• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1000 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The group still had 30 guys left i think and contador reduced it to 3 in one attack.

Easy going stage, rather easy climb and he does that with 1 attack.

And i think Aru will think twice before doing an attack saterday now.

Apr 26, 2010
be.net
rKGqAbs.jpg

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:
The group still had 30 guys left i think and contador reduced it to 3 in one attack.

He'll still try. Even though he's supposedly improved his TT leaps and bounds, he cannot just hang on and wait for the TT like Porte can. If he wins the Giro, it will be because he gains time in the mountains. He needs to use the superiority of his team wisely, it doesn't seem like he'll be able to drop them mano a mano

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Contador not at his peak, yet causing mayhem already with that devastating acceleration. Aru was dropped if Porte wasn't there to rescue him. The italian definetely looked the weakest but Porte couldn't make any difference as well and he's not gonna improve towards week 3.

Saturday's climb looks like Verbier, 7.5 % gradient consistent. It should be hard enough for Contador.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I am a big Bertie fan and I am not as convinced as some of you. IMO Bertie did not look that at ease. I think a top form Bertie would have made that attack stick. I do still think he his strong enough to win but for me he does not look anywhere near as sharp as he did for most of last season.
I hope I am wrong and like Hitch said it could have been a tactical move. He also could have the Tour in the back of his mind and not thinking about reaching top top form until July. I hope so.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

SeriousSam said:
Miburo said:

He'll still try. Even though he's supposedly improved his TT leaps and bounds, he cannot just hang on and wait for the TT like Porte can. If he wins the Giro, it will be because he gains time in the mountains. He needs to use the superiority of his team wisely, it doesn't seem like he'll be able to drop them mano a mano

Time to put you on ignore. Or you're a troll or you've no clue what you're talking about.

Concluding that on stage 5, on an easy climb :eek:

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
I am a big Bertie fan and I am not as convinced as some of you. IMO Bertie did not look that at ease. I think a top form Bertie would have made that attack stick. I do still think he his strong enough to win but for me he does not look anywhere near as sharp as he did for most of last season.
I hope I am wrong and like Hitch said it could have been a tactical move. He also could have the Tour in the back of his mind and not thinking about reaching top top form until July. I hope so.

Eh, fortunately he's not at his best yet, he has the Tour after the Giro, don't forget. He said before the Giro, he is below the level he was last year before the Tour.

Also another factor is the gradient which definetely wasn't steep enough. But I can tell you that attack was a sustained one, I'm confident he'd have made differences if the other two or should I say Porte didn't bridge the gap.

That attack looked a bit like the ones he was doing on Arrate at Pais Vasco 2014, wasn't hard enough to drop Valverde.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Miburo said:
SeriousSam said:
Miburo said:

Time to put you on ignore. Or you're a troll or you've no clue what you're talking about.

It actually didn't seem like he'd be able to drop them mano a mano before the Giro even started. You seem to have trouble with uncertainty. I guess you'll be sitting on the fence till after the Giro? :p

Re:

ray j willings said:

I don't disagree. I think he's on four cylinders, but I think he'll improve over the rest of the Giro. So I'm happy with that.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
Miburo said:
SeriousSam said:
Miburo said:

It actually didn't seem like he'd be able to drop them mano a mano before the Giro even started. You seem to have trouble with uncertainty. I guess you'll be sitting on the fence till after the Giro? :p

Yeah but now he definetely looks like he can drop them both.

What's exactly the point of refering to what happened before the Giro?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
The Big 3 look to be closely matched in the mountains. I thought Aru would be the strongest but seeing how he seemed to have some trouble closing down the attack from Contador, whereas Richie didn't even really breathe hard just leisurely riding up to Bert, I give the edge to the Devil for now.

I agree with you. But once contador attack, even the gradient aren't that hard, he is already creating a gap. Porte attacked, contador just follow him easily. So that's a good news for Contador. Maybe Porte 2.0 with his marginal gain has improved improved a lot. Today is hardly to really know if they are that strong. But the 3 are closely matched. Uran keeps bleeding seconds. If Contador and Aru can get to 2+ of Uran before stage 14, they can at least concentrate on Porte.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Jspear said:
No doubt he'll be looking to give the jersey up. Hard to say who wants it and who will try to get in a breakaway to get it.

the question is who will they give it too? maybe tonight there's a lot of lobbying going on between oleg and the other team DS. Curious, who are they going to give it too? Please not freaking orica again. Some other team who can control the breakaway so TS boy can rest.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

BlurryVII said:
SeriousSam said:
Miburo said:
SeriousSam said:
Miburo said:

Yeah but now he definetely looks like he can drop them both.

What's exactly the point of refering to what happened before the Giro?

Aru definitely looks like he can drop them both? What? If I didn't know better, I'd think you're thinking I was talking about Contador. That would also explain the heated response I got.

TRENDING THREADS