• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AICAR, Science of Sport, and the birth of Wiggins' Lance Love

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
?

Beech Mtn said:
That said, the reminder about AICAR being in the Astana waste from the TdF was good to bring up again.

but was it?.......................anyone have link to fact ........i can only find rumour

would there be anu logic in having AICAR at the tour..........surely it's something for preparation?

without foundation the fragile house of cards soon tumbles

Mark L

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
I applaud the effort to look for connections, and I think you've certainly made a case that SIS are connected to both the Johan outfit, Riis group, and the British guys, but I'm not yet convinced of the connection between SIS and AICAR. Every team has a sports nutrition/recovery drink/energy gels/etc supplier.

That said, the reminder about AICAR being in the Astana waste from the TdF was good to bring up again.

As for Wiggins/Sky - the connections between Lance and the Sky setup, LA+Wiggo, LA+Cav have always seemed intriguing. But nobody really ever has looked too closely at a potential LA advisory role in the initial setup of Team Sky. There have been a few hints, but nothing substantial, so don't know how much of an influence LA had or not
very fair point.
clearly there's a heavy degree of speculation from my part wrt AICAR.
Perhaps should not have included it in the thread title.

What I find curious in any case is how this Slater guy, 'merely' supplying team GB with energy bars, turns into Brad's best friend and ends up running his charity.
(the charity itself being yet a whole different story. Sounds like a PR shield to me, or some tax evasion scheme.)
Meanwhile, you don't ever, EVER, hear Brailsford talk about Slater, even though Slater seems to have been a pretty prominent personality within the ranks of Team GB especially in the early years.

Slater is either less important than I make him out to be, or he's doing things behind the scenes that Sky is eager not to draw too much attention to.

sniper said:
very fair point.
clearly there's a heavy degree of speculation from my part wrt AICAR.
Perhaps should not have included it in the thread title.

What I find curious in any case is how this Slater guy, 'merely' supplying team GB with energy bars, turns into Brad's best friend and ends up running his charity.
(the charity itself being yet a whole different story. Sounds like a PR shield to me, or some tax evasion scheme.)
Meanwhile, you don't ever, EVER, hear Brailsford talk about Slater, even though Slater seems to have been a pretty prominent personality within the ranks of Team GB especially in the early years.

Slater is either less important than I make him out to be, or he's doing things behind the scenes that Sky is eager not to draw too much attention to.

Brad will have known him one way or another for a fair while. He now lives close by, well relatively close by so it isn't at all strange that they are mates or that he would trust him to help with his foundation.

Dave B won't talk about him because GB and Skys success is down to Dave B alone and no one or nothing else.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
bobbins said:
Brad will have known him one way or another for a fair while. He now lives close by, well relatively close by so it isn't at all strange that they are mates or that he would trust him to help with his foundation.
cheers.
Dave B won't talk about him because GB and Skys success is down to Dave B alone and no one or nothing else.
Well, possibly, but the Sky-PR machine have also given plenty of credits to people like Kerrison, Nigel Mitchell, Yates, and some others.
Meanwhile Slater/SiS are never mentioned anywhere in the Sky-celebrating mainstream press (Guardian/Telegraph/ST), inspite of Sky constantly bragging about the pivotal role of nutrition and marginal gains through nutrition.

Meanwhile, for several years, throughout Lance's comeback, and including the Contador 2010 positive, SiS have been completely in bed with Bruyneel and Riis, inspite of Slater taking a public antidoping stance in 2008 (see one of the previous links). So much for zero-tolerance.

So Slater/SiS: Saxo/CSC, Astana, Trek Leopard, Team GB/Sky, and Team Rabobank (Belkin in 2014).
Add GB Rowing, who won 9 medals (4 golds) in 2012, a record medal haul.
impressive list of customers.

http://www.blackburncitizen.co.uk/news/4298750.display/
2009: Science in Sport, based at Brockhall Village in the Ribble Valley and Altham in Hyndburn, have signed deals to supply energy and recovery products to Team Astana, Rabobank and Saxo Bank.

Sky used CNP products and Gatorade drinks. Around the time of the Sky team formation, Slater sold SIS. Slater has just started another company. Secret pro drink stuff or something similar.

The Sky marginal gains PR machine is out of control. Too many morons around like those clowns at Sky sports who believe everything from the team and often **** things up enough for rumour and incorrect details to be recorded as fact.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
bobbins said:
Sky used CNP products and Gatorade drinks. Around the time of the Sky team formation, Slater sold SIS. Slater has just started another company. Secret pro drink stuff or something similar.

The Sky marginal gains PR machine is out of control. Too many morons around like those clowns at Sky sports who believe everything from the team and often **** things up enough for rumour and incorrect details to be recorded as fact.

Sky no longer use Gatorade but BC do.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
British cyclist Mark Cavendish, the 2011 world road race champion, has taken a stake in Aim-listed sports nutrition company Science in Sport (SiS).

Cavendish has been appointed as a sports consultant to the Windsor-based group and, as part of his consultancy fee, will receive 134,250 shares in the company. At today's share price of 75?p, the holding would be worth about ?101,000.

The cyclist, who has won 25 stages of the Tour de France and is known as the Manx Missile, will begin his three-year consultancy role in January. He said: "Using nutrition products to control energy and hydration quickly and accurately is essential for success in competitive cycling and one of the cornerstones of my performance.

"I've used SiS products for many years and am really looking forward to working with the nutritionists at SiS to develop new products targeted at endurance sport."

The company floated on the London Stock Exchange's junior market last month, and its shares have risen 35pc since the initial public offering.

SiS was spun out of nutritional additives group Provexis and its products, which are popular among cyclists, were also used by athletes competing in the London Olympic Games.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...s-stake-in-Science-in-Sport.html?mobile=basic

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
cheers.

Well, possibly, but the Sky-PR machine have also given plenty of credits to people like Kerrison, Nigel Mitchell, Yates, and some others.
Meanwhile Slater/SiS are never mentioned anywhere in the Sky-celebrating mainstream press (Guardian/Telegraph/ST), inspite of Sky constantly bragging about the pivotal role of nutrition and marginal gains through nutrition.

Meanwhile, for several years, throughout Lance's comeback, and including the Contador 2010 positive, SiS have been completely in bed with Bruyneel and Riis, inspite of Slater taking a public antidoping stance in 2008 (see one of the previous links). So much for zero-tolerance.

So Slater/SiS: Saxo/CSC, Astana, Trek Leopard, Team GB/Sky, and Team Rabobank (Belkin in 2014).

have we found another Motoman?

Is Cound a Motowoman? Who was Wigans Motoman?

you gotta have a Motoman.First rule of success in Tour.

1. Have Motoman
2. Make sure Motoman rides on French plates, and NOT Edita Rumsas plates.
= success.

+ Aicar+ lipotropin+ GW501516

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Roude Leiw said:
I thougt nothing of the kind was needed for the clinic going ballistic.....
the term is full ret@rd. I am not sure if you need to avoid the swear filter for full ret ard full genius lets check it out

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
the term is full ret@rd. I am not sure if you need to avoid the swear filter for full ret ard full genius lets check it out
no, no swear filter for full genius.it is so mellifluous. full genius

the double negative was a pleonasm, for affect. not double negative = one positive.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Well,this is sniper trying to snipe something or someone...and he is not very good at shooting from the looks of it :D
:D

but let's be real, this guy is dodgy as ****.
Travels to tenerife in2009 to hang out with astana.
mentions Albert Contador and Bradley wiggins as his favorite athletes. Wiggins not ****ed off that his best friend mentions him in one breath with a convicted doper?
Fuels four of the most well known doping teams, Rabobank, csc, astana, trek, team GB.
What a list.
i, d be less suspicious if he had at least a few french riders among his customers.
but no, he's all over Alberto, Brunel, riis and Wiggins.
Tenerife, Rabobank, sky.

p.s. lol, I have this autocorrect feature on my tablet, when I type Julich it is turned into juice

sniper said:
cheers.

Your argument is very strong, but allow me to offer a minor correction.

East Germany won 9 Gold in 1976, and 14 medals overall out of 14 rowing events in the Montreal games. GB rowing in 2012 was unusual and even exceptional. They were not close to the East German mark, however, with less than half the number of gold medals and well short of the medal per event result.

Dave.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
cheers.

love the quote from Bruyneel,

Johan Bruyneel, eight-time winning sports director of the Tour de France and general manager for Team Astana, said: ?Without proper energy, even the world?s best rider will perform at sub-par levels.

?Nutrition is often overlooked and that is the main reason we partnered with SiS."

Nutrition is never overlooked and has not been for decades!! More BS to cover the doping!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Nutrition is never overlooked and has not been for decades!! More BS to cover the doping!
exactly.

I don't believe for a second this Slater guy discovered some magic candybar that makes you loose weight and go faster.
So why did all those high profile doper teams turn to him...in 2009?

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
sniper said:
exactly.

I don't believe for a second this Slater guy discovered some magic candybar that makes you loose weight and go faster.

there could only be a couple of reasons. One you've mentioned...the other of course being money. If Slater was backed by VC money with plans of stock exchange listing, then he could offer product cheap or enhance relations with small percentage ownership or options.

Occam's razor suggests following the money is simpler than adding drugs to the mix. Not that your ideas are too far-fetched for those who know Motoman, just that lower-hanging fruits are present.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
So Slater was in all likelihood getting his name tied to as many entities as possible to pad the prospective value of an IPO or some such thing. Have I just speculated about speculation about speculation? :eek:

sniper said:
Benotti69 said:

...Nutrition is often overlooked and that is the main reason we partnered with SiS."

exactly.

Hilarious! :D

Has anyone told Johann about feed zones?

Dave.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
TailWindHome said:
Sometimes this forum reminds me of the The Aristocrats

GI4gKDg.jpg

Ohh! you said crats -not cats :p

TRENDING THREADS