue on how Basso when from race lead, losing so much time on one stage, and then bounced back to win two stages.
 
Mar 18, 2009
4,186
0
0
craig1985 said:
I suppose it would be more of a Clinic issue on how Basso when from race lead, losing so much time on one stage, and then bounced back to win two stages.
I don't agree, in this particular case. I do think his peak performance would be a case for the clinic, but his performances on the Stelvio and the day before were because of a stomach issue.

He stopped on the side of the road to vomit a couple of times and couldn't eat or drink.
 
Apr 17, 2009
402
0
9,280
issoisso said:
All-round: Leipheimer
IMO too inconsistant. But then again I'm still bitter about him losing over 6 minutes in the first TT of the 06 Tour (I picked him to win that year)

I love DZ, my favourite rider, and while he has dominated the U.S. TT championships and has one 2 GT TT's (essentially 3 since his Vuelta stage win was a long solo breakaway), with podium finishes at worlds, but NO.

Best I can come up with is Larsson with his silver to Cancellara's dominating performances in the Olympics and Worlds.

After that I guess Contador.

Menchov is pretty solid and I'd have Levi followed by Evan's just below him.

Millar is too inconsistant. Wigan isn't as good at TT's as pursuing.

Maybe in a few years Martin will be the heir to Cancellara's throne?
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
El Oso said:
IMO too inconsistant. But then again I'm still bitter about him losing over 6 minutes in the first TT of the 06 Tour (I picked him to win that year)

I love DZ, my favourite rider, and while he has dominated the U.S. TT championships and has one 2 GT TT's (essentially 3 since his Vuelta stage win was a long solo breakaway), with podium finishes at worlds, but NO.

Best I can come up with is Larsson with his silver to Cancellara's dominating performances in the Olympics and Worlds.

After that I guess Contador.

Menchov is pretty solid and I'd have Levi followed by Evan's just below him.

Millar is too inconsistant. Wigan isn't as good at TT's as pursuing.

Maybe in a few years Martin will be the heir to Cancellara's throne?
If Contador, Menchov, Leipheimer, Millar etc. would do the same as Larsson--that is: only going full gas in the TTs and taking it easy for the rest of the season--they'd more than equalled his track record.
 
Mar 10, 2009
130
0
0
Just a thought, but are there any consistent TTers?
It appears to me that none of them reach top results in the TT throughout the season...
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY